PDA

View Full Version : Crashing hurts!

Edbear
2nd December 2005, 07:10
It's been a while, (like about 30 years!), since I last fell off and that was at very low speed negotiating a wet clay driveway, but I can still remember the handle bar end impacting into my ribs! I've never had a serious "off" and hope never to have one, but in browsing through the Image Gallery I've seen some very gruesome results of accidents and it has caused me to pause and ponder. I hope all members have the opportunuity to see some of these as long as they have the stomach for it. I believe these images should give us all cause to reflect on how we ride on the road. It is one thing to see Valentino, et al, coming off at 200 plus and walk away, but it would be foolish to think one could do that on the road. I have seen some pretty dumb riding by fellow bikers and I shudder to think how close they came to serious injury or death. Serious injury and death are not only painful, they are extremely inconvenient, usually permanently, not just to the victim but to the victim's family. Let's face it, bike riding is the best fun you can have with your clothes on and once you are denied that pleasure by accident it makes the rest of your life, and the lives of your surviving loved ones, that much worse! My son commented last night that on his way to Tauranga last weekend, he was unimpressed by the way he was overtaken by bikers, cutting too close to his car even though they had plenty of room. PLease guys and gals, ride like your life and those of others depend on it, 'cause they do! You can have plenty of fun, just think a bit about where you have it. You may think,"At least I'll die having fun!" But what if you don't die...? PS. Who thinks the new American Norton is horn?:rockon:

Ixion
2nd December 2005, 07:45
Oh good another member for the nana society.

But don't you know? - crashing is inevitable. There's nothing you can do to prevent it. It just happens. You may as well go out and crash, because it's going to happen anyway. Everyone crashes, it's not if but when .:doh:

Stands to reason that in 40 odd years of riding I must have had hundreds of crashes. The reason I don't remember a single one of them is no doubt something to with concussion or something.

Seriously, what the Edbear said. Newer riders for the careful note of. Ride fast, ride safe.

Sniper
2nd December 2005, 08:11
Newer riders for the careful note of. Ride fast, ride safe.

Have you been drinking again Ixion?

But anyway, thanks for the reminder Edbear. It never hurts to be reminded that we are all still human (Except for mikey who is peter pan). Crashing is and always will be inevidable, I just don't know if the statement stands true for all of us though. I am 21 and I have had 6 accidents. Only one was my fault. Ixion has been riding for longer than I have been born and he hasn't had any accidents. Maybe I have had his share or maybe he is a better rider than I (He is) but he makes a very valid point in saying that not everyone crashes.

Oakie
2nd December 2005, 08:11
You may think,"At least I'll die having fun!":

Yeah, that "at least he died having fun" or "at least he died doing what he loved" is a crock of shit. To say "at least I'll die having fun" is a selfish crock of shit unless you have no family or friends and can take yourself out without messing up anyone else's life.
If you give me the choice of having a hell of a lot of fun for a year and then wiping myself out at the end of that year OR having a less exciting existence and dying in my sleep aged 85 ... well it's a no brainer for me.
Some people get off 'living on the edge'. I get off on just living and I want to do that until I'm a wrinkled gray haired old man (or at least until my dick drops off)

Proud to be a nana!

The_Dover
2nd December 2005, 08:31
Maurice says harden up you fairies and he knows where you can get some quality leather gear to protect your delicate skin.

Mind you, I don't wanna die on a bike, I wanna die balls deep in a 21 yr old Swedish air hostess..........with a glazed look in my eyes and a smile on my face. Open casket for me please.

Grahameeboy
2nd December 2005, 08:44
Yeah I am happy to be a nana too.....as some of you may know I have a disabled Daughter......do I give up and feel that I have given up something I love or just ride safe....like not weaving in and out of traffic.......ride to ride another day I say and that doesn't mean riding like a pussy....I agree saying you want to die doing something you love is just toilet talk cause for me I would be selfish when I can have the best of all worlds, ride my SV and cherish my Daughter's short life.........same applies to all you guys who have family and friend,

Be Safe
Enjoy Life
Ride Fast
Make sure you last
Don't aim for the otherside
When you go for your ride

Lou Girardin
2nd December 2005, 08:50
Some people get off 'living on the edge'. I get off on just living and I want to do that until I'm a wrinkled gray haired old man (or at least until my dick drops off)

Proud to be a nana!

At least they think they're on the edge. Most times they're not even close.
When you really stare it in the face and survive, you realise that it's not that glamorous.

