PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye little GSX - Could someone help with a pickup please? (Piha area)

WildBoarMouse
30th November 2005, 06:35
Hi all... The first crash has to happen at some point :cry:

I'd been stuck in Canada for four weeks (work), got back on Monday, and last night thought "oooh! It's 7.30pm and still light enough for a ride". So I stopped the DVD half way through (why?!?!), managed to get the bike started, and headed out to Piha. I hadn't taken Lone Kauri Road on the bike before, so I toddled around there at a very sedate pace enjoying just being on the bike and looking at the scenery... Stopped at Karekare beach for five minutes, and followed through to Piha.

A few hundred metres shy of the Piha Rd & Karekare Rd intersections I came around a corner (not at any great speed), found some gravel on the road (I assume), and the next thing I knew I was on the other side on the road in the ditch on my knees wondering "what the hell just happened?"

The road is bloody narrow (two cars nearly scrape mirrors)... Anyway, a very nice british couple stopped to help me up and try to sort out the bike... it's completely fuct. I always assumed my first crash would be a low side and that the bike would have a few damaged bits that I could repair... I don't think I was going more than 50-60 but when the bike hit the soft gravel on the road-side it just flipped me right over the top. I'm pretty sure I could have made it if I hadn't broken the #1 rule of not focusing on where you don't want to go. It gave me such a bloody fright the survival reactions kicked in... :(

At the time, I couldn't find a fairing that wasn't damaged... the front wheel is at a 30 degree angle to the handle bars... :cry: Thank the biker gods that I payed out good dollars for the body armour! The helmet is scratched on the right, back, and top, and there's a patch of abrasion on the back of my right shoulder. No other marks on my gear, but a bit bruise on the back of my right shoulder "uh-oh"

Anyway... the couple very nicely dropped me back at Henderson A&E where I was overjoyed (not) to find out I'd broken my right shoulder at the end of the collarbone... I have 3 days left of my current job before starting my new job on Monday, 30km away... and I can't drive for at least four weeks :angry2:

Hopefully ACC will help pay for the taxis...

The current problem is that my bike is still in the ditch (upright on centre stand) out on Karekare road... I don't think there's much risk of it being stolen in it's current condition but that's pretty hard to say. :(

Is there anyone that I could pay to help lend a hand with recovery please?

And just to add to the L plate discussion, I "thought" about removing the plate before I went out... very glad I didn't because at least this way the insurance company can't turn that back around at me.

I definitely didn't think I'd be posting this here so soon into my riding career... but there it is for you. :( I'm still going through the hundreds of "what ifs"... what if I hadn't stopped to listen to the birds, what if I hadn't looked at the beach info board...

Anyway, if someone could please offer some assistance it would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably try to take the bike in to Haldanes in Eden Terrace.

Thanks all... I'll post some photos when I get a chance. :(

Darcy
WBM

hXc
30th November 2005, 06:56
Sorry I can't help but shame about the crash. Hope you recover soon and get back riding.

Posh Tourer :P
30th November 2005, 06:57
you should always carry your emergency contact list with you..... see the 'members offering help' thread...

stify
30th November 2005, 06:57
bugger!!, sorry can't help with transport got a bungfoot(fu#ken work related injury) call ya insurance co, they should transport it for you

Sniper
30th November 2005, 07:05
Sorry to hear about the accident matey

WildBoarMouse
30th November 2005, 07:19
The poor bike only had 6000 km on the clock. :( Not a scratch on it... (sob) Just got off the phone with ACC. It doesn't sound like transport too and from work will be a problem thankfully! Still waiting for insurance company to switch on phones.

skelstar
30th November 2005, 07:21
Mate thats just unlucky. Hope you get back on your bike soon.

Good Girl
30th November 2005, 08:37
Hey rodant-pig-thing ,
First time for everything - its happened to the best of us for being mad cunts or dicks

Just hope you gotta bita cop-on mate!!!

Still Standing Mate GOOD TA HEAR

ducatilover
30th November 2005, 09:00
faark bugger mate.... my first real crash happened at 160 and i didnt break anything:blink: thongh i'm not proud..... what are ya gonna do for a bike? if you are fixing it why not go for a bandit front and a bikini fairing? much cheaper than full fairing and lighter

crashe
30th November 2005, 09:00
Sorry to hear about ya bin...

What about contacting Frosty as he has a van and he lives out west.
He maybe able to pick it up tonight for you....

crashe
30th November 2005, 09:01
faark bugger mate.... my first real crash happened at 160 and i didnt break anything:blink: thongh i'm not proud..... what are ya gonna do for a bike?

Yes ya did... ya broke ya bike and its now farked.

Sniper
30th November 2005, 09:09
faark bugger mate.... my first real crash happened at 160 and i didnt break anything:blink: thongh i'm not proud..... what are ya gonna do for a bike? if you are fixing it why not go for a bandit front and a bikini fairing? much cheaper than full fairing and lighter

Oh wow, I never heard about that, please tell me.......... :finger:

Bulldog
30th November 2005, 09:22
I crashed my 150 2 storker going out there racing my mates. That was only 5ks old too. Don't be too hard on yourself, it happens to all of us. You gotta get back on the horse. I bought an NSR 250 after that and never looked back.

