PDA

View Full Version : I now have a naked bike. (Not intentionally)

2wheels in Red Beach
3rd December 2005, 11:22
Hi all,
On my way round the Coro Loop my bike decided it wanted a rest and decided to have a lie down:zzzz: . Anyway long story short I have a couple of questions.
1/ How do I get the stickers of the now smashed fairings. :bash: (due to small slide)
2/ How do I repair fairings, joining pieces together.
3/ What do i use to fill holes.
4/ How do I prepare fairings prior to being sprayed...is this just fine sand paper?

If you have any info on the above I would appreciate it.

I have added my before and after pics.

Sniper
3rd December 2005, 11:25
1. Stickers that come off fairings are going to fucking hard to put back on.

2. Take the fairings to a plastic welder

3. Fiberglass bog to fill holes

4. Sandpaper is OK in small doses.

FROSTY
3rd December 2005, 12:24
I'd check out the price on good second hand fairing lowers first before lashing out on repairs.Ya might be suprised how cheap the second hand stuff is
to remove the stickers -dont bother-YET --get the plastic welding done first.
Reason being its best to give the sighnwrighter something to copy when ya want it redone.

danb
3rd December 2005, 17:43
I think most of us have all be down this road.

For my second to last spill on SH22 I had to use fiber glass to weld the pieces back on. Bog to fill in any small gauges and re-sprayed.

Stickers come off easily with a hot air gun and solvent to get rid of any residue. I couldn’t be bothered with putting stickers back on.

Getting the paint and getting it matched was the most expensive part for me. For what it cost me in getting the front and 2 sides done it, I could have re-sprayed the whole bike because of the special and expensive paint Honda uses. Next time I might consider this.

2wheels in Red Beach
3rd December 2005, 21:28
"I had to use fiber glass to weld the pieces back on"

How do I weld plastic??

danb
3rd December 2005, 22:01
The fiber glass glue is basically a kind of plastic when hard; the glass with the glue makes it strong. Basically I used course sand paper (air sander) on the inside of the fairing to remove some of the plastic and used fiber glass to glue and strengthen the brocken piece in place. I had the help of my dad with this as he has built boats etc out of fiber glass.

ducatilover
3rd December 2005, 22:11
Hi all,
On my way round the Coro Loop my bike decided it wanted a rest and decided to have a lie down:zzzz:. shit dude that sux....bloody bikes do that, maybe its a honda thing:killingme

danb
3rd December 2005, 22:49
Better not be - teach it a lesson and get it fixed.