PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Service

Ms Piggy
1st March 2004, 20:59
I had to get a new chain for my bike - just what a student needs upon starting a new year at Uni! :wacko:

Anyway I just thought I'd rave about how impressed I was with Boyles Kawasaki by The Basin. I got an 'o' ring chain fitted (b/c no point in skimping on something so important) and they only charged me $150- all up. :niceone: I thought that was pretty good...mind you possibly could have been b/c when I arrived to pick my bike up they hadn't done the job yet. :mellow:

They have always been good to me & really friendly, so just wanted to pass on the info.

Blink
1st March 2004, 21:44
glad to hear the beast is all go again :)

yeah i saw your bike there today (as i just work up the road) and was wondering what you were getting done :)

Milky
2nd March 2004, 10:46
I dunno if it is true or not, but i heard that if you replace your chain you should also replace the sprockets.... i think due to the fact that an old chain and new sprockets or vese versa will mean one wears faster than normal.

Anyone heard of this before, and can they discount it as certainly true/false?

~milky

riffer
2nd March 2004, 11:20
I dunno if it is true or not, but i heard that if you replace your chain you should also replace the sprockets
That's certainly what both my Haynes manual and my local mc dealers shops recommend.

Not too sure of how much a lower horsepower bike would wear the sprockets, but I guess on higher horsepower bikes like my FZR it would be more of a problem.

aff-man
2nd March 2004, 11:40
After much sprocket use the teeth of the sprocket become hooked in a certain direction. Thus if you decide to put a nice new chain on the hooked teeth stuff the chain. Unless the chain is made of some super strenth stuff :wacko: . That's what i've been told/ observed anyway. Most bike places will tell you if the sprockets are screwed.

speedpro
2nd March 2004, 13:45
Doesn't sound like much has changed at Boyles. Someone told me once that Boyles don't sell you stuff, you buy stuff from Boyles, , , , if they remember to order it in. Good bunch of blokes I reckon.

Ms Piggy
2nd March 2004, 14:14
I dunno if it is true or not, but i heard that if you replace your chain you should also replace the sprockets.... i think due to the fact that an old chain and new sprockets or vese versa will mean one wears faster than normal.

Anyone heard of this before, and can they discount it as certainly true/false?

~milky

I did check that Milky :done: as per advice from Mccool.

Regan from Boyles said that the sprockets were still ok and not worn enough to need replacing.

georgedubyabush
2nd March 2004, 14:56
I did check that Milky :done: as per advice from Mccool.

Regan from Boyles said that the sprockets were still ok and not worn enough to need replacing.

The chain will also kind of bind on the sprockets if you roll it backwards when the sprockets are worn. Horrible clicking noise and harder to push if extremely worn. Mine were fine too when I changed my chain.

Slim
2nd March 2004, 15:35
As I just found out on the weekend, it's also a good idea to take the front sprocket cover off every now and then to, a) check the sprocket for wear, but more importantly, b) remove the chain lube gunk. If you let the gunk keep building up, it will reach a point where the chain will pick it up as it goes around the front sprocket & run it around, wearing the chain out even quicker. :shit:

I've got new chain AND sprockets on order as we speak. :mellow:

White trash
2nd March 2004, 15:37
Thats not the only thing to consider.

Chains, when tight spots occur, wear sprockets slightly oval. New chain goes on, oval sprockets stretch the chain at each elongated space.

6000km later, one buggered new chain. Nice!

Holy Roller
2nd March 2004, 16:56
Thats not the only thing to consider.

Chains, when tight spots occur, wear sprockets slightly oval. New chain goes on, oval sprockets stretch the chain at each elongated space.

6000km later, one buggered new chain. Nice!
I gave up on chain drive a decade ago Shaft Drive is so much easier, low maintanence, low cost. When I see a great looking bike to possibly trade up to and see a chain
:ar15:
I guess I'm getting lazy as the years roll by.

