PDA

View Full Version : Advice on racing

Kwaka-Kid
13th February 2003, 22:32
hi guys, im looking @ racing this years season. and have considerd F3, however, can anybody tell me the exact bikes u can have in? or like, the rules.

i understand 400 4cyl 4strokes are alowed in (which i hav a zxr400 possibly for) but what about those 1987+ Kawasaki GPz500S's? 500cc twin cylander? i know for a fact that in the late eightys they let them in, but they tore the scene up without much modding. and i take it that unlimited single cylanders are still alowed in?

any advice is much appreciated, im wanting 2 race, and 4 strokes are my game :)

also i dont spose theres a racing class for my 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750E1 Turbo?

bluninja
14th February 2003, 07:53
Go for it. If you have a pre 88 bike you could always go look at post classics; they may have a section for turbos:p

As for F3 have a look at http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/ which has the full rules.
I believe 400s can be bored out to 490 now. SV650s are allowed, just not allowed to mod the airbox and filter. Air cooled 2 valve head twins up to 900 cc.

Victoria club is running a winter series at Manfield starting in April if you want to get going before next summer season.

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
15th February 2003, 06:05
:o cheers dude! this is the exact info i need :)
oh. and now i think i gotta work sunday so no paeroa :(

Racey Rider
2nd June 2003, 19:39
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
... also i dont spose theres a racing class for my 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750E1 Turbo?

No, but bring it along. We'll all be lineing up for a turn on it!:p

wkid_one
2nd June 2003, 20:23
Logan - I know Barry from Sawyers - he is running the Winters Series at Manfield this year - I will get all the details for you for the season/classes etc - will email it through to you asap.

Kwaka-Kid
3rd June 2003, 20:55
cheers wkid_one! i await ur email :D

babyB
4th June 2003, 02:42
could someone please help me

ive got 1988 CBR400. dose it qualify for post classic racing?...seems the people ive spoken to have different or undecided a opinions. (& i cant tell from the rule book  (call me blond.lol)).

if so...what, if any, varification is required upon entry?

all the major components on the CBR are still the originals (for that matter so are most of the minors)

cheers

denill
4th June 2003, 08:39
If you want to check out the Vic Club Website [they organise the Winter series @ Manfield] go to : http://www.vicclub.com/

:rockon:

bluninja
4th June 2003, 11:45
BabyB, easiest thing is to phone MNZ and ask. Anyways, at Taupo the post classics raced with the Clubmans anyway cos there was only 2 of them and only a few of us. So after you've finsihed with clubmans are you going to race F3 AND post classics?

TTFN

duke
4th June 2003, 21:44
Sorry your bike doesn't qualify:

Post Classic racing is for bikes manufactured from 1st Jan 1963 to 31st Dec 1982.  Within this time span there is a Period 72 class and a Period 82 class. 

However there are a few people keen to race Pre-89 bikes and the NZPCRA organised an event for them at their 2-day race meeting in February.  There were 6 Pre-89 bikes out of a total of about 100 post classic bikes racing.

If you turn up at a race meeting you will get a ride but will not be eligible for prize money, points etc.

regards

duke

babyB
4th June 2003, 22:13
hay blu i think i be in the clubmans for a while, i aint that good yet.lol. 15th will be my 1st race...didnt realize ya could enter 2 classes at same event,

thanks duke .maybe by the time i get good the bike will be old enough to qualify:o

bluninja
4th June 2003, 22:37
If you are in Clubmans, officially it's the only class you can race in. After you get out of clubmans you can do double and triple entry if you can physically manage it. As long as your bike fits the rules for the class you are entering it's ok; or if you have 2 bikes.

Will look forward to meeting you on the 15th. I think Mitch will be there, who knows who else from Kiwibiker will turn up :D

TTFN

babyB
4th June 2003, 22:58
tx blu sounds good...will be an all up good day...any riding day is  good day:niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
5th June 2003, 05:34
argh @ 10 days, still havent worked on the RVF yert, lcoked away nice and safe.  need to sell little 250 first, damn i just wanna go ride it! :(

bluninja
5th June 2003, 09:53
KK, got your race license yet? Hey and don't forget there's next years license due at the end of the month. More money!

TTFN

Dave
5th June 2003, 10:14
At this stage I plan to be at taupo,Just need to repair fairings,respray bike,re-do sign writing,rebuild motor,get new sprockets and screen from aussie and put the bike back together!

wkid_one
5th June 2003, 10:43
Blu -what needs to be done to get the race license - i'll need to tee that up also and have no idea what to do

bluninja
5th June 2003, 10:57
WKID, as you're in Wellington, and plan on doing a few rounds of the winter series I would recommend joing the victoria club. You need to be a financial member of a club to get a race license, and if you join them your race fees are lower for the winter series. Once that's done you send your membership card off with the completed form you've printed off the MNZ website to get your race license. Since they run from July to June, you may have to miss the next round, unless you can agree some sort of deal with MNZ to be a member for the last 2 days of June.

HTH TTFN

Hoon
5th June 2003, 13:39
yeah that sucks, I got a race license, had to join AMCC and then MNZ and I didn't even get around to racing this season - both race dates I planned for were too wet for me :(

So now I have to renew my race license too.  I won't make the Taupo June meet but will aim for July date!

Wkid you can download the application form from the MNZ web site and send/fax it in to them.  My log book and license turned up about 8 days later.

Racey Rider
5th June 2003, 14:43
I rang MNZ on Tuesday still trying to get a Race license before the 15th. They said they send me a form soon. Who knows when that is!:angry2: You'll think they,ld get their act together a bit more for new people to the sport. :argh:

wkid_one
5th June 2003, 14:50
Done done and done. 

