PDA

View Full Version : Question on a 1000cc Ironhead

SpeedyGirl
2nd December 2005, 14:04
Hi all

I am asking this for a friend who is looking at buying a 1981 1000cc Ironhead.

Does anyone know anything about them in general ....things like known problems / maintence issues / availability of parts etc......your help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks SG :not:

Motu
2nd December 2005, 14:15
1000cc Sporty's were bad years for Harley,under AMF(?) ownership and spiraling down to rock bottom.As with anything this age the biggest problem is 25 yrs of animals working on it and parts from a dozen donor bikes,it takes years to sort it out and you probably never will.It'd have to be really really nice,or a wreck worthy of rebuild for me to go near one.

cousa1
2nd December 2005, 14:26
1981 was the first year of the post AMF era. Evolution motor came out in 1986. Belt drive introduce in 1991 for some models. It took HD until 2004 to rubber mount the engine.

R1madness
3rd December 2005, 06:15
DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is 3 things guarenteed to go wrong with it.
1 The motor
2 The gearbox
3 The electrics
:lol:
You might think i am joking but i am not....
:doh:
:eyepoke:
PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unless it was $100 and you wanted to bury it in a bottomless pit to save the next owner a heap of grief,
or your "friend" (we all know you secretly want it for yourself) is deeply into masakism, has a PHD in HD mechanics, a bottomless pit of cash for repeated repairs, and all the tools to do the job him/her self.
You might think i dont like them just because i ride an R1 but thats not the case. I quite like HDs but after working on them for years in the 80s/90s i devoliped a hatered for IRON sportys. You will not find a non butchered one anywhere. You can still get the parts but they are no better than they were 25 years ago.
OH but as always there is an exception to the rule. If you manage to find a genuine XLCR1000 buy it no matter what it costs. They only made about 1500 in total over 2 or 3 years and they are beginning to skyrocket in value. They are the Cafe Racer one, All black with a handle bar mounted fairing and a neat little ducktail fairing at the back. Wish i had kept mine. :rockon:

White trash
3rd December 2005, 07:34
My dad had one. An 81 special edition Roadster, all black. Fucken beautifull thing.

Had a problem when the gear flew to bits due to some cabbage not putting it together properly. The shop fixed that under warranty.

After that, it rumbled away for many kays without so much as a skipped beat. I want one too.

scumdog
3rd December 2005, 11:30
P.M me with a description of the bike, the '81 Ironhead I had has now headed to Christchurch.

I bought mine cheap 'cos it was burning a bit of oil (needed a bck-up super-tanker following me!) and after a bit it burned out an exhaust valve so I rebuilt the top end (new valves/valve guides/pistons - the lot)

Went for yonks and only let me down when it broke a chain and when unleaded came in the coil decided it was too much effort to fire the watery fuel.

Replace every nut with a nyloc one and use lock-tite on bolts as Ironheads do vibrate somewhat!!

'81 was when Harley took over from AMF and things started looking up, having said that my bike was AMF.

If your not mechanically minded then shy away, if you don't mind twirling the odd wrench then go for it.

My 2 cents worth

PS A true known history of the bike will help you judge it - but be aware a whole lot of them were imported 2nd hand from the States so history is not always known.

SpeedyGirl
3rd December 2005, 18:49
Thanks for all the advice guys... will pass this onto J and let him know... appreciate all the help.. :)

:2thumbsup

SpeedyGirl
6th December 2005, 11:17
He did not buy the bike, thanks guys!! He actually brought an Intruder... so all is good and he is rapt!!
:banana:

The_Dover
6th December 2005, 11:24
He did not buy the bike, thanks guys!! He actually brought an Intruder... so all is good and he is rapt!!
:banana:

Is it a SavageIntruder?

SpeedyGirl
9th December 2005, 14:00
Is it a SavageIntruder?

Dunno...... I am only into Sports Bikes!:2thumbsup

Troll
9th December 2005, 18:56
first harley I ever had was an 1980 iron head

it was probably the best, had more fun on that bike than any I've had since and still regret selling it

quality control in 81 was pretty good compared to mid 70's

iron sporties are great bikes and grossly under rated

have a 77 being restored to close to original (stroked to 1200 cubes)

and a 62 sporty motor that I'm going to wedge into a feather bed frame