PDA

View Full Version : My first ride on a cruiser

Keystone19
29th November 2005, 08:48
Had to take my SV in for its 18000km service this morning so I picked up a loaner bike from Colemans. It was a cruiser. I’ve never ridden a cruiser before so my ride to work this morning from Colemans proved to be fairly amusing. After I finally got the bike started I headed off on to K Road. My first problem was finding the footpegs. Eek, they were not where I was used to so as I thrashed the poor wee motor in first with my feet dangling wildly to each side I zoomed up on to K Rd. Finally found the foot pegs and got the bike into second. This was also somewhat challenging as the gear lever action is also a little different to what I am used to – higher or longer or something.

I finally got onto the motorway heading north and found my next challenge. Sitting in that slightly more laid back position means the wind tends to try and push your knees out from the bike so I found myself having to work hard to keep my legs attached to the bike. Will have to go to the gym or something to strengthen those abductor/adductor muscles or something.

Interestingly I also found that as I cruised along traffic seemed slightly more inclined to pull out on me this morning. Perhaps I looked smaller or was riding more slowly (in defence it is only a 250 and I was thrashing its guts out to hit 100) so people were less inclined to see me.:blink:

I did find that every time I stopped at lights I had to work hard to find the foot pegs again, legs dangling ominously in strange directions. But I did finally make it to work in one piece, now I just have to make it back to Colemans again…

Devil
29th November 2005, 09:11
Heh, well maybe my experience was a little better because it was an 800cc for the first cruiser ride. People got out of my way.

What kind was it?

heavenly.talker
29th November 2005, 09:14
Had to take my SV in for its 18000km service this morning so I picked up a loaner bike from Colemans. It was a cruiser.

Hey Keystone...might be able to turn you yet :lol: :lol:

EDIT: Into a cruiser girl I meant

HDTboy
29th November 2005, 09:15
Keep those legs together girl :niceone:

jrandom
29th November 2005, 09:18
cruiser... 250

There's your problem. Try a VN800 or summat next. Two fiddys don't count when it comes to cruisers. Those little GZs are downright hairy on the motorway.

Will have to go to the gym or something to strengthen those abductor/adductor muscles or something.

Yup, head up to Contours and hit the ol' Kegelcizer...

Keystone19
29th November 2005, 09:21
Well, yes, she was a little cruisy shall we say, but it wasn't so much the speed as much as not being able to find the damn footpegs - i suppose you get used to it.

As for turning me into a cruiser girl...

Aaaaaagggghhhhh...*runs screaming from the room*

Mr Skid
29th November 2005, 09:21
Perhaps the issues you're experiencing relate to an incompatibility with your 'xtreme circut use only' leathers?

Keystone19
29th November 2005, 09:24
Perhaps the issues you're experiencing relate to an incompatibility with your 'xtreme circut use only' leathers?

:rofl: :rofl:

yeah, I would have looked HOT on the bike in my red xtreme circuit leathers...might have to make a detour home so I can put them on...

crashe
29th November 2005, 09:43
That has to be the same cruiser that Pyrocam borrowed...
He did the same thing swinging his legs everywhere...
It is a funny sight to see.

Now there aint nothing wrong with a 250 cruiser...
Thats cos I own one and she is a beauty to ride.

Keystone, with your legs spread wide like that...
Ummmm thats the natural position to ummm ride.
Ya not getting enough practise in mate. :rofl: :rofl:

Cruise the bike at 100km as its not a VTwin....
so it doesnt have the same power as mine.

Relax on the cruiser and dont try to control her like you would a sportbike..
You handle a cruiser so differently.... and going around corners is very different as well.
No trying to get the bike footpegs to touch the ground or trying to get your knee down either.

dawnrazor
29th November 2005, 09:49
Something similiar happened to me when I dropped the Gixxer off for its first service. But it was a GN250 i think, odd bike I felt completely uncomfortable and it was SO slow. Felt like a tit in all my gear. Must have mentioned it when I bought it back as the next time I got a GSXR1000K5 for the day :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
you only have to ask in advance

zadok
29th November 2005, 09:54
My one and only ride on a cruiser was about 15+ years ago. It was a Suzuki 750cc shafty. It was as gutless as anything. I quite fancy giving it another go on something with a bit more grunt.
I reckon the new Kwaka VN900 will be a good bike. They have gone to fuel injection, belt drive and disc brakes all round. Sounds like a nice package.

Keystone19
29th November 2005, 10:27
No trying to get the bike footpegs to touch the ground or trying to get your knee down either.

Yeah, it scraps the foot pegs pretty easy doesn't it...:doh:

Cibby
29th November 2005, 10:27
:shake: geeze.. i saw the title of this thread and instantly started laughing.

Jill.. You must go and put on your leathers.!!

Actaully with any luck if i smile at ali sweetly enough this weekend i'lll get mind and then you can pillion me around and we can look like absolute geeks.

or hot hardcore biker chicks.. one of the two. :stupid:

Glad your alive.. haha

Colapop
29th November 2005, 11:05
Yeah, it scraps the foot pegs pretty easy doesn't it...:doh:
Really though you're actually lovin' it! I tell ya what how 'bout I swap ya the LS for the SV? An' you can just cruise on into the sunset.....:sunny:

Waylander
29th November 2005, 11:19
Aw.. But it's so much fun to do that on a cruiser lol.