Vic Club membership done and MNZ membership sorted so I can race on the 29th!

bluninja
5th June 2003, 15:09
So WKID, formula 1 or Clubmans?:D

Racey, why not print the form off the site and fax it to them (as suggested in another post)?

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
5th June 2003, 16:08
hmmkay, well im only going to be racing clubmans - and will join AMC, but wont prolly race till Summer or somthing, and just do heaps of Track days untill then.. hey what does it usualy cost to enter a race? more then track day?

wkid_one
5th June 2003, 16:39
Clubmans for the first race......depends...if I break the bank and buy the new bike - I will be spectating as it won't be run in...but figured I should take the VTR around in one comp if I still have it

Hoon
5th June 2003, 16:46
You could try the hard break-in method (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)!!

I will definately try it next engine rebuild!!

Dave
5th June 2003, 17:39
I read that and found it to make good sense.Been involved with speedway for several years and basically thats about all they get to do.

Kwaka-Kid
5th June 2003, 21:06
far out! INTERESTING READING! its amazing, yet makes sense, everytime i go to critisize what im reading i re-think, and cant think of anything against it.  However the trick i heard some speedway engines were run in (okay this was years ago prolly) when still on the bench and not in the car and there was *NO* time at all, was to put a few small drips of Brasso down the carbs whilst it was first runnnig, vaapommmphhh, sucks it up good and apparently runs free, okay not a good way to do it but good enough to last a raceapparently.  - i also heard that myth repeated to do on old bikes/cars with smoke problems (i.e oil passing ring) however i find it hard to beleive as brasso doesnt exactly rebuild the lost metal. :S

but ta for that link! pity the RVF400 has done its run in by far now

Dave
6th June 2003, 07:28
The brasso trick is for a new engine that has not bedded the rings,it re-scuffs the bores and helps re-bed the rings.

Racey Rider
6th June 2003, 15:31
Originally posted by bluninja

Racey, why not print the form off the site and fax it to them (as suggested in another post)?

TTFN [/B]

Done that today. They rang back saying I'ld have to pay for the full July02 to end of June03 year. $60 for the last two weeks of June basicly! And then re-licence (new fee) from July on. That sucks!!! I'm better of to miss another race day, save my $60, and hope they get me a licence before Manfield on the 29th.:angry2:

babyB
6th June 2003, 16:49
Originally posted by Racey Rider
Done that today. They rang back saying I'ld have to pay for the full July02 to end of June03 year. $60 for the last two weeks of June basicly! And then re-licence (new fee) from July on. That sucks!!! I'm better of to miss another race day, save my $60, and hope they get me a licence before Manfield on the 29th.:angry2:

your not alone Racey...i pushed for a discount on the fee (in febuary) they wouldnt budge.....i think your situation just plan sucks too!!!!!!:angry2:

bluninja
7th June 2003, 10:13
I did this first season. rather than push for money off the fee, I got a credit towards my next license. that way they didn't get someone having a cheap license just for 1 or 2 races, and I got a better deal.

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
7th June 2003, 12:44
and what general prices are we talking bluninja?

also - you race in Clubmans yes? F3 class clubmans\? what general positions do you come, and general pukekohe times do you run, and what are the fastest f3clubman guys running?

babyB
5th August 2003, 22:49
need info on tyre pressure please

got  rear tyre;  Dunlop rideen  GPR70      150/60-17. im gessing it runs at 40/41 psi (its not on the tyre) any idears?

also for racing is it better to run at maximum psi, or a little less? what are your thoughts

bikerboy
6th August 2003, 09:52
:D You sure ask a lot of questions KK for someone who doesn't race.:Oops:

Dave
6th August 2003, 10:29
Hey babyB, The way to check /test your tyre pressures is by the increase in pressure from cold to hot.
check them before you go out and then check them straight after you come in,the difference should be 6psi (i'm checking this figure for road tyres) if it goes up less than that its too hard,if it goes up more,its too soft.
That way you take into account track surface,temp on the day, how hard you ride,etc. and always end up with the tyre in the same temp.range for consistant handling. I think you'll find the pressure you'll end up running will be about 30/32 psi hot but this will vary heaps due to the variables.We run anywhere from 20/21 on slicks on a cold wet track to 28 in hot weather in summer

Dave
6th August 2003, 14:14
Just had a conversation with the Dunlop importer,He said the minimum you should get down to would be about 26psi, and a maximum of around 32. If your new and not riding very hard, you will probably struggle to get the 6 psi change in temp. so run them at around 26 and start trying to ride harder and harder until you start seeing the pressure rise. Come and see me if your at the track when I am and i can show you some things to look for.

babyB
6th August 2003, 21:41
thanks for the insight Dave  :niceone:  the psi test is new to me but sounds good...all i need now is an accerate gauge.lol

might take that offer up dave..allways willing to learn new things

Coldkiwi
4th November 2003, 16:54
Ok, so in the interests of getting my A into G... what time is club nights for AMCC? I need to obviously get there and join up, get a race licence and more importantly so I can start harrassing MCNZ for a race number for the remaining rounds at pukekohe and taupo.

Hoon
4th November 2003, 17:28
If I were you I would turn up to AMCC this Thurs night at approx 8pm, sign up and get your little card your need for MCNZ.

On Fri send off your MCNZ application for a race license and hope it turns up by Nov 15/16 in time for AMCC Round 2 at Pukekohe.  If it hasn't, on the Thurs or Fri before the race, ring up MCNZ and pester them to make sure they fax your details to the AMCC people so you won't get denied on race day. 

Coldkiwi
6th November 2003, 15:08
sweet as brother :) I'll be there tonight