PDA

View Full Version : WTB: New or near new helmet

beanz
1st March 2004, 12:35
Need a new or near new helmet to go with my new bike and new learners license. Hoping to get a cheap one for $100 or less. (My head is 58cm give or take a bit)

Cheeeeeers!

Solarwind
1st March 2004, 13:17
Need a new or near new helmet to go with my new bike and new learners license. Hoping to get a cheap one for $100 or less. (My head is 58cm give or take a bit)

Cheeeeeers!

And your head is only worth $100 or less, I take it :beer:

Hoon
1st March 2004, 13:32
Try Cash Converters they have lots of cheap unwanted helmets.

Motoracer
1st March 2004, 13:34
If you want a brand new one, rush to Motomail and see if they still have the Cirus helmets on sale for 100. If not, colemans can do you a good deal on a Cirus or CMS for a bit more than a hundy (still really cheap for a brand new one).

As for a second hand helmet, Most people including me would recommend you to not bother with one if you can avoid it.

Edit: Speaking of which HO-hoon, I am outraged by the rates of Cash Converters. There was a scratched up suommy with the visor missing for almost 200. I know its a Suommy but if its been crashed in, it ain't worth shit!! That was in the New Market shop.

Motu
1st March 2004, 13:56
Yeah,I can still get those helmets beanz,but the guys getting a bit pissed off with bringing me a helmet,then me bringing it back.

The prices at Cash Converters seem to have no relation to value of the article,it's the price they pay that denotes the price.All the helmets were priced at about $75 when I saw a Nolan N70 in as new condition,one hell of a price when the others on the shelf I wouldn't even put on my head.They gave me discount for cash,bargin of the year 3 yrs ago.

beanz
2nd March 2004, 13:14
Yeah, thanks ho-hoon for the (blunt) advice. Since I wrote the post, I've read likeminded articles, and been convinced.

And thanks motoracer, have got a motoracer catalogue and found the cirus cs-10 for $150. Looks fine to me.

Is there much difference as far as safety goes between the $200 helmets and the $1000 helmets? Or is it the style/features that you're paying for?

Motoracer
2nd March 2004, 13:46
Don't buy it for 150 from Motomail. It'll definetly be cheaper at Colemans than that. If it isn't, ask them to make it cheaper. Motmail is only good during their big sales (there was 50 dollars off that Cirus helmet on the last sale).

BTW, I think Motu had great helmets for sale at a great price. Might pay to ask him more about it.

As for the 1000 dollar helmets, of course they are a bit safer but I think most of the money goes in comfort, style and brand name.

I have got one of thoes $100 Cirus head buckets as well. I find it comfertable enough (mind you I don't care much for comfort), it actually is about 50-100 grams lighter than helmets 5 or 6 times its price and the best thing is that its brand new. If I have a off, I'll just go get me another one. Its cheap enough to be disposable!

wkid_one
2nd March 2004, 14:29
Question - why spend thousands on your bike and only $100 on your helmet?

Stupid if you ask me.....

I know where you can get some $25 tyres as well......and you could just get some polyprop gloves - they will keep your hands warm enuf! That old blue bomber jacket will suit the bike as well.

Sorry - this pisses me off......why buy a bike if you can't afford decent gear?

Harsh response I know - but hey - I know first hand the value of decent gear in an off.

Motoracer
2nd March 2004, 14:35
Tell me my helmet looks crap, true... tell me its not the lightest, true... tell me it makes lots of noise at high speeds, true... but tell me its not safe and I will stop wearing it the second I am convinced by a logical answer backed up with facts.

Fact is that if you are willing to compromise with all of above EXCEPT safety, you will find a cheaper helmet that isn't all that flash but still has got the approval of the safety authorities.

Hitcher
2nd March 2004, 15:06
I must be ailing but I am in agreement with WKID! And (to wind up St Zed) if you can't afford decent gear you should buy a scooter!!

Motoracer
2nd March 2004, 15:34
if you can't afford decent gear you should buy a scooter!!

I agree and remember that I am the one who used to wear Alpine star boots and gloves, 1 piece race leather suit, HJC helmet and a back protector when riding around on my 50cc scooter. I say, even if you are on a scooter, wear the proper gear!

but hang on, that wasn't the argument. Who said the Cirus helmets are not safe or not decent? So it doesn't have Aria or Shoie or AGV written across the forehead or has flashy air vents or has race replica graphics or is like putting your head through heavenly clouds, it'll still protect you during a crash! Think about where the money is going when buying a helmet.

Sorry for being a prick and writting lots of posts about this but I am just trying to make my point clear and clear the misunderstandings.

Hitcher
2nd March 2004, 16:20
Cirus is HJC's "budget" helmet. I'm sure that they're not going to take risks where people's heads are involved (And Mrs H wears a Cirus)...

Coldkiwi
2nd March 2004, 16:46
if its got the AS/NZS approved sticker, its good to go if its new. same sticker goes on CMS, FFM, Arai, Roof, Shark... etc etc... probably much of a muchness given how much you pay for the top end ones but after a while you'll probably decide the added comfort/non-foginess/quietness is worth paying a bit more for. Good luck :)

wkid_one
2nd March 2004, 17:05
There is the degree to which it passes the standards also. There is passing just and hell passing. I am sorry - when it comes to your head - NOTHING is good enuf.

IF it costs $100 - fuck all R&D, Materials etc has gone in to it - you get what you pay for.

If it costs peanuts - it was made by monkeys

Motoracer
2nd March 2004, 17:21
If NOTHING is good enough, nothing more can be said there...

As far as the 100 dollars helmet goes, the full story is that the HJC helmet line up where mass produced as they supplied good quality for cheap which is why they were VERY popular. When the new flash models came in from HJC, the older model HJC helmets which were still good but just became out dated were given the Cirus name and sold dirt cheap for $149.95.

Since Motomail have their anual sale, they decided to make it $99.95 down from $149.95. Hence the 100 dollar head bucket which really is an older model HJC helmet which were selling for about $200 - $300 only a few years back.

beanz
4th March 2004, 15:12
Feel like I've opened a can of worms, but cheers everyone for your opinions. I ended up buying a $150 CMS helmet from Colemans, which was reduced from $250... so should keep everyone above happy. :banana:

Motoracer
4th March 2004, 15:53
Feel like I've opened a can of worms, but cheers everyone for your opinions. I ended up buying a $150 CMS helmet from Colemans, which was reduced from $250... so should keep everyone above happy. :banana:

Well done, congrats on the bargain :niceone:. Colemans have always managed to impress me.

Coldkiwi
4th March 2004, 16:29
a can of worms indeed.

Interesting comment Wkid. How does ANYONE know they're buying a safer helmet just because they paid more for it? As much as helmet manufacturers are makign safety products, they are driven by cost to be financially viable. this WILL limit investing money of thing like R&D and extra safety features that don't provide a notable return. if an Arai gets the same rating as a KBC, what is going to make Arai spend so much more cash on safety if they haven't got a concrete way of selling their investment?? They either need a massive publicity campaign on safety features (rare) or some other feature (flashy race rep graphics) to sell the product.

i know some companies go the extra yard (lazer have steel chin bars) but i beleive its very very rare for economic reasons. happy to be proven wrong tho!!

Rocket
13th March 2004, 09:15
anyone got some URLs where i can view some helmets and reviews etc?

Rocket
14th March 2004, 18:26
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets/0001-0026-1252-/auction-9606407.htm