PDA

View Full Version : Perfect weather, perfect scenery, perfect ride!

oldrider
1st December 2005, 20:33
Every now and then you get everything to go just right. Mrs O/R and I rode through the Lindis Pass to Frankton then down to Athol to visit our son and his family. It was our grandaughter's 9th birthday.
The next day we rode up to Glenorchy and back to Frankton, stayed the night with Mrs O/r's brother and family at Frankton.
Rode around Arrowtown too. (Wondered where idb lived/worked, could have said hello!) :yes:
(Shit I hate Queenstown) :doh:
Next morning we rode home via Alexandra, Galloway, Moa Creek, Naseby and Dansey's Pass.
The whole ride was perfect except for Queenstown. (where to make things worse a cash M/c gobbled up Mrs O/R's credit card) I think we were spoiled as youngsters holidaying there when there were practically no tourists and very few people there. The place was simply breathtaking back then.
Those of you contemplating attending the Glenorchy rally, if you haven't been there before be prepared to be impressed. We never get tired of it.
The new road has a few tricks for the unwary but the surface is terrific.
We are blessed living down here, fantastic roads going every which way its so hard to choose which one to take.
I wonder if I am dead already and this is heaven? Cheers John.:ride: :sunny: :niceone:

Macktheknife
1st December 2005, 20:42
Sounds like my kinda place, cant wait for the trip in January, will try to catch up with you then OR.

Leong
1st December 2005, 21:13
I went to Uni of Otago very early 80's and spent too much time touring around the South Island. Did the Dunedin, Chch, Arthurs Pass, West Coast, Wanaka, Alex, Dunedin circuit many time just for the roads ( on 4 wheels at the time). And the scenery... spectacular!!

skidz
1st December 2005, 21:28
Wish I was there. Sounds great.

emaN
2nd December 2005, 10:41
sounds unreal d'unnit?
"we don't know how lucky we are.." and all that. have to remind myself every-so-often, but i'm stoked that there's others, like you OR, who appreciate Godzone as much as i do!

scumdog
2nd December 2005, 11:04
A good ride O/R, I know how you feel about Q'town, USE to be a nice little place for a bit of a break, now it is full of drunken effwits and unreadable foriegn shop signs, the best thing to come out of Queenstown is the road imho!! Nice scenery though.
I'll find out again in January with a bit of luck!!!

miSTa
2nd December 2005, 21:04
Sounds like a good ride there John, I do like that part of the country.

I remember as a young fella Queenstown being a place which had nothing now it seems to be a place to avoid. :spudwhat:

zadok
2nd December 2005, 22:37
Good write-up John. I look forward to doing the South Island one day.:niceone: :ride: