PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Driving Courses

shcabbeh
25th November 2005, 02:56
Hi there, I'm thinking of sitting a defensive driver's course here in Auckland to knock 6 months off my licence wait and just to improve my bike skills.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any particularly good ones, or whether they're all the same or anything about them really. Any stories or experiences with these courses would be welcome too as I don't know much about the actual courses themselves either.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.:rockon:

thehollowmen
25th November 2005, 07:58
Hi there, I'm thinking of sitting a defensive driver's course here in Auckland to knock 6 months off my licence wait and just to improve my bike skills.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any particularly good ones, or whether they're all the same or anything about them really. Any stories or experiences with these courses would be welcome too as I don't know much about the actual courses themselves either.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.:rockon:

the aa one will do that. Years ago it was $50 and four nights with three hours a night.
But I'd recomend doing the CBTA course at passrite if you can get a place

Squiggles
25th November 2005, 10:11
had your full car for 2 years? (i see you're 19 so u just might have)
if so, you can do cbta

there's street talk (run by pass-rite www.passrite.co.nz , i dont think the aa does them) and defensive driving courses otherwise

shcabbeh
26th November 2005, 01:08
the aa one will do that. Years ago it was $50 and four nights with three hours a night.
But I'd recomend doing the CBTA course at passrite if you can get a place

Ah, cheers for that. When you say if I can get a place, do you mean that it's limited entry or long queue or something?

shcabbeh
26th November 2005, 01:09
had your full car for 2 years? (i see you're 19 so u just might have)
if so, you can do cbta

there's street talk (run by pass-rite www.passrite.co.nz , i dont think the aa does them) and defensive driving courses otherwise

Ah, no I don't have my full car..and I'm 18, not 19.

Appreciate the feedback though, thanks.

Dafe
26th November 2005, 04:08
The CBTA scheme is wrapping up. It's been a trial scheme held by the LTSA.
It's a scheme that involved fast-tracking from your learners to full licence in six weeks.
It has existed for the past 2-3 years but the LTSA have now aquired all the info they require and have indicated to the various regional practices to close up shop.
The final WGTN course is held Dec 12th. Unsure on Auckland dates, but you had better move real fast, hopefully there are spaces left on the last Aucklaand courses.

Jeff da maori
26th November 2005, 05:22
I did a stay upright course many years back. not sure if they are still done but it was really good. went throw a bit of bike setup and theory then we went onto the track (was at manfild) and had a go at emergancy stopping and accelerating, low speed cornering, wet weather riding (it was raining) and when the track dryed out high speed cornering.
thing I remember most was being told when you do an emergancy or hard stop you must be awear that the tintop behind you cant stop like you can so check your mirrors and be prepaired to nail it again to stop getting rear ended.

Squiggles
26th November 2005, 08:46
Ah, cheers for that. When you say if I can get a place, do you mean that it's limited entry or long queue or something?

its limited entry, and alotta people want to get their license quickly :yes:

justsomeguy
26th November 2005, 09:12
its limited entry, and alotta people want to get their license quickly :yes:

Yeah and you also need a clean license:bash:

Zapf
26th November 2005, 12:21
Yeah and you also need a clean license:bash:

no you don't.... I have "had" a ticket for 48km over the limit in a cage on overtaking lanes :doh: (not recommended...)

shcabbeh
27th November 2005, 01:15
Well, worst case scenario I just wait out the extra time for my licence.

I really want to do a course more so for the skills and experience than the reduced time though.

Gremlin
27th November 2005, 01:21
I really want to do a course more so for the skills and experience than the reduced time though.
Thought about that when chatting with John Wright when doing the BHS.

To shorten the normal license length through relatively normal means (ie no CBTA, age thingies etc) means defensive driving when at least 6 months through restricted. It theoretical, but some have said it does actually help.

To gain practical skills, the BRONZ course is for you. Was going to do it this month, but other stuff got in the way. Everybody who has been on it says its really good, must do.

thehollowmen
27th November 2005, 10:12

They're stopping the course soon
Also limited entry if you've got a speeding ticket, I think you're also supposed to have had your cage license for a while.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/publications/rsnz/2003/sep-03.html

here is some info

shcabbeh
27th November 2005, 12:14
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll have a look into that BRONZ course :D