PDA

View Full Version : Te Windows

idb
30th November 2005, 10:41
Are you viewing this on Windows version Te Reo?
What a great idea to promote the language.

Sniper
30th November 2005, 10:42
What the? Please explain.

EDIT: For fuck sake. Microsoft release a dodgy OS at the best of times. Don't they learn?

idb
30th November 2005, 10:45
What the? Please explain
The Maori version of Windows and Office has been released in the last day.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0511/S00429.htm

HDTboy
30th November 2005, 11:46
Now that's PC

sAsLEX
30th November 2005, 11:54
wonder if the spell check includes chur, au, bro etc

though i see they had to invent a whole bunch of new words to cover the stuff they obviously didnt have back in the day and was talking to a maori mate about how they would know the new words and he just said "well the cut and paste icons will be the same, no need to use the new words"

pt

DingDong
30th November 2005, 12:05
I cant see why Microsoft hasnt done this prior, it's just another language to add to the list with a simple down load so why not.

I maybe interested in getting it just for the vocab list, and then Id know the correct name for the program would be "Nga Matapihi XP 2006"

idb
30th November 2005, 12:13
I cant see why Microsoft hasnt done this prior, it's just another language to add to the list with a simple down load so why not.

I maybe interested in getting it just for the vocab list, and then Id know the correct name for the program would be "Nga Matapihi XP 2006"
So they have a Maori dictionary/thesaurus installed as well so that you can compose a document in Maori and have it spellchecked and grammarisated?

idb
30th November 2005, 12:17
What the? Please explain.

EDIT: For fuck sake. Microsoft release a dodgy OS at the best of times. Don't they learn?
Yeah but it might be a brilliant anti-virus strategy.
It might reduce the ability of some spotty geek in Bulgaria from writing a nasty to get at it if all the commands are in Maori?

SPman
30th November 2005, 19:01
grammarisated !

I feel a Hitcher attack coming on.........................

idb
30th November 2005, 19:06
grammarisated !

I feel a Hitcher attack coming on.........................

You'll find it in the Inuit version of Windows.

SPORK
30th November 2005, 19:17
Better than the Aztec version, which just dissappeared...

I want Te Reo Office! It would be a hoot. Not enough people say things would be a hoot.

Hoot Hoot Hoot Hoot Hoot Hoot Hoot Hoot Hoot Hoot Hoot Hoot

Hitcher
30th November 2005, 19:27
One was going to make a flippant comment about writing in one's native tongue but one paused and thought better of it. One also wondered as to whether Maori has an apostrophe to denote possession or whether there was a naff Americanism for arse (whero)...

madboy
30th November 2005, 20:03
Didn't the Treaty specify unlimited sovereignty over the Internet?

idb
30th November 2005, 22:58
Now that's PC
Aaaahahahahahaha.
It's 10 hours later and I just got that!!!!!!

Now I'm just waiting for cockney windows.

In the meantime I'll just have to head down the apples before I get myself in right barney!

Posh Tourer :P
1st December 2005, 04:15
One was going to make a flippant comment about writing in one's native tongue but one paused and thought better of it. One also wondered as to whether Maori has an apostrophe to denote possession or whether there was a naff Americanism for arse (whero)...

that is ar'se to you....
and no, Maori does not use s as possessive or plural. They pluralise the predicate (I think that is the right term), and use the form 'The xyz of zyx' to indicate the possessive, with no shorter form (as far as I'm aware).

Not quite paradise though, as the naff americanism for whero would be 'wee-roh', much the same as the naff americanism for Tauranga is 'Tiran-gah

The_Dover
1st December 2005, 07:51
Cool, now I can balance the books for my tinnie house and make flyers for my next hikoi in maori.

Te Reo Office.....WTF? Te Reo Dole Office.........

Lias
1st December 2005, 08:39
Worst fucking idea EVER.

Given that wolf and I do IT support for a maori organisation we are viewing this with intense trepidation. Only 1 (non technical) manager in our 30+ person IT department is fluent in Te Reo, trying to support it would be a total fucking nightmare. We have a hard enough time trying to discourage staff from using keyboard macron software.

*wanders off to polish his rifle and mutter about the evil lusers*

Badcat
1st December 2005, 08:50
Yeah but it might be a brilliant anti-virus strategy.
It might reduce the ability of some spotty geek in Bulgaria from writing a nasty to get at it if all the commands are in Maori?

dude.
windows IS a virus.

K

Wolf
1st December 2005, 10:17
A mate of mine bought a laptop through The Loot, she took me around to the person's place to check out the laptop before she parted with her hard-earned readies. We get there and the Windows 9x is in Chinese. So I figure we're going to have to reinstall Windows. In order to do this of course, I have to have a valid Product Code (I had a disc at home with the appropriate version of Windoze on it but it was licensed to me and I was not prepared to put my unlock key into someone else's machine. So I navigated my way through Chinese Windoze on this machine - into regedit, and found my way to where the ID key is hidden (fortunately the registry keys were labelled in English) and wrote down the Prouduct Code.

The Chinese chick my friend was buying the machine from was most impressed that I had been able to find my way around Windows despite all the icons being labelled in Chinese. Guess I'm just too familiar with the Windows environment.

This is what LiasTZ and I will have to do if machines start being switched over to Maori Windas...

I'm capable of spouting my whakawhanaungatanga and performing both karakia and whakautu, simple greetings etc, but I doubt I'm at the point of comprehending "Technical Maori" beyond "te Rorohiko" (which mean's I'll be able to translate the "Taku Rorohiko" icon but I already know what the "My Computer" icon looks like in any case.