PDA

View Full Version : waterproofing "waterproof" pants?

erik
27th February 2004, 17:28
I've got some Fieldsheer pants (this kind (http://fieldsheer.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_31&products_id=86)), and I just went for about a 20 minute ride in the rain.
But now that I'm home, I took the fieldsheer pants off, and my trackpants which I was wearing underneath them, look like I've wet myself.
My brother's had the same problem with some Teknic pants.
I'm hoping to ride to uni on the bike, and walking around uni with a big wet patch by my crotch isn't going to look good. ;)
Should I try to get some waterproof overpants for my "waterproof" fieldsheer pants, or is there something else I can do to waterproof them? My dad suggested some spray stuff that you use to waterproof tents, has anyone tried that?

Help!

Jackrat
27th February 2004, 17:35
I've got some Fieldsheer pants (this kind (http://fieldsheer.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_31&products_id=86)), and I just went for about a 20 minute ride in the rain.
But now that I'm home, I took the fieldsheer pants off, and my trackpants which I was wearing underneath them, look like I've wet myself.
My brother's had the same problem with some Teknic pants.
I'm hoping to ride to uni on the bike, and walking around uni with a big wet patch by my crotch isn't going to look good. ;)
Should I try to get some waterproof overpants for my "waterproof" fieldsheer pants, or is there something else I can do to waterproof them? My dad suggested some spray stuff that you use to waterproof tents, has anyone tried that?

Help!
LINE 7,They NEVER leak.

Zed
27th February 2004, 17:36
My dad suggested some spray stuff that you use to waterproof tents, has anyone tried that?

Help!
Hi Erick, 3M makes such a product called Scotchgard, Selleys do one called Watershield...try them out?

Is it necessary to wear your pants underneath? Take a bag and change into your pants when you get to your destination. :o

Zed

erik
27th February 2004, 17:36
I was just talking with my brother, and he said that his pants are normally ok, that it was just the time when he was riding my bike that they leaked.
He's got a zzr250. He thought maybe the lack of fairings on the zeal might make things worse or something.
Hmmm...
It doesn't help me much to know that though.

(edit)

neat, suggestions already :)

Motu
27th February 2004, 17:47
Wetting yor pants while riding a bike is nothing to ashamed of,happens all the time - don't try and blame it on leaky pants....we all know how you did it!

kasper
27th February 2004, 17:58
Best over pants i ever had was a $50 pair of dririders.

i only jsut lost them 3 horus ago when i was delivering mail on my honda, a bird of some kind flew along the road dead oposite me when he swerved to the right of me he skewered the buton up area on the side. then my kick start wedged in to the the hole and i coudlnt get my knee down to turn so i had to drag my leg out. and RRRRIIIPP snap

I am now sans kicktand since the dririders broke it in to three pieces and my dririders now have the lower front half of the right leg riped to shreads.

btu other than that they are the best, i have never got the soaked crotch problem even in the heaviest of rains, since they grip above yoru waist and down aroudn the base of yoru boot with elastic.

erik
27th February 2004, 20:22
Wetting yor pants while riding a bike is nothing to ashamed of,happens all the time - don't try and blame it on leaky pants....we all know how you did it!

<_<

/me fails to think of a witty retort.

Sorry, I'm not much good at this.

I think I'll give the Scotchguard or Watershield a go, it'd be good if I could get my current pants to be waterproof rather than having something else to store in my locker at uni too. Plus I'm broke right now...

SPman
27th February 2004, 20:49
i coudlnt get my knee down to turn so i had to drag my leg out. and RRRRIIIPP snap
...........................:whistle:

mangell6
27th February 2004, 21:22
Nothing like Line7 - I use the bib front stops the extra water getting in from the jacket.

And if you are in Wellington you can use them when cruising on the harbour :)

Wenier
28th February 2004, 01:19
Hey dude, i was doing the whole travelling to uni thing on my bike last year but i would have more fairing and all i wore rain or shine was draggin jeans.

Now if it rained i found it best to get ur pants fully soaked down the front then it looked like they where meant to be like that and you jus leave puddles in lectures where ever you sit.

but sometimes cus of my fairing i was sweet and wouldnt even get slighty wet

best bet is to use the waterproofing stuff, i no some bike shops have gecko something which is a waterproof that you put on pants and stuff.

And remember nothing can actually be 100% waterproof its only a matter of time before it will leak thru and 100km on the motorway in heavy rain wont help :)

Lou Girardin
28th February 2004, 06:23
Hah! In NZ's monsoon season? No chance.
Seriously, if they're guaranteed 100% waterproof take them back. If not, get an oversuit for heavy rain.
Lou

erik
28th February 2004, 07:09
Now if it rained i found it best to get ur pants fully soaked down the front then it looked like they where meant to be like that and you jus leave puddles in lectures where ever you sit.
:laugh: I hope it doesn't come to that.

I took the pants and jacket back to the shop last week because the bit you hold on the zipper on the pants came off, and because one of the domes on a pocket was broken, so I thought I'd get that fixed at the same time. They had to replace the whole zip on the pants (the zip is goes down the side of the leg, so it's not related to the leaking), I only got them back yesterday.
Red Baron have given me pretty good service, so I don't really want to return the pants. And my brother's pants did the same thing when he rode my bike, and they're a different brand. It does seem like a bit of a scam saying they're 100% waterproof though.

I'll try phoning the shop to see what sort of waterproofer they recommend.

Cheers.