I would have assumed that your insurance company would cover the cost of it being taken away. I'd call them asap to enquire.

If I had a ute or something I'd be there tonight...but I don't bugger it.

2much
30th November 2005, 09:42
Mate, that sucks eggs... sorry to hear it.

Try to remember, any crash you can walk away from is a good one.
Thank god for the british couple.

imdying
30th November 2005, 11:45
Ring your insurance company, they'll send a tow truck :)

ducatilover
30th November 2005, 13:05
Yes ya did... ya broke ya bike and its now farked.
apart from that......:doh:

DemonWolf
30th November 2005, 14:19
Hope you recovery from your injuries quickly and fully. Sorry to hear about the bin... Hope the insurance also pays out! Good luck

ducatilover
30th November 2005, 14:23
know how you feel man, i wrote my 2002 gsx250 of recently:(
sucks not having a bike....i was going to buy a gsx [2003] but i didnt have the money...nice bikes though:msn-wink:

WildBoarMouse
30th November 2005, 14:45
Hey all... thanks for the support :) I'm still pretty pissed off at myself, and I'd be pretty happy (all things considered) if my shoulder was just bruised. No such joy though. :( Anyway, it could have been one hell of a lot worse. Hey Lou, if you read this, thanks for the safetey gear. I'm pretty sure that saved me from a shattered shoulder!!!

The insurance company approved the recovery and we (coast to coast + me) dropped the bike off at Haldanes this morning. First impressions were that it's a write-off... bugger. I just hope I get paid out enough from insurance to cover the cost of hte bike. The only intact piece of plastic was the back right fairing... I simply can't get over the damage done by a 50-60 kmh crash. I'm pretty sure the bike flipped over at some point as it was facing back down the road when we pulled it out last night. That would definitely explain the fuct fairings on all corners.

WHat I don't understand is how most of the damage is on the left side of the bike, yet I ended up doing all the damage to me on the right. I simply have 0.0 recolection of what happened during the crash itself. Oh well... it'll forever remain a mystery I suppose.

Thanks again all... :)
Darcy

ducatilover
30th November 2005, 15:13
written off? is that because of the fairing and bars?:blink:

WildBoarMouse
30th November 2005, 15:40
that sounds about right... only back right fairing is intact. Everything else is damaged. Needs whole new front end. front wheel looks okay at the moment. seat needs replacing too. instruments, gear leve, brake lever seem okay. didn't check handles. will find out in a day or three.

dawnrazor
30th November 2005, 17:33
sorry to hear about your spill, thankfully there was nothing coming the other way.

This is a little late, but order a set of crash bungs from these guys for your next bike, worth ever penny.

http://www.rg-racing.com/

only cost about $200

they have other cool stuff as well.

ducatilover
30th November 2005, 20:45
fairings on my bike =$2800 to replace, then repainting subframe scratches, gear cover thingee and all the other cracked bits came to 6k
mother fucker:blink: just buy a new one:yes: i know of two minters for less than 5500

ducatilover
30th November 2005, 20:47
The are really gutless though....good for learning but no balls...oh, i spose thats a good point:lol: they get to 170 thoughi only weigh 55kg:thud:

Speedy
30th November 2005, 21:42
Dude that sux at leats ur in 2 peice i have low sided my GSX but who give a F&%k it happens , u could always get another there are a couple on trade me 4 4500.. , I just wana point sumthing out a GSX is not gutless at all i depends on how u ride , i have changed my rear sprocet 2 and runs so much better (i weigh 87kg) with full leathers as well and it still canes it , i hope u get another 1 soon dude , good luck!

Leong
1st December 2005, 12:46
Sorry to hear hear about your bin. Though you're not completely unscathed and timing with the new job etc isn't the best, it probably could have been worse. I had mine about 6 weeks ago and reading about your's has reminded me about how lucky I was....

I hope everything works out fine for you healthwise, riding and the new bike!!

Sketchy_Racer
1st December 2005, 13:20
oh, i spose thats a good point:lol: they get to 170 thoughi only weigh 55kg:thud:
midget!!! im 67 kg and i got one of them up to near on 180!! :blink: damn funny it was revving it tits off !

ducatilover
1st December 2005, 14:34
midget!!! im 67 kg and i got one of them up to near on 180!! :blink: damn funny it was revving it tits off !
i backed off cos it wasnt gaining any speed and the road was kinda getting shorter

Sketchy_Racer
1st December 2005, 16:19
fair enough.

cool bikes handle o.k (the one i rode had shit tyres though)

Give the engine another 20hp and it would be awesome!!

ducatilover
1st December 2005, 20:56
fair enough.

cool bikes handle o.k (the one i rode had shit tyres though)

Give the engine another 20hp and it would be awesome!!
maybe get my bros650 engine and slap dat in? its physically smaller than most 250's [handles better too except it has shit forks]:whocares:

Macktheknife
4th December 2005, 21:22
Sorry to hear about your bin mate, but look at it this way; you're basically ok and the bike is insured. Everything else doesn't really matter, learn from it and recover well, this will probably not be the last time.... sorry.
Glad to hear your ok