PDA

View Full Version : Sunstrike - any tips??

Leong
1st December 2005, 12:25
Coming back from Maraetai a bit later than usual yesterday, had a bit of hayfever, slightly watery eyes, then extreme sunstrike as well. Not good!! Apart from not being able to see, I got very tired, very quickly...

A search here brought up one title where a rider passed away after an accident attributed to sunstrike, during a group ride.

I found it easier to see with the visor up. Unlike a car there's no sunvisor and I can't really ride one handed for long. Also, I also felt uneasy about possibly being hit from behind by a cage who couldn't see me (because of the sunstrike), if I slowed down too much!

Any tips?? eg would a tinted visor help?, apart from avoiding this time of the day....

MSTRS
1st December 2005, 12:44
Tinted visor *may* help. Be aware tho that as darkness falls, with a tinted visor you will lose the ability to see at all. Sure, you can lift it but then eyes are exposed to dust & bugs (which are often thick in the air around dusk. Sunstrike is made worse by a scratched visor, so replace the one you are using if it is scratched. Some of these scratches are probably very fine and hard to see except at certain angles etc - caused by wiping the visor with abrasive material (glove, tissue paper....).
I had a peak on my FFM as well as the visor - just duck your head a little to block the sun. Make some inquiries at your bike shop.

madboy
1st December 2005, 12:47
I don't recommend slowing down to much, for exactly that reason you gave. But in saying that, I don't recommend plowing along at a billion miles an hour when you can't see either!!

I run a tinted visor during daylight (a real dark black tint) and it seems to do the trick. Since I wear glasses, I don't really have the option of sunglasses. I've often wondered about a bit of duct tape across the top of the visor to give you a sorta sunvisor effect. Then by tilting your head you could still see ahead but block the sun. Never tried it though. I'm not sure though if you leave the duct tape on for days on end, that it would leave traces, or would that clean off??

Cibby
1st December 2005, 12:52
You should ask Dover about this.

oh wait.. perhaps not....

Leong
1st December 2005, 12:55
Yes, I wear glasses too, and while it may help keep the bugs and dust out sometimes, it's also another surface for the light to bounce/reflect(or whatever) off.

The_Dover
1st December 2005, 12:55
Yeah, just grab a handful of the right lever and make like Superman, you'll fly home.

Leong
1st December 2005, 12:57
I saw that Dover has read this thread.... is this what caused his recent *****

Drum
1st December 2005, 13:27
I just try to duck my head down as much as I can and look through the top of my eyelids (shading face with forehead of helmet). Wouldnt want to have to do it for 100's of k's but OK for short distances. Tinted visor helps a bit, but doesnt solve the problem.
I find the worst is when you are suffering from sunstrike and heading towards a shady corner - just cant see that corner at all! I usually slow down some (checking rear view mirrors of course).

crashe
1st December 2005, 14:17
Put 2 inch Black Duct tape right along the top outside of your visor.

I have this on my visor and then when I have the visor down when riding into the sun.... I just tilt my head slightly forward.. and have no trouble seeing.

A really cheap way to block out the sun's glares.

Motu
1st December 2005, 14:19
My helmets have a peak - just drop and tilt your head to block the sun with the peak - like a sunvisor in a car.

bugjuice
1st December 2005, 15:08
best thing is to get used to the sun. Stare at it for as long as you can, then your pupils will go tiny, which are nature's sunglasses. Then when you look at everything on the road, your eyes will be used to the bright sun, so everything will go dark and you can see the road again..
When you need to open your pupils after the ride home, I've found these mushrooms growing out the back in my neighbours garden (he's really private about his stuff), that makes your pupils open really huge, which will make them relax after being so tiny staring at the sun. He's getting low tho (and annoyed for some reason), so let me know before you come round, so I don't eat them all first.

Robbo
1st December 2005, 15:34
My Open Face Helmet has a visor so that works well. On my Full Face Helmet i removed the visor and painted a satin black strip at the top and on the inside. Just masked it out and used a quick drying spray can.
This works extremely well as all you need to do is tilt your head down slightly when riding into the sun.
I lost a collegue earlier this year when he was blinded by sudden sunstrike and had a fatal
crash on his bike, so i know how dangerous it can be. I don't even think a Tinted visor would shield you as it needs to be totally blocked out.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Robbo

Zapf
1st December 2005, 15:39
just use your helmet to block the sun... and tilt your head down.

