PDA

View Full Version : Speedo help please

Sniper
3rd December 2005, 10:23
AND NOT OF THE BATHING KIND BUGGY!

MissSniper has a FZR250 K2,y2K, KL (Some fucken model anyway. Like Magua's) Anywhoo, the speedo decided to just stop working the other day. The odometer doesn't work either which suggests a cable problemo.

Now, I can see this long black cabely thingamajig that goes from the hub thingie on the front wheel to the back of the instrument cluster. It looks like the connection on the back of the cluster may be a bit loose which may be the reason it stopped working. But if its not, could it be in that hubo thingiemabop?

Now, is it a simple jobbie just to unconnect the cable from the cluster without breaking anything? (Im rather accident prone) And also, if that turns out fine, how easy it is it to take the front wheel off and apart to get into the space that japanese hands built to attempt a fix? I have all the tools and also a big hammer if that is needed.

Wasp
3rd December 2005, 10:38
well my bike has speedo problems too, the speedo is about 10kms below for every 50kms and the odo has been fucked with so it doesnt work.

getting it apart wasnt too hard, just a screwband at the top of the cable to disconnect it from the cluster and the same at the bottom.

Sniper
3rd December 2005, 10:40
Legend, thanks.

Coyote
3rd December 2005, 10:42
From memory it's the 2KR model and the later model is the 3LN

Sniper
3rd December 2005, 10:44
From memory it's the 2KR model and the later model is the 3LN

The 2KR, thats the one Im after.

chickenfunkstar
3rd December 2005, 11:43
AND NOT OF THE BATHING KIND BUGGY!

MissSniper has a FZR250 K2,y2K, KL (Some fucken model anyway. Like Magua's) Anywhoo, the speedo decided to just stop working the other day. The odometer doesn't work either which suggests a cable problemo.

Now, I can see this long black cabely thingamajig that goes from the hub thingie on the front wheel to the back of the instrument cluster. It looks like the connection on the back of the cluster may be a bit loose which may be the reason it stopped working. But if its not, could it be in that hubo thingiemabop?

Now, is it a simple jobbie just to unconnect the cable from the cluster without breaking anything? (Im rather accident prone) And also, if that turns out fine, how easy it is it to take the front wheel off and apart to get into the space that japanese hands built to attempt a fix? I have all the tools and also a big hammer if that is needed.

Its pretty easy to do, i've replaced the one on my old fzr and i'm kinda mechanically retarded. If I remember correctly there's a little rectangle bit at both ends which slots into the wheel hub on one end and the speedo on the other end. On mine this piece had snapped off. I think a new one was around $70ish but I can't really be sure as this was over 2 years ago. Hope this helps.

Sniper
3rd December 2005, 11:59
On mine this piece had snapped off. I think a new one was around $70ish but I can't really be sure as this was over 2 years ago. Hope this helps.

Cool thanks. Maybe I can whittle one out of wood. Could last longer.

F5 Dave
3rd December 2005, 12:31
Just unscrew it at the top, if the cable is broken you will be able to extract it & see. Other most likely cause is the 2 pronged dohdah inside the hub piece (with the cable going in it) has been out of line when the wheel was put on at some stage & has been mulched & only just fallen off. This can be bent back & a scrap piece of steel welded to it if gone. Only needs one side, but both is nice.

My Yam did this the other day & I'm fairly careful lining it back up, but when you are trying to align a few things & push an axle through they can turn & get munted. Work for a little while & then. . . .

Sniper
3rd December 2005, 12:39
Thanks F5....

bugjuice
3rd December 2005, 17:41
what are you, gay? who wears speedos anyway? Just might as well carry on wearing nothing...

Anyway, CBR250s are prone to the little rubber pick up ring wearing out and eventually it'll stop reading off the crank. But usually it's a gradual thing, not just an all out stop. Which would indicate that the cable might have snapped. so like it was said before, unscrew the cable (huh, I said screw..) from the back of the speedo (your girly hands should just about reach) and pull it out. See if you can turn the square cable at all. If it spins fairly freely, then it's fuct. If there's resistance, then it's probably still connected. Then you have to pick one way of the other. Speedo being fuct is unlikely, so check at the other end. Follow it down the left side of the bike to the pick up and there should be 3 bolts holding in a plate that the cable goes into. Unscrew those (if you're feeling confident here), and carefully pull it off, and watch for any springs that are in there. Have a look at the pick up to the cable and if it's worn, then you'll need to replace that bit. Be about 10 weeks Xjap ;)

gives ya something to do I guess, but I can't really think of anything else it'd be

Posh Tourer :P
4th December 2005, 03:46
Also, if you want to check the speedo operation, chuck the other end of the cable (assuming it is ok) into a drill and fire it up. Just make sure the drill is going the right way, pushing the speed up not down. This is also called clocking, so dont let that drill run for too long....

Sniper
4th December 2005, 08:18
what are you, gay? who wears speedos anyway? Just might as well carry on wearing nothing...

CBR........... snip

Where you talking about the CBR or thr FZR buggy :bleh: Kidding. Thanks for the help though. I plan to tackel the FZR tonight after I do a quick ride to akaroa and back. Anyone fancy coming?