Squiggles
2nd December 2005, 08:54
I wanna die balls deep in a 21 yr old Swedish air hostess..........with a glazed look in my eyes and a smile on my face. Open casket for me please.

now thats a way to go! :2thumbsup

The_Dover
2nd December 2005, 08:55
When you really stare it in the face and survive, you realise that it's not that glamorous.

That's very true, I'll talk shit and spout with the best of them but I do in fact appreciate my life and the fact that someone was watching over me.

Even if it was that mate of Zed's with the dodgy beard and 13 donkey fucking friends.

SARGE
2nd December 2005, 09:05
in my 40-odd years .. i have had a few offs.. nothing i couldnt walk away from ( including some relatively rapid wrecks).. being in this industry and involved daily with bikers, i have seen my share of crushed hips, shattered legs, carnage and destruction. its not pretty.. chances are you will NOT die.. you will end up cripppled , twisted and in searing pain the rest of your life

im no nana rider, but i know when and where and how to get stupid. i have no-one to impress but me.

Sketchy_Racer
2nd December 2005, 09:09
This is probably noe of the most 'down to earth' threads i have read in a long time

and i have to agree with what everyone has said!!

Its not fair to ruin someone elses life just so you could a 140 arond that bend instead of 80..... it makes you think (well it does for me )

Bling awarded to that man :2thumbsup

The_Dover
2nd December 2005, 09:20
chances are you will NOT die.. you will end up cripppled , twisted and in searing pain the rest of your life

What the fuck has this thread got to do with marriage?

ducatilover
2nd December 2005, 10:32
i better not get involved:yes:

vifferman
2nd December 2005, 10:40
Yeah, crashing hurts. It sux too.
The last time I crashed, I thought both those things while lying on the road, waiting for the ambulance, and it was nearly enough to make me chuck motorcycling in.

However (BUT!) I'm really glad I didn't, as the pleasure/fun/enjoyment/thrills I've had since then have outweighed the suckfulness of that moment by a bazillion to one. :yes:

Gremlin
2nd December 2005, 16:26
I certainly agree with most of what is being said, but crashing doesn't always hurt,

What always hurts is getting the bike back to the shop (if you can get it there), and getting the repair bill :blink:

But seriously, I reckon it doesn't matter how many people say you are slow/ride like a nana etc. If you really enjoy yourself on a ride, and arrive home like you left, there is nothing wrong.

Motu
2nd December 2005, 17:02
What always hurts is getting the bike back to the shop (if you can get it there), and getting the repair bill :blink:

Never had that pain,and don't want to.That fact that I do my own repairs and pay for them as well is good incentive to make sure I don't have to fork out my own money and time.

Edbear
2nd December 2005, 18:01
Glad to get such a response to my post! I appreciate how you all view things the same only different! I'd be gutted if I seriously scratched my old bike! I do enjoy myself on it but I am rather careful about where.... I've discovered that redline in 5th = 180 with one gear to go and that the 600 is no real match for a '05 Daytona 955! Maybe one day I'll discover if my theory about the bike being geared to do 220 at redline in 5th is right... Meantime I can pootle along at the legal(ish) limit and not get frustrated - not sure if riders of '05 Gixxers and ZX10's or R1's can do that. How can you ride a bike on the road that does over 160 in 1st? I'd love to test ride one though, just to see what it feels like, o' course! :spudbn:

SPman
2nd December 2005, 18:27
Crashing is and always will be inevidable, Bullshit
Its a probability,but not an inevitability!

When you really stare it in the face and survive, you realise that it's not that glamorous you also realise the line between being and not being, is incredibly fine!

Ride fast - but not stupid! (well, thats fucked what credibility I might have had..)

Macktheknife
4th December 2005, 21:16
I have always maintained that if you ride you need to accept that you will crash, maybe only once, or twice or maybe many times, but you will crash sooner or later. I once met a biker guy in his 70's who claimed he had never had a crash in 53 years of riding, I later learned from his wife that he could not remember the one he did have as it had messed up his memory somewhat!
I myself have had several 'bins', only one was my fault completely, the rest were caused by cagers doing dumb stuff like not giving way at signs, cagers running thru red lights etc. I am prepared mentally and physically (as much as I know how to be) for the eventuality of coming off, it is now an acceptable risk. However I would like to add that I have no wish for the experience to be soon! lol
Ride safe have fun, only dickheads will criticise you for knowing your limits and riding to them.

NinjaBoy
4th December 2005, 22:57
As I read somewhere recently ... a great ride is one where you ride home from...