Milky
4th March 2004, 10:21
I gave up on chain drive a decade ago Shaft Drive is so much easier, low maintanence, low cost. When I see a great looking bike to possibly trade up to and see a chain
:ar15:
I guess I'm getting lazy as the years roll by.

Low cost for the shaft drive?? i would hav thought of it as being the other way round, specially if there are shock absorbers in the shafts... and then there are splines, oil seals and oil to replace too <_<

go buy a MZ and get the best of both worlds... a fully rubber-enclosed chain so no worry with grit and wear and tear, plus u get easy maintenence... I had an MZ etz250 which had the enclosed chain on it :D caused a bit of trouble down at the wof place though.. the guy couldnt see a chain so he assumed it was shaft drive, and checked to see if there was a shaft, then got rather confused and came to ask me what was driving the rear wheel :doh: :lol:

~milky

Timber020
4th March 2004, 22:47
I met an old guy who rode an old yamaha dirtbike, he had owned it for 15 years and it had an O ring chain on it that he put on it from new. He said he took it off periodically and cleaned and lubed it and measured the length for wear. He thought he had been through at least 6 sets of sprocs over the years while the chain had only stretched a few mm over its total length!

LB
5th March 2004, 05:09
Oh dear, now I have to replace my chain (hopefully not sprockets at 18,000kms). I have a tight spot, only just realised what it was - the bike felt hesistant at low speeds for a while (almost like a half miss), that got faster as I went faster, then around 80kph it smoothed out. Hamish had a look during the week (it's hard to explain how it felt) and found a tight spot. Spoke to Motomart and it definitely needs replacing. So dropping it off on Saturday....and I've got a ride on Sunday - shit, I'll have to take the Beemer.

White trash
5th March 2004, 07:34
Shouldn't take more than a day to sort a chain and sprockets, surely?

Ms Piggy
5th March 2004, 15:09
I met an old guy who rode an old yamaha dirtbike, he had owned it for 15 years and it had an O ring chain on it that he put on it from new. He said he took it off periodically and cleaned and lubed it and measured the length for wear. He thought he had been through at least 6 sets of sprocs over the years while the chain had only stretched a few mm over its total length!

:niceone: Yeah when I speaking to Regan at Boyles he was saying a guy he knew religiously lubed his chain every Friday by putting it up on it's centre stand and put it in gear then giving it a good lube. His chain lasted for ages - sorry can't recall exactly how long.

James Deuce
5th March 2004, 15:20
:niceone: Yeah when I speaking to Regan at Boyles he was saying a guy he knew religiously lubed his chain every Friday by putting it up on it's centre stand and put it in gear then giving it a good lube. His chain lasted for ages - sorry can't recall exactly how long.

Mate of mine (the original "brand new" owner of the CBR600FH project bike in my garage.) chopped the end of his index finger off using that method. The creepy thing is it grew back. The finger that is.

Two Smoker
5th March 2004, 15:57
A well lubed chain makes it last a long time:niceone:

Ms Piggy
5th March 2004, 16:03
Mate of mine (the original "brand new" owner of the CBR600FH project bike in my garage.) chopped the end of his index finger off using that method. The creepy thing is it grew back. The finger that is.

:sick:

Well actually my bike has a dicky centre stand anyway so I'd have to have a burly bloke (I wish!!) at hand to lift it onto the stand for me every time I wanted to do that.

Actually how do other people lube their chain & how often? I was told by the guy at my Basic Handling Skills course said that you should lube (just a quick spray) every time you ride & others have said that is too much.

franco
5th March 2004, 16:50
:sick:

Well actually my bike has a dicky centre stand anyway so I'd have to have a burly bloke (I wish!!) at hand to lift it onto the stand for me every time I wanted to do that.