Keystone, it has touched you now and will never leave you. Soon you'll be wondering what it's like to ride a cruiser that has more power to it.:headbang:

Seriously as Fish said, try the VN800. It might surprise you.

And it's Cibby's turn next.

Big Dave
29th November 2005, 12:39
>>Seriously as Fish said, try the VN800. It might surprise you.

Sigh - just when i thought you were making progress too.

Waylander
29th November 2005, 12:41
You would rather I suggest the Trophy for a newbie to ride?

Keystone19
29th November 2005, 13:30
It's alright guys, you can all relax, I've got my baby back.

On assessment, taking everything into consideration, after careful thought and reflection, keeping a completely open mind, my overall opinion on riding the cruiser...

Sorry, it sucked.

thehollowmen
29th November 2005, 13:36
On assessment, taking everything into consideration, after careful thought and reflection, keeping a completely open mind, my overall opinion on riding the cruiser...

Sorry, it sucked.

That's ok
We forgive your moment of madness.
now what model cruiser was it?

Keystone19
29th November 2005, 13:45
That's ok
We forgive your moment of madness.
now what model cruiser was it?

i think it was a Kawasaki EL250.

Devil
29th November 2005, 13:46
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA.
Damn someone should have taken a photo.

SARGE
29th November 2005, 13:47

ooo... sorry bout that one .....

really... really sorry

come see me next time you silly wabbit.. i'lll make sure you get a proper bike ..

Keystone19
29th November 2005, 13:48

really... really sorry

come see me next time you silly wabbit.. i'lll make sure you get a proper bike ..

Thanks Sarge! I'll hold you to that!!!

Devil
29th November 2005, 13:50

really... really sorry

Chuck her an M50 and see if she changes her mind.
Thats what I rode from Holeshot when my bike was getting serviced. I thought it quite entertaining, if a little under-powered. Though the comments from Mr suzuki salesman (who shall remain nameless) said "nah, you just need to rev it a bit"
me:"But its got no tacho? I dont know how hard to push it"
salesguy:"Change up when it goes BRRRRRRRRBRAP BRAP BRAP".

Apparently I was being too nice to it.

The_Dover
29th November 2005, 13:53
I was thinking, I might get a cruiser for my next bike.

and some leather chaps and a french poodle.

and I'm gonna grow a handlebar moustache and change my name to Maurice.

And people will say as I cruise up Ponsonby Rd - "Hey, there goes Maurice on his SavageMaruaderAnalIntruder, dang, he da man!"

Colapop
29th November 2005, 14:00
I was thinking, .....

YOU were thinking .... thats dangerous in itself. But wait ... while you were "thinking" you happened to come up with chaps and a poodle? Is there something you're not sharing?

juzzer
29th November 2005, 14:03

Dover's new look....

The_Dover
29th November 2005, 14:03
Yeah, it must be all this cruiser talk and the fact I wore my pink shirt to work today.

Definitely it, but I did look quite cool cruising up Ponsonby Rd in the sunshine wearing my pink shirt on the SV....

Cibby
29th November 2005, 14:08

And people will say as I cruise up Ponsonby Rd - "Hey, there goes Maurice on his SavageMaruaderAnalIntruder, dang, he da man!"

you and gaylander could share tips on how to shag your mrs on the back huh??

haha

p.s nice pink shirt..

p.p.s dover forgot to mention that he was also wearing silver and black cufflinks.. to match the sv ofcourse.

p.p.p.s does anyone else wonder what he was doing on ponsonby in a pink shirt?

dawnrazor
29th November 2005, 14:18
It's alright guys, you can all relax, I've got my baby back.

Sorry, it sucked.

Didn't sound like there was ever going to be any doubt about that. Maybe you' should retro fit the SV with chopper bars, widow maker forks, sissy bar and new foot rests - oh and a tear drop tank, just to be sure lol :doobey:

ManDownUnder
29th November 2005, 14:21
p.p.p.s does anyone else wonder what he was doing on ponsonby in a pink shirt?

Yeah - the bastard was taking business on my patch...

ManDownUnder
29th November 2005, 14:23

Bastard - that pic has the "Macho Man" song going around in my head now... bloody Village People

The_Dover
29th November 2005, 14:27
you and gaylander could share tips on how to shag your mrs on the back huh??

Freddie isn't my missus, he's just a friend.:buggerd:

Keystone19
29th November 2005, 14:48
Yeah, it must be all this cruiser talk and the fact I wore my pink shirt to work today.

Definitely it, but I did look quite cool cruising up Ponsonby Rd in the sunshine wearing my pink shirt on the SV....

So long as it wasn't MY SV.

ManDownUnder
29th November 2005, 14:48
Freddie isn't my missus, he's just a friend.:buggerd:

uh huh....

c'mon - you KNOW you want to...