Hitcher
28th February 2004, 07:57
I'm a great fan of the Columbia packable range -- both jackets and leggings. Go for the breathable ones. These are superb over your leathers if you get caught in the rain and they pack away small enough to disappear under the seat on a ZRX1200R.

750Y
28th February 2004, 08:50
take them back, tell them they're not waterproof. ask them for a replacement pair or a refund or a credit(nicely of course). My experience with wet weather gear is that if it leaks, the replacement probably will too so switch brands. Scotchguard will not help You because the leak is actually in the seam of the waterproof inner liner or the zip so save Your money. I can tell You that those stirrup foot pvc jobbies ARE 100% waterproof. Personally, I'd get a pair of those and a refund on the pants which will help the pocket too. Trust me on this I've been here several times. & JR is right about Line7.

bikerboy
28th February 2004, 09:02
I used Scotchguard's heavyduty fabric protector. You can get it at the supermarket, not that expensive. Just make sure you saturate the seams and the seat and do at least three coats in the critical areas. It works really well as I put it on non waterproof pants and they are fine, even in a very heavy downpour, however i do repeat it every year.

If you ride all the time and for longer than an hour at a stretch I''d take them back. If they are called waterproof then they should be. In my experience the only ones that really worked in long downpours were goretex and that is expensive, but if you ride in the wet a lot, it's worth it in the long run. They last for years! :sweatdrop

Andrew
28th February 2004, 13:01
Could it be that you're just sweating heaps?

wkid_one
28th February 2004, 13:06
Go to a hunting/outdoor store like Doyles. Buy a soap free detergent first to fully wash the pants without taking any of the remianing waterproof out.

Then - buy a good hunting waterproof like Gecko and follow the instructions. Worked on all my jackets and pants for the bike.

Ms Piggy
28th February 2004, 15:21
Seriously, if they're guaranteed 100% waterproof take them back. Lou

Yeah that's what I was gonna say too. If they are sold as 100% waterproof and aren't I would take them back in a heart beat! Not much point in having to shell out more money to make them water proof if they aint!

erik
28th February 2004, 20:48
I think if I'd bought the pants recently, and found out they weren't waterproof, I'd take them back. But I've had them for at least 3 months already. I got them before my licence, after I got my licence I borrowed my brother's bike occasionally, but never really rode in the rain, and then I got my own bike a month ago, but it's been having engine problems (sorted now, I think), so I haven't been able to ride it much at all.
So I'm trying the waterproofing stuff. I bought a bottle of Gecko Guard ($26 from Red Baron, it better be good at that price!) and sprayed my pants and jacket, they're drying in the garage now. Fingers crossed it'll work.

Andrew: Nope, I didn't sweat much on that ride.

Redstar
29th February 2004, 20:25
you could always buy the $19 jobs from the warehouse? I have some dry riders and some $19 jobs no problem. If you dont mind looking like a dork in the rain. and actually who cares :eyepoke:
or wear nothing underneath and take some dry pants to UNI and change in the car park :shake:

jrandom
3rd March 2004, 13:49
waterproofing, etc etc, general complaints about Cold Wet Crotch Trickle

The CWCT is an integral part of motorcycling, OK? Honestly. I dunno, the yoof of today, got no gumption, bit of cold water in the goolies and they go all whiney.

er... anyways, I think you'll find that the problem isn't that the pants aren't waterproof, it's that the water blows up under the jacket and then trickles down inside the trousers. I haven't gotten around to figuring out a good solution for this yet but as some of the others have suggested, the roll-up waterproof overalls work a treat and aren't too pricey for a set.

merv
3rd March 2004, 18:09
Yep its been said before on this forum yellow plastic overtrou from Warehouse never leak (until you rip them). Roll up a pair and keep them in your gear bag until needed. I used to use the genuine Skellerup jobs until they finally ripped on my dirt bike footpeg (had them 20 years) but now you can buy the equiv at Warehouse for about $12 and they seem just as thick and tough even though they are made from the highest quality materials available in China.

Holy Roller
3rd March 2004, 18:34
Yep its been said before on this forum yellow plastic overtrou from Warehouse never leak (until you rip them). Roll up a pair and keep them in your gear bag until needed. I used to use the genuine Skellerup jobs until they finally ripped on my dirt bike footpeg (had them 20 years) but now you can buy the equiv at Warehouse for about $12 and they seem just as thick and tough even though they are made from the highest quality materials available in China.
The warehouse ones are great but they do tend to leak in the most unfortunate places after time. But they are cheap at half the price and you can be seen easier in the yellow. If you want something a bit more durable try "SealFlex" by Kaiwaka. You can by them in farmers stores like RD1 or AnchorMart. I used them on the farm and they lasted well untill I decided to get some cows out of the blackberries..... The jacket is still waterproof after two winters on the farm and several years of riding to work. My dream gear would be the Spidi granturismo touring suit But that is half the price of my bike and the Mrs. reckons I dont ride enough to warrent one. I added up the mileage I would have covered in the last 10 years and it was just over 60,000 kms.

wkid_one
3rd March 2004, 18:40
Biggest problem with any waterproof clothing is the seams. Esp the case in trousers. No matter how well they make them you will suffer as every time you hop on the bike you will be pulling on the seam in the crotch. If you don't hitch your trou up before you hop on - you can actually get small little tears in the seam and the waterproofing over the seam that will let the water in. The material itself is waterproof however it isn't always where the needle stitched the seam!