PDA

View Full Version : Another Close Call!

Zed
28th November 2005, 16:49
It's been a while since I've had a close call on the bike but today I got reminded just how quickly it can all turn to custard. :shit:

I had a great ride out to Piha today, had some lunch and a chat with some 'surfers' then returned home. On the way back I found myself stuck behind a car, a van, and another car for about 5mins before it was *safe* to pull out and pass them all, as you do on a big bike. So we come on to this long straight convoying at about 60kmph and I indicate and pull out to overtake them, drop it into 2nd and boot it, pass the last car and start passing the van but as I'm passing the van he decides to indicate and pass the car in front while I'm passing him!! I had to think real quick so I gave the front brake a handful and pulled right over to the right side of the road as the van was coming out to collect me! I had a mere 5-10 cms of road left before I was a gonner, but thankfully I kept my line and kept braking till the van was in front of me...phew! I'm sure the car I passed was holding his breath too! The van driver just seemed to be oblivious to what was happening?

I'm glad I'm here now typing this post because I could easily be in pain in a hospital ward instead...I think I was going about 120 when the van pulled out with his -0.5 second indication. :wacko:

Some pics of my ride to Piha attached, with one of the airbase in my backyard!

jrandom
28th November 2005, 16:54
Goodness me. Nice escape, Matt, glad you're OK. Cage drivers is stupid cnuts sometimes, ain't they?

Love the picture of the Blackbird and the Herkybird...

2much
28th November 2005, 16:59
Shoulda removed his fucken wing mirror, he obviously doesn't use it anyway!!!

Glad to hear you survived to ride another day...

James Deuce
28th November 2005, 17:05
That's no Herky Bird, that looks like a C17.

Good dodge there Zed. Had that happen more than once.

Sniper
28th November 2005, 17:07
Ouch, not good to hear that Zed. Glad you came out unscathed

jrandom
28th November 2005, 17:09
That's no Herky Bird, that looks like a C17.

Yes, I looked closer after I posted, and realised I'd mis-ID'd. Tail shape all wrong. But only losers edit posts to remove evidence of brainfade. :o

justsomeguy
28th November 2005, 17:14
Glad you're ok Matt.......

Sorry that this happened.....

Hope the bastard gets what he deserves.....

Macktheknife
28th November 2005, 17:22
Damn, that was a close one Zed, glad youre ok man.

White trash
28th November 2005, 17:27
Yes, I looked closer after I posted, and realised I'd mis-ID'd. Tail shape all wrong. But only losers edit posts to remove evidence of brainfade. :o

Bullshit. I do it all the time...........

Yokai
28th November 2005, 17:34
Someone somewhere's looking after you - Thank God. <- this is not necessarily a command ;-)

Glad you're Ok Zed...

Wolf
28th November 2005, 17:34
Congrats on the escape, had similar things happen both on the bike and in a cage - they just don't look. So far I've been fortunate enough to still be behind the moron when he's started the manoeuvre and haven't had quite such a narrow squeak. Good on ya for keeping your head (not that I'd expect other-wise from you.)

heavenly.talker
28th November 2005, 17:39
Some pics of my ride to Piha attached, with one of the airbase in my backyard!

Beautiful day for it Zed!!! Glad that you are okay!!!

Scary situation that could have been very very bad. Good skills to keep it on the road and right side up !:yes:

Scorpygirl
28th November 2005, 17:41
Glad you are OK Zed!! Close call indeed and good skills!!! :yes:

Kickaha
28th November 2005, 17:45
Bullshit. I do it all the time...........

proves the point Fish was making quite nicely then doesn't it :yes:

Fuck I really should keep my mouth shut or I'll be sleeping on the lawn

Zed
28th November 2005, 18:00
Thanks for all the encouraging words KBers, I suppose if each of us shared our close calls on here *when they happened* we'd actually be a tighter, more caring community! (not that we aren't already caring)

Todays experience was one of those reality checks to remind me that as a biker I 'choose' to be in the higher risk group of NZ motorists. :spudbn:

Wolf
28th November 2005, 18:12
Todays experience was one of those reality checks to remind me that as a biker I 'choose' to be in the higher risk group of NZ motorists. :spudbn:
Yep, you choose to have wankers attempt to pull out into the space you're currently occupying. No? Thought not. The dick in the car is responsible for his/her own inattention and probably would have done the same if you'd been in a cage.

