PDA

View Full Version : My horn is too small

pzkpfw
30th November 2005, 07:46
Hi,

A couple of times now, I've wanted to beep at some doofus in a car or van or something.

But I haven't because the horn on my bike sounds like something a 5 year olds' tricycle would have. [Darn embarassing when I first got the current bike and tended to hit it instead of the Indicator.]

My old bike (an RD250/350LC) had had an air-horn put on it by a previous owner. I liked that.

So my questions:
Is this "approved" by the general biking public?
If I put one on my NZ250 would I look like a poser?
Does anyone recommend something?

(I'm not looking for air-horns that play la-kook-a-ra-cha!)

Thanks.

Cheers,

Colapop
30th November 2005, 07:58
search the forum for horn or horns and you'll get some good suggestions.

Sniper
30th November 2005, 07:59
Thats errrr, something you should really not share on the site man. You can get pills to make your horn bigger, but I wouldn't know.

There have been a couple of threads on airhorns, do a search and you will find them.

Colapop
30th November 2005, 08:00
Like here
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=20426&highlight=horn

vifferman
30th November 2005, 08:06
Some things you can do, if you don't want to spend too much money / go to too much trouble.
Check the contacts on the wires/plugs are clean.
Wind the little screw on the back of the horn out a little bit - this will make it louder.
Fit another horn of the same sort, and wire both horns through a relay to the battery (using a fuse, of course). This will be VERY loud if you do it right.

SPORK
30th November 2005, 08:43
The (in)famous Wari had a very similar thread I think. A quick search of "pea-nuss" reveals this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=4443&highlight=pea-nuss) to be the offending thread in mind. It's a goodun

tracyprier
30th November 2005, 09:33
Simple dual-note airhorns, nice compact sized compressor, $36.00 from Supercheap autos... go get 'em, highly reccomended :)

oldrider
30th November 2005, 09:53
Motu replied to an earlier thread about bike horns and he said that a small model Chrysler car (with which I am not familiar) had a very nice horn on it. Reminiscent to the car horns of the 1950's they were really smooth and loud. I have been making enquiries around about down here but so far have drawn a blank. The horns on Jap cars and bikes are pathetic. Cheers John.

pzkpfw
30th November 2005, 11:22
Sorry - I'd not noticed the search-forums thing before.

I'm off to SuperCheap* this weekend, so I'll take a look for the suggested item.

(*I have to "complain" anyway - the set of metric spanners I bought had a 9/16 mixed in...)

Cheers,

imdying
30th November 2005, 15:49
The electric horns are worth a look, slightly smaller than air horns. They're shaped a bit like a french horn, they'll have them for sure. The sound is plenty loud, and much like the noise one expects from an Italian cars horn. In fact, iirc it's the type of horn fitted to many Italian cars. I've had airhorns on a bike before, and while they were quite effective, I'd recommend the electrics ones over them if for no other reason than size. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the tone or volume. Happy buying :)

SPman
30th November 2005, 16:40
(*I have to "complain" anyway - the set of metric spanners I bought had a 9/16 mixed in...)

Cheers,
Well - it was SuperCheap.....

Eurodave
30th November 2005, 16:43
Thats errrr, something you should really not share on the site man. You can get pills to make your horn bigger, but I wouldn't know

Have you tried that vacuum pump thingy a "friend" told me about?;)

Biff
5th December 2005, 11:47
Motomail sell decent 'honkier' honkers.

heavenly.talker
5th December 2005, 20:39
Thats errrr, something you should really not share on the site man. You can get pills to make your horn bigger, but I wouldn't know.

There have been a couple of threads on airhorns, do a search and you will find them.

It's not the size of the horn that matters it's how loud and long it can go!:bleh:

Brian d marge
6th December 2005, 02:29
both horns through a relay to the battery (using a fuse, of course). This will be VERY loud if you do it right.

Very important, switches can handle about 4 amp ( from memory ) , also Use the correct wire size for the Current,

or the smoke will escape causing the cricket to stop playing with itself .....and The driver of the SUV continues along the path of Dooooom

Stephen

FROSTY
12th December 2005, 06:50
why not just a decent car horn at $10. --still a shit load loder than a bike horn

rocketman1
12th December 2005, 20:01
Ask sensible question and get a pile dickwits answering aye!
I need a new horn for my bike, anyone know if you could use
a small car horn off say a bmw ( they sounds good) or would it blow the fuses?
I agree most bike horns are a joke wouldnt scare a mouse

Swoop
20th December 2005, 18:20
*hangs head in shame* holden horns are the most embarassing ones made... The rest is OK, but my grand plan to get all kiwis behaving like Italian drivers is coming apart at the seams!!!
*runs off for a quick cry*:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: