PDA

View Full Version : Team Metalform Racing - Paeroa Report

nicko
2nd March 2004, 16:15
Team Metalform Racing 22 February 2004 – Battle of the Streets @ Paeroa

World famous in New Zealand, Team Metalform Racing was a rider short for the annual Battle of the Streets round at Paeroa this year. Mike was away on business so wasn’t able to make it to this meeting, maybe just as well as it seems he has developed a ‘closeness’ with the haybales at the street circuits as we witnessed in the TV coverage of Wanganui – victim of circumstance and not rider error in all cases I must admit. Speaking of TV we were given coverage for both the Wanganui and Paeroa meetings on TV1 and Sky Sport. Fantastic stuff and great to see New Zealand’s most exciting sport on TV! Thanks to the sponsors who put up the funding to get coverage, it allows us riders to have something a lot more tangible to offer to our sponsors and allows the public to see just what a spectacle road racing really is.

Nick Odermatt #80 Formula Streets

This year we were back to the traditional hacksaw circuit. Practice went well and soon had the back section bumps and hairpin fairly sorted. The hairpin is fun, first gear, brush the hay bales, straighten her up then it’s a drag race to the Fathers Tavern corner hitting close to 250kph at the end of the straight. I wonder what a speeding ticket would cost for 200kph over the limit on any other Sunday in Paeroa? Don’t think you’d be able to bribe your way out of that one with a cold bottle of L&P.

Our grid position was based on our series points from Wanganui so I was 6th on the grid, my start was average and got in behind Sean Bishop for the first lap, come the hairpin and Sean had left his braking a bit too late and wound up on his side into the hay bales. The race went smooth at 8th place I had Craig Gollop a distance ahead of me and Dave Manuell a distance behind me so just kept at it and finished up in the same position. The bike was feeling really good to push and the setup felt spot on for the track.

My next race turned out to be the Robert Holden Memorial, I found out I qualified as one of the top 15 riders so joined the other 14 for this race just after lunch. The race was 15 laps long and split into 3 sections, basically everyone does 5 laps and gets points for their position, then we move forward a row and run 5 laps again, re-grid and do it again, so everyone starts from each row during the race.

First 5 laps of the race and I diced with Pete Tanner on an Aprilia for most of this segment, passed him at one stage around the corner into the hairpin only to overshoot the corner myself and end up near high-siding tyring to get on the gas, it’s good fun racing against the bigger bikes with the different places they show pace.

On re-gridding for the 2nd segment we all discovered a flaw in this type of race arrangement, our bikes were absolutely cooking. Bikes were spewing boiling water out the radiator overflow and 2 bikes blew head gaskets waiting for the restart. Off for the 2nd five laps and I diced with Terry Fitzgerald for the first couple of laps but he’s no slug round the streets and soon had a gap on me. Across the line again then round to re-grid for the third and final time.

3rd part of the race got underway cleanly, 2nd lap and while heading down the hill towards the post office Lance Lowe tried the inside line on Pete Tanner just in front of me, worked for the first part until he couldn’t take the corner and ran straight ahead leaving Pete nowhere to go, I had to dodge the bikes bouncing off the hay bales then rounded the corner to find a red flag – race over. Not sure of my final placing but congrats to Johan Bruns on taking out the overall title.

Last race of the day was the 2nd Formula Streets race, had a better start and had Manuell nearly high-side his 250 right in front of me over the hill, made for an easy pass as he lost his drive but was more happy that he stayed upright and didn’t hurt himself (or more importantly, me!). Rode fairly consistently for the rest of the race, clocked my best laptime of the day at a 49.1 and came in at 7th place.

Overall, the Hacksaw was a far better track layout than last year, verdict on the day – awesome, well run and well supported by the community and sponsors, can’t wait till next year!

Team Metalform Racing would like to thank the following for their support:
Metalforming Technologies, Il Woo Industries, Pacific Direct Lines, Carters, Corporate Design, Haldane Motorcycles, Pacific Freight Management, Waikato Sandblasting Services, Armour Linings, Fredco Motors, Metzeler Tyres, FFM Helmets, GP Star Leathers, Nazran Gloves, Maxima, Izumi Race Chains, Forma Boots, Total

nicko
2nd March 2004, 16:22
p.s. Sorry haven't had a report on for a while, hopefully will have a bit of a review of the South Island up at some stage. Oh and anyone need some used sticky tyres for the road, give me a yell as I've been chewing through them over the nationals. :rockon:

duckman
2nd March 2004, 16:29
Awesome report man, and some great racing too. :not:

Motoracer
2nd March 2004, 16:41
Great write up Nick! I was there cheering you and the other guys for putting on a great show for us. Very well done! :)

SPman
2nd March 2004, 22:24
Awesome report man, and some great racing too. :not: Yep, always good to hear from you guys - keep up the good reports (scurries through photos, to see if he has one to put up..........no...bugger!)

dss3
3rd March 2004, 07:33
Hey Nick, Daryl from waikato uni here man. Saw ya racing over at Paeroa, was gunna come c ya but you looked pretty hot and buggered when I went past ya van. You still working up in Auckland? Been riding heaps around your old home... got mates with batches up in matarangi so heaps of trips over to the coromandel... heaps of fun.

catch ya

nicko
4th March 2004, 11:19
Cheers guys,

Hey Daryl - good to hear from you, bummer I missed you at Paeroa. Good to hear you're still tormenting the public on the Waikato roads and have got a decent bike, I'm a far-cry from my Duke 600SS days. Have sent you a message.

Next race is Taupo on the 21st of March (part of the Mike Pero series). Just the open production and 600's racing out there, there'll be V8's, porches etc so should be a good spectacle.

What?
4th March 2004, 19:01
Good write up, as always, Nicko. Not a bad mono you pulled, either (off the hairpin, warm up lap)

Kwaka-Kid
5th March 2004, 17:16
wicked writeup dude! and what size are the tyres?