You may chose to ride something that affords less protection than a cage but you also chose to keep your wits about you and use whatever advantages the motorcyle affords you to off-set the lack of armour - superior braking, smaller size (more manoeuvring options) etc.

marty
28th November 2005, 18:24

or delete them altogether.....

not to mention the props look like they've fallen off!!!

not many globemasters come here. they are the coolest - huge thrust and load carrying capacity, can pull reverse while airborne to slow down/lose altitude quickly. huge global range. one of the best transport aircraft in the world.

heavenly.talker
28th November 2005, 18:28

Yeah I hear what you are saying there. We had a week like that a wee while's ago. (out of the 4 bikes that we are going away with at christmas/new years all 4 were involved in a drop or bin of some sort) It was a good wake up call about taking it easy out there and not getting complacent in the car parks! responsibility blah blah!

Luckily no one hurt (apart from pride). Bikes ranged from bent number plates to major surgery.

Skyryder
28th November 2005, 18:36
Like all the others Zed glad you did not bin out at that speed. One of the dangers in passing groups of cars is what happened to you. Someone up front pulls out and is unaware that a bike is coming from behind. Don't know all the details but I've been in simular situations in a cage, car in front and I'm wanting to pass so most of my attention is what is going on ahead of me. If I am traveling close to 'ahead' vehicle I am not looking in my side mirrors to much. More interesed in the vehicle behind and providing he is still 'on station' when I am about to pass I doubt if many drivers check their side mirrows before commencing to overtake. No excuse for his poor/lack of signalling.

Skyryder

cowpoos
28th November 2005, 18:54
time for those open race pipes/mufflers and airhorns my friend...

noise saves lives!!!

anyway glad your okay man...nice pics

crashe
28th November 2005, 18:59
You are one lucky person.... and quick thinking in that situation.

Unfortunatly a lady was not so lucky out that way this arvo....
Her car landed in a ditch upside down. RIP.

For all those travelling out Piha way.... please be careful...
Lots of moss out on Scenic Drive road.... and the roads can be very slippery.

Dafe
28th November 2005, 19:06
Thanks for all the encouraging words KBers, I suppose if each of us shared our close calls on here *when they happened* we'd actually be a tighter, more caring community! (not that we aren't already caring)

Fark me, thats one nice machine!!!

I haven't seen a C-17 Globemaster since I was based at Changi Airbase, Singapore!

I guess the close calls are a part of motorcycling. If you overtook while anticipating the possibility of the guy pulling out, you should pull through alright - thats experience for ya! Had it been a noobie, might have been lights out!

Zed
28th November 2005, 19:14

noise saves lives!!!Lol, funnily enuf I have been thinking about getting some cans, and only yesterday did I engage in conversation about how some riders don't use their horns but rely on the loudness of their engines! (I had Waylander in mind)

But like I said poos, it all happened too quickly, van was mainly to blame for pulling out without indication but so was I for accelerating so rapidly!!

Matt Bleck
28th November 2005, 19:14

noise saves lives!!!

Make sure they can hear ya before they see ya! :yes:

Good to hear your still a temporary New Zealander Zed!! :2thumbsup

Hitcher
28th November 2005, 19:15
Someone somewhere's looking after you - Thank God.
It helps if you meet god halfway. Those who help themselves, and all that...

pritch
28th November 2005, 19:18
The dick in the car is responsible for his/her own inattention and probably would have done the same if you'd been in a cage.

In a similar situation in a cage I might have shoved them back to where they came from. If you hit them right it opens their vehicle up like it was hit by a can opener, doesn't damage yours much at all.
(This aint theory, it's empirical data :-)

Obviously not an option if yer on a bike though.

