PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressures - KDX200

kamikaze
30th November 2005, 18:45
Hi guys,

I feel like a dumbarse asking this but I really have no idea what the recommended tyre pressures for my '90 KDX200 are. Can anyone help?

Any practical experience or advice would also be appreciated?

In case someone gets all Einstein working things out ...
so far as I know the suspension is standard, tyres are knobbly (as are my knees), I weigh 65kg and I'm just getting back into offroad riding so I'm novice.
Plan to be riding forestry/bush type terrain or sand.

Thanks in advance

Cary
30th November 2005, 20:09
I run between 10 - 15psi

10 for really muddy/sand conditions, if theres a lot of exposed tree roots i'd go for 12. 15 for hardpack/stones etc

kamikaze
30th November 2005, 21:27
... or lower on the front?

F5 Dave
2nd December 2005, 13:29
I run kinda the same, if there is a risk of punctures then the front could get clobbered by the rock you strike. If it is sloppy then both ends will like the traction.

Decent thick inner tubes will help prevent punctures, bridgestone do some thick trail types. For your weight/speed you can get away with the lower end of the scale.

**R1**
2nd December 2005, 15:20
yeah what the other guys said, I find that just 2 or 3 psi can make a huge dif depending on terain(SP)

Cary
5th December 2005, 14:03
... or lower on the front?

Front is more sensitive to the pressure, rear not so important. Normally i don't drop rear below 12psi but front I do change every time to suit track conditions. If Ardmore has been watered I will run 10psi (front, rear stays on 12 all day) then up it to 14-15 as track drys out and becomes hardpack with sharp braking bumps etc.

What i was told when learning is you can always lower the pressure out on the track but not increase it.............(applys more to Desert Storm 30k loops etc)

If I go on a ride where i don't know the conditions I will run 15 front/rear then change to suit for the next loop. Only if conditions are real sloppy will I drop pressures on track, but thats me being lazy!

As F5 Dave says, pays to run/buy the heavy duty tubes.

Wellyman
12th December 2005, 22:09
Therre is no real set pressure. reeally depends on the conditions. But keep them pumped for the rocky stuff becuase a flatty is a bad way to end the day.I run around 10-15 usually.
WM

race_demon
18th March 2006, 12:30
heya i got a kdx 125 and i dont have the manual (ok stop laffing now the owner didnt give it to me) and im wodnerign what the pressures are for that tis my daily commuter (if nothing breaks) so im not worried about goign fof road cheers