Leong
1st December 2005, 20:23
I'll try the duct tape trick - will experiment with the position/thickness, and maybe paint it on later. Just tilting my head down wasn't enough.

Thanks for the replies.

ajturbo
1st December 2005, 20:34
i fined going faster helps... you get out of the sun-strike quicker.... or my other favourate one... turn around and go the long way home...

Yokai
1st December 2005, 21:24
And it seems that Motomail has some nice helmets with visors:

http://www.nolan.it/caschi/Images/N102_start.jpg is a picture of one of them...

They have a secondary visor that flips down over the top of your regular visor... look really nice? and they have flip up faces:

check out:
http://www.helmetshop.com/items.asp?CartID=&cc=X1002&tpc=

sunhuntin
1st December 2005, 21:24
i usually try dipping my head, but depending where the sun is, that means i cant see in my mirrors.

the one i hate is when the sun is setting behind you and hits the mirrors. cant see jack schit then

flash
1st December 2005, 21:58
i just REALLY squint my eyes and it works like a charm ever time

SlowHand
1st December 2005, 22:47
i just REALLY squint my eyes and it works like a charm ever time

You must be not equiped with the anti-sunstrike eyes. We have built in ones.

just use your helmet to block the sun... and tilt your head down.

How do I use the clutch?

sels1
1st December 2005, 22:56
I have a strip of black tape on the bottom of my visor. when I need shade I open my visor and use the strip like the peak of a MX helmet. It helps that I wear glasses (that helps keep the bugs out of my eyes - and the photochromatic lenses are good too!)

loosebruce
1st December 2005, 23:08
Sun strike, what to do, well me i'd pull a mingin wheelie and use my front wheel to block out the sun, thus carrying on like normal, well normal for me anyways.

Lou Girardin
2nd December 2005, 07:24
I've got the Nolan, excellent helmet but I use a tinted visor only this time of year.
Squinting helps.

FROSTY
5th December 2005, 11:12
Something worth mentioning--Just frigging STOP.
I know the Cops rant about it but if youre at the stage of eyes half blind from watering then stop--it just aint worth riskin ya neck to save 10 minutes

Mooch
5th December 2005, 11:16
Apart from the other stuff here , follow the white painted line on the left hand side and reduce speed ..... Al least tha way you'll know where the road is going.

Leong
5th December 2005, 12:41
Something worth mentioning--Just frigging STOP.
I know the Cops rant about it but if youre at the stage of eyes half blind from watering then stop--it just aint worth riskin ya neck to save 10 minutes

Agreed, and definitely worth mentioning, esp as my riding is 100% recreational anyway!!

Thanks for the other tips... am refining the "tape on the bottom edge of visor" at the moment... seems to work best for me.

Thanks sels1

Tricia1000
7th December 2005, 21:23
Get online and get a lid with a retractable sun visor.

Coming back from Maraetai a bit later than usual yesterday, had a bit of hayfever, slightly watery eyes, then extreme sunstrike as well. Not good!! Apart from not being able to see, I got very tired, very quickly...

A search here brought up one title where a rider passed away after an accident attributed to sunstrike, during a group ride.

I found it easier to see with the visor up. Unlike a car there's no sunvisor and I can't really ride one handed for long. Also, I also felt uneasy about possibly being hit from behind by a cage who couldn't see me (because of the sunstrike), if I slowed down too much!

Any tips?? eg would a tinted visor help?, apart from avoiding this time of the day....

F5 Dave
8th December 2005, 16:33
Ok this is interesting, Many times have I found myself at the end of a ride & sunstrike is a drag. You can only hold your hand up for so long, esp if it’s windy.

So every time I have been designing solutions in my mind, but always forget to do something.

Until recently. I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

Yes I ride with a tinted visor & take the clear if it is going to get dark.

Yes you can put some duct tape on the top of your visor, but who wants to have this attached all the time? Esp in a racing crouch it restricts your view.

If only there was a way to have a removable piece of duct tape so it could be applied for that ¾ of an hour when you need it.

So. . . .

I attached 2 dots of stick-on Velcro hooks to the sides of my visor (out of eye-view). Then I got wifey-poo to sew some furry Velcro to the ends of a strap from a pair of MX googles.

This way you can apply it or remove it as required. The MX strap (Scott brand) has some rubberised anti slip beads on it making it ideal. (mk1 version tended to slip off).

& the cool thing is I applied 2 more dots onto the inside of my fairing blade of the tourer so it lives there when not in use. Can be applied on the move.

Tried it for the first time the other day & it is great!