That situation is common and is always a worry...

cowpoos
28th November 2005, 19:21
Lol, funnily enuf I have been thinking about getting some cans, and only yesterday did I engage in conversation about how some riders don't use their horns but rely on the loudness of their engines! (I had Waylander in mind)

But like I said poos, it all happened too quickly, van was mainly to blame for pulling out without indication but so was I for accelerating so rapidly!!

I find people always hear my bike and look for me...I see eys in the rear view and wing mirrors all the time...I havn't had a near miss [touchwood] since owning the TL [came with yoshi's]...and I've never had a load bike before...but now I not only love the noise but swear by the safty side of it...

Zed
28th November 2005, 19:29
...If you overtook while anticipating the possibility of the guy pulling out, you should pull through alright - thats experience for ya!Yes, I like the old Chinese proverb "expect the unexpected". Hard one to live by though.

skidMark
28th November 2005, 19:30
damn close call alright mate glad to see your ok...on another note...

i thinks i have an idea :blip:

bare with me ...

bike...runway....runway + bike = fun speed test....

runway + many bikes = one hell of a speed test day:D

i think we need to have a "chat" to the airfield and ask if we can use thier runway... :D

heck we could even have drag races?

not going too hard though just for a bit of fun get some medics on hand and all that damn sounds like a good plan for an event

and av gas as well :D

im seeing a winning idea :D:D:D:blip:

Zed
28th November 2005, 19:37
...not going too hard though just for a bit of fun get some medics on hand and all that damn sounds like a good plan for an event...You put a bunch of adrenalin consuming KBers on an open runway and you say "not going too hard"!! :lol:

Whenuapai Airbase in the pic already has a riding course going once or twice per month that a number of KBers have been through...I do like the idea of a controlled 'speed day' though.

skidMark
28th November 2005, 19:40
You put a bunch of adrenalin consuming KBers on an open runway and you say "not going too hard"!! :lol:

Whenuapai Airbase in the pic already has a riding course going once or twice per month that a number of KBers have been through...I do like the idea of a controlled 'speed day' though.

:D see who really has the fastest bike...

and the guts to do it without easing off ......see god.... then brake :)

jrandom
28th November 2005, 19:48

You're not helping with the blush factor.

not many globemasters come here...

That's probably why I didn't think 'C-17'.

I should have. I've soaked up all the requisite thinly-disguised-recruiting-propaganda Tom Clancy stuff.

If I were a Murkn, I'd want to join the A/F and drive an A-10. Coolest aircraft ever.

2_SL0
28th November 2005, 19:49
Glad to hear your ok.

RiderInBlack
28th November 2005, 19:53
Yep must have been close call day Zed. Glad you made it.

Had some cu*t in a work truck dropped a lenght of 4x3 in front of me riding home yesterday. Bloody big piece of timber that. Broke in half when it hit the road. It only missed me cause I was sitting behind the wa*ker on his right (if I had been dead centre, I would have been dead in a centre). Pulled upto his drivers window to tell him what I thought, and the fu*ken idiot just grins at me. He had no fu*ken idea (probably thought that a nice Honda Rider was waving hello to him, if there ever was a time for a HD and patch, that was it). I should have turned back for a bit of the 4x3 to smash his fu*ken head in. Too bad that I was too shagged from riding to give a fu*k.

Any how glad you made it Zed:2thumbsup

Swoop
28th November 2005, 20:45
Zed dude, glad your OK!

Hope that co*csuckers wingmirror is in pieces along the road....

That C-17 is "rented" from the USAF to transport the squadron stuff to/from Afganistan since our air farce is incapable of doing anything decent apart from dragging polytician's arses around to meetings, etc...
More of our tax dollars hard at work.

