PDA

View Full Version : Make sure your gear fits!

bugjuice
25th November 2005, 10:38
I've noticed a lot of threads/info on nearly everything, but a decent one on making sure, and stressing how important it is, that all of your gear you are wearing fits correctly. That means obviously not too loose, but also as I'm finding out, not too tight.

A friend of mine, gave me a nice pair of race gloves that he just couldn't get to grips with (excuse the pun), so he just gave them to me, and a nice pair too. I stuck them on, and they're too tight, but that's ok, they'll break in, right? well yeah, kinda and to a point. But the wrist has always been a bit tight. At least the gloves will stay on!!
But wrong, the tightness has caused my hands extreme pain, which I've just figured out. The tendons in my hands are a bit buggered and sometimes painful at the moment (couldn't tell from my post count, huh?), cos the gloves have reduced the blood lubin and fueling my hands, so effectively running them dry. You wouldn't do it to an engine would you? So don't do it to yourself. A lot of gear will give, but only so far. Bear that in mind when you're picking out and trying on new stuff. Leather will stretch and give more than fabric. These gloves are a mix. So I'm gonna have to buy new gloves that fit properly now. Hopefully my damage isn't long term and I'll get over it, but at the first sign that you get pins and needles anywhere, have a think about what's going on, and what your body is trying to tell you. Look after it, no one else is.

Equally, things can be too loose. We know what happens when you have loose gloves etc, they fall off.. Well the same thing about your lid too. Mine is getting old. Used to fit fine, but now it moves around a lot. I didn't realise how much until a mate tapped my head/lid, and the helmet moved a lot, and my noggin didn't..
Really don't want to test this out in a crash, but should the worst happen, the helmet would excessively move without my head. But then my head would quickly have to catch up, and potentially damage my neck quick and easily. If it's loose, replace it asa. That's what I'm going to have to do.

Looks like I've got me some saving to do, but since the summer is just about to kick off a goodun, start it off how you mean to finish - in one piece and safe!!!! :2thumbsup
peace.

vifferman
25th November 2005, 10:52
Good post, Buggy.

It's not just gloves and helmets - boots should fit well too, and the armour in jackets and pants won't work unless the garments hold the armour in place. I recently tried on lots of pants at Motomail, and it was interesting that some of them allowed the armour over the knees to move right off the knees. Price had nothing to do with it, with some of the dearer pants being as bad as the cheap ones! Best were the new Spidis, with their new "bio" jointed armour.
My jacket is quite a large fit, and I have to remember when I take the thermal liner out to cinch the arm and body straps in, to ensure the armour stays put in the even of a slide. The first couple I had proved the importance of this, with the kevlar pads on 'high impact' areas NOT bearing the brunt of the impact/abrasion.
My last four pairs of gloves I've bought I've done what you have - bought them a bit tight. It worked fine with the summer-weight gloves, as they stratched nicely, but the waterproof winter ones, with their lining and insulation did not stretch and are still a bit snug.

bugjuice
25th November 2005, 10:54
good point on the amour too. When buying jackets, pants and leathers, stick 'em on and go outside and sit on your bike how you'd normally ride. Then check all the amour and padding is sitting in the right place. If it isn't, take off and find something else. Everyone is a different shape, and each company make them in a different place. It's not something you want to be sorry on

The Stranger
25th November 2005, 10:54
has caused my hands extreme pain, which I've just figured out. The tendons in my hands are a bit buggered and sometimes painful at the moment

Hmm, I wonder, is there more to this storey than meets the eye?

bugjuice
25th November 2005, 10:57
Hmm, I wonder, is there more to this storey than meets the eye?
dunno, yet, I'm eliminating one thing at a time. I've been using the gloves for a few months, which I thought would have shown signs a long time ago, but may be it was just enough to be a 'long lasting' effect, rather than just out-right cut off, of circulation. My hands are fine, until I start riding again. I've been off the bike for a week, and my hands are normal. Get back on with these gloves, and it comes back. I've been riding for years too, so it's nothing new to me. But the gloves are (well a few months). Anyway, kinda wondering OT, but yeah, it's something to watch out for.

just re-read that.. you ain't bein funny, are ya...??

FROSTY
25th November 2005, 11:09
Good thread Buggie.
This especially applies to off the shelf leathers--
To work propperly and give best protection the leathers need tailoring to your body (with back protector in) on your bike.
The difference in my gear since I had it adjusted to fit me is phenominal

Waylander
25th November 2005, 11:58
Hence why I will be exchanging gloves from Quasi for a second time. The first ones were too small and when I closed my fist around the grip on my bike my middle and rng fingers were pressed up hard into the end of the glove and the knuckle protector was pressing down really hard aswell. Making my hand go numb after a short while. Traded up to a larger set and the knuckle protector is still giving me problems. So gonna try and get some of the new ones he has coming in cause I have ridden with a pair like them before and never had a problem for the three days my mate back in the states let me use them.

Lou Girardin
29th November 2005, 07:29
I've noticed a lot of people buy gear that's too loose, "because it feels comfortable".
New gear, especially with thermal liners, should be snug almost to the point of being too tight.
Once you take the liner out, kit that's too loose will flap in the wind and drive you nuts. As well as letting the armour shift.
Unless you live in the colder parts of the country, normally a T shirt is all you need under textile. Even if it is very cold, there are a lot of thin but very effective thermal undergear available. You don't need inch thick jerseys.