Actually how do other people lube their chain & how often? I was told by the guy at my Basic Handling Skills course said that you should lube (just a quick spray) every time you ride & others have said that is too much.
I use a can of mcycle chain lube ($15-25 depending on brand / dealer), and spray the chain either

1/ before a longish ride (eg, more than 200km's in one trip)
2/ or every 1000km

- whichever happens first

Since my bike ain't got no centre stand, I use the spray the length of exposed chain / roll the bike forward / rest on side stand / spray the length of the chain...etc method.

And suggest you remember to check your tire pressures at least every week. My miss went to the advanced riding course with Andrew last Wed, & I told her to remember to check her tire pressures before going . Well, sure enough she doesnt, and sure enough he checks. Hers were like 20psi on both tires, oops! :o

LB
5th March 2004, 18:29
Shouldn't take more than a day to sort a chain and sprockets, surely?
I am only able to drop it off round lunchtime Saturday, and it suits me to pick it up a couple of days later.

jimbo600
5th March 2004, 18:57
glad to hear the beast is all go again :)

yeah i saw your bike there today (as i just work up the road) and was wondering what you were getting done :)

The best, and I mean the absolute no bollocks best dudes around for new bikes and spares are Wellington Motorcycles on Kent Terrace. Run by bikies for bikies. I wouldn't let any old twat mess with the gixxer 750 and believe me it goes like god knows what.

Pickle
5th March 2004, 19:34
We have Scott Oilers on our 600 / 636's with the twin injector, took a while to set up correctly but once done great. Refill the oil bottle every 1000kms or so. No fuss, No mess & makes the chain last heaps longer with less adjustments. Great on trips with no carrying of spray cans that are sticky & messy.

Ms Piggy
5th March 2004, 21:21
I use a can of mcycle chain lube ($15-25 depending on brand / dealer), and spray the chain either

1/ before a longish ride (eg, more than 200km's in one trip)
2/ or every 1000km

- whichever happens first

Since my bike ain't got no centre stand, I use the spray the length of exposed chain / roll the bike forward / rest on side stand / spray the length of the chain...etc method.

And suggest you remember to check your tire pressures at least every week. My miss went to the advanced riding course with Andrew last Wed, & I told her to remember to check her tire pressures before going . Well, sure enough she doesnt, and sure enough he checks. Hers were like 20psi on both tires, oops! :o

Cheers for that Franco. :niceone:

Yeah I did my Basic Handling Skills with Andrew and he recomended getting our own tyre pressure gague - which I now have.

How did your miss find the Advanced course?

Slim
5th March 2004, 23:04
Seriously - make sure they check the state of your front & rear sprockets. There is absolutely no point in replacing a chain, especially if you're forking out for O- or X-ring, if your sprockets are shagged, because your new, expensive chain will also be shagged within a couple of thousand Km's.

Handy Hint for lubing chains: do it when you come back from a ride. That way the lube has a chance to set in the chain rather than spraying all over your rear wheel if you lube before a ride. ;) General recommendation by chain suppliers & bike manufacturers is to lube your chain every 500kms.

franco
5th March 2004, 23:52
Handy Hint for lubing chains: do it when you come back from a ride. That way the lube has a chance to set in the chain rather than spraying all over your rear wheel if you lube before a ride. ;) General recommendation by chain suppliers & bike manufacturers is to lube your chain every 500kms.
haha! nice hint Slim. I must love the extra work I create for myself, gives me more reason to spend time wit da bike :D Yeah, some people recommend 250 mi, others 500 mi. If you are really worried, decrease the distance between lubes.

Hey Celtic - yeah the miss (Michelle) had a good time. Apparently it was wet and cold, and a bit of mucking around first thing in the morning, tho eventually they got started. She ended up getting her Restricted License ! So, only after 3 weeks on being on a learners, she is now on her Restricted, how cool is that??? :2thumbsup Tho she was more into it for the training and confidence rather than the quick promotion.

We've got the Dragonboat Festival on this weekend so no riding for us :confused2 hopefully next weekend tho. Will get her to touch base with ya soon as.

cher, Franco