NodMan
28th November 2005, 21:28
i thinks i have an idea :blip:

bare with me ...

bike...runway....runway + bike = fun speed test....

runway + many bikes = one hell of a speed test day:D

i think we need to have a "chat" to the airfield and ask if we can use thier runway... :D

heck we could even have drag races?

not going too hard though just for a bit of fun get some medics on hand and all that damn sounds like a good plan for an event

and av gas as well :D

im seeing a winning idea :D:D:D:blip:

not meaning to pour cold water on ya idea mate but couple weeks back we used an airfield outa wellywood for four bikes to play...buggers charge out at $1,000 just for the backup runway and not even a great surface....

have had a few plays on that field out west aucks...dont know the price but dont think they want me out there anymore...sumfing bout one honda being too quick for their ten BMWs...if you ever see their promo shots of the day the ole Honda is nicely edited out,,,bout the surface out west it will kill a race tyre four times quicker than pukey so it becomes a real expensive day...

vince25
28th November 2005, 22:03
funny, didnt know there was an airbase in piha!

I hate people that do that, they dont look. IDIOTS!!! Ive always said, if everyone who drove a car, also rode a bike, the roads would be a lot safer

tracyprier
29th November 2005, 08:37
Airhorns are great :)

I've only had to use them in anger a few times since I fitted them but they ALWAYS get a "positive" reaction from unaware, half-asleep cagers.

Lou Girardin
29th November 2005, 09:06
They do it to other cages just as readily; the van driver who thought his heap of shit could accelerate fast enough to get ahead of a car doing 30 k's quicker that was right alongside his tail, the driver of the Recreation Services truck who wasn't content with pulling out as he was about to be overtaken, but hit the brakes in the fast lane too.

Silage
29th November 2005, 12:56
It helps if you meet god halfway. Those who help themselves, and all that...

Good comment Hitch. At least Zed, He was keeping a lookout and you managed to steer the right course. Good to hear you are fine.

I find that when 3+ back from the front in a line of traffic that I often regress into cage mode of "wait your turn to pass". Then I realise I can take on a lot smaller gaps, but nana that I am, I pass one then observe what the next is doing before blasting past it. You must get some pretty quick liftoff in second. I generally use third and often find I'm at $1.40 (ish) by the end of the manoever.

Zed
29th November 2005, 13:57
I find that when 3+ back from the front in a line of traffic that I often regress into cage mode of "wait your turn to pass". Then I realise I can take on a lot smaller gaps, but nana that I am, I pass one then observe what the next is doing before blasting past it.I appreciate your nana stance, and I do it from time to time also, but when you've been sitting behind a line of slow-coaches for some time (5 mins is far too long IMO) you just take the first opportunity to pass them and go for it...unfortunately some of the cagers think the same way!

You must get some pretty quick liftoff in second.Ooo yeah! :spudbn:

dawnrazor
29th November 2005, 14:08
Ah the close call, natures way of reminding us all how easy it is to go tits up. If it don't kill you it makes you stronger right. I hate them when they happen, and can be haunted by the what ifs, but you learn from them. I now have an uncanny sixth sense for random U-turns from fellow road users, after a close call with a taxi performing this move in the middle of newmarket. I think I'd rather have a close call then a direct hit anyday!

Bartman10
29th November 2005, 14:30
or delete them altogether.....

not many globemasters come here. they are the coolest - huge thrust and load carrying capacity, can pull reverse while airborne to slow down/lose altitude quickly. huge global range. one of the best transport aircraft in the world.

If I recall correctly these used to be part of the strategic air command, carrying nukes around the world continuously to prevent first strike by the Communists.

They land at Christchurch regularly for the Antarctic programme. Even seen a C5 galaxy there a couple of times.

Nice picture marty, cheers!

ducatilover
29th November 2005, 15:09
man that sounds a bit rough, good you have the brains and experience to get out of that situation:yes:

marty
29th November 2005, 18:22
If I recall correctly these used to be part of the strategic air command, carrying nukes around the world continuously to prevent first strike by the Communists.

They land at Christchurch regularly for the Antarctic programme. Even seen a C5 galaxy there a couple of times.

Nice picture marty, cheers!
\

notice how not one of the guys on the runway is doing any work - you'd wanna be keeping your eye on that 550 tonnes coming towards you - looks like they are at altitude too!

terbang
29th November 2005, 19:42
Makes you wonder if some people just believe the mirrors are there for ornaments.
Good skills and thanks for sharing it..

C17..Had a resonable view of one in flight over the US last year, looked real pretty..