PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! SUZUKI FXR 150 ROOKIE

DJ DOOWOP
28th November 2005, 11:05
Good day. I just got a FXR and saw you are all very knowledgeable with this machine , got a couple of questions;

1. After riding the bike when parked up with the fuel control at OFF there's a little bit of fuel and other substances dripping out of the two black tubes underneath the bike (overflown tubes)?
Is this normal?

2. When changing gears it is advisable to "half Clutch " it to maintain momentum?

3.When up shifting gears is it better to ring throttle back to starting point and slowing accelerating? I found if I don't return throttle back to original point and quickly ring it after gear change the bike loose power....?

4. Recommended speed for each gear?
2 gear- 40k?

4 gear- 100 k/h?:doh:

thank you so much

DJ

jrandom
28th November 2005, 11:23
Welcome along to the forum.

Having the clutch at half-way is called 'slipping' it, and the point thereof is to let the engine run at higher revs while transmitting only part of the rotation to the drivetrain, thereby giving the effect of better torque at lower speeds.

It's the only proper way to launch a 150 from the lights, for example.

Of course, it does wear out the clutch over time, so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Be brutal with the throttle around gearchanges. The stock FXR150 engine has a power hump past about 8500rpm (which can be partially helped with a change in carburetor jetting). Keep the revs over that level through the gears when possible to ensure rapid (for FXR150 values of rapid, anyway) progress.

Don't worry about speed for each gear; just keep an eye on the revs.

phoenixgtr
28th November 2005, 11:35
1 thing to think about with an FXR is that that nice fancy electronic speedo is probably telling you bullshit anyway!! Mine tells me I'm doing 60 when I'm actually doing 52. Ignore it. Listen 2 your revs

BTW Welcome. Good to see another FXR on here

Warren
28th November 2005, 22:07
You should blip the throttle when changing down and 'unblip' the throttle while changing up. You don't need to pull the clutch lever fully in to change gears (or even at all) but half clutching it gives fast gear changes.

Sketchy_Racer
29th November 2005, 12:35
the reason it feels like the bike looses power if you dont do the gear change really quick and ring the throttle back fast, is because the FXR has a CV slide carb on it meaning when you open the throttle it will not take off suddenly as it takes awhile for the CV slide to open up making it feel like its loosing power in gear changes.

hard to explain but yea..

CHeers, GLenn