PDA

View Full Version : Brand new learner licence today

korowetere
1st December 2005, 20:26
Hi all,

After lurking for a month or so, I've now taken some action. last weekend I did John Wright's beginner's course and basic handling skills. Then this afternoon I gained my learners licence! :2thumbsup

So the next step is a bike. I'm budgeting $1000 min. for gear which means if I bought new I could stetch to a Hyosung 250Gt (6K) but not much more. I am a big bugger (6'2" and 110kg) so need a fairly large 250. I've also though about a ZZR but they seem like hen's teeth and I'm not sure about a 15 year old bike. GPX maybe?

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and once I'm out there on the streets I'll be posting a bit more often!

Cheers,
Scott

Macktheknife
1st December 2005, 20:31
Greetings and welcome to the madness that is KB!
You dont have to be crazy to sign up, cause you will be after a while.. lol
Enjoy and good luck with your riding

Leong
1st December 2005, 20:54
Welcome to KB and riding. I did the same about 10 weeks ago, never having ridden before. Done about 5500km since on the VTR250 and loving it - much more challenging than driving 4 wheels quick!!

Good luck selecting your gear and bike - and take your time, it's part of the fun!!

Dadpole
1st December 2005, 20:59
Welcome to the KB zoo. At 6'2" you fall in the "vertically unchallenged" bracket, so some of the 250 sprotbikes may be a bit tight. The Hyosung bikes seem pretty good though.

Scorpygirl
1st December 2005, 21:03
Welcome, welcome!! I hope you enjoy KB. No question is a stupid question, so as a newbie ask heaps and be prepared to listen. Use the search on the site too, as a question you are wanting answers to may already be on here. Heaps to read and enjoy! :banana: :spudbn:

RnB Fan
2nd December 2005, 09:07
Welcome to the party! I too have had a look at the Hyosung and I like them. Good luck with your purchasing.

Gremlin
2nd December 2005, 16:17
Welcome :2thumbsup

I have a zzr, have to say overall it ain't half bad (the other half is a "little" damaged). Its physically quite big, but still reasonably sporty. It won't stand a chance against 2 smokes or the zxr and cbr, but it can still get you in trouble with the law.

However, for us big buggers (1.90m, 100kg) is isn't quite equipped for our weight. Brakes aren't strong enough I reckon, and my suspension is maxed on the rear and I'm still bottoming it out...

Enjoy the madhouse :msn-wink:

edit: mine's also a 1990, and cosmetically, its crap, but mechanically, its brilliant

John Banks
3rd December 2005, 13:10
Welcome to the site! Good luck with buying the bike, and when you do, think about coming with us on one of the
learner rides (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=20882) - we can learn a lot from more experienced riders and they're definately worth going to.

As for the bike, I'm as tall, if not a little taller than you, though I weigh in at 75kg - I was looking at the ZZR as well - it's not the biggest of bikes, and I found myself a little cramped on it. The best thing you can do is go to the dealer and take your time sitting on the bikes, give them a little drive around and make sure you're comfortable sitting on them. Go to a few shops and don't be afraid to spend some time before buying a bike, though of course that's hard when you just want to buy one and go :rockon:

When buying a helmet, don't get caught out like I did - it seems the way to tell if a helmet it the right size is if it squeezes your cheeks when you put it on. Heh, maybe you could convince a more experienced member of this site to go along with you to give you advice... I wish I did :doh:

korowetere
4th December 2005, 14:05
Done about 5500km since on the VTR250

Mate, that is a lot of kilometres in 10 weeks! Awesome.

Thanks for the welcome everyone, I can see I'm going to enjoy being part of this community.

Tomorrow it's off the bike shop(s) for a good look around...

Jabez
4th December 2005, 15:58
Welcome....:) Have fun finding the new bike....:)

Highlander
4th December 2005, 16:13
welcome to KB.

Plenty of tips here for new comers (and not so new comers). Take a good look around. Some of the unwritten rules are priceless.

Leong
4th December 2005, 16:40
Mate, that is a lot of kilometres in 10 weeks! Awesome.

Thanks for the welcome everyone, I can see I'm going to enjoy being part of this community.

Tomorrow it's off the bike shop(s) for a good look around...

Just about hit the 6k mark with the coro loop ride today!!...THese little VTR250's are great, even passing cars isn't too bad once you get used to it!

Have fun at the bike shops....

ducatilover
5th December 2005, 22:18
welcome to kb mate:2thumbsup try a vtr250 they are pretty decent toys:banana:

korowetere
6th December 2005, 20:25
Well, today I sold my big cage (1989 BMW 735il) so I have no excuse not to go check out some bikes. As soon as this damn Auckland weather improves - not keen on test riding a bike in the wet :doh:

Grizz
6th December 2005, 20:30
Welcome to KB dude, good luck with the bike choice.

korowetere
7th December 2005, 10:56
This morning I've been into Mt Eden Motorcycles. They have a few of the Hyosung 250R's on the yard, unfortunately all sold bar a black one - I want red.

This machine looks awesome in the flesh. Unfortunately I wasn't kitted out for a demo ride but when they get their next batch of stock (Late Dec / Jan) I think I'll be 'avin one!

korowetere
20th December 2005, 17:57
Yep, I now have myself a bike, Gremlin's ZZR250 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=21355). :2thumbsup

Next steps are now:

1. Hit the shops for some riding gears

2. Hit Mitre10 for a fibreglass kit, body filler and black spraypaint.

This is going be a great project for the Xmas period :)