PDA

View Full Version : King of Ruapuna rd4 dangerous goes swinging

dangerous
3rd December 2005, 21:12
Right.... figgered that it would be my last chance to ride the MT100 (MB100 in 80's gp frame) before the Port Nelson st race's, and as I have only ridden it once and am of the belief that two strokers are straight from hell (in fact I think Satan himself rides one) and should be illegal, I really wanted to have a spin on it.

So practice went well as did race 1 & 2, the bike is finelly running sweet... and ya know what? 2 strokers aren't all that bad... I had a ball, just had to learn the gears and how/when to ride the clutch.

Kickaha was swinging on a side car as he's banned from riding buckets due to his determination to blow the bloody things up.
Last side car race and he came looking for me to offer the ride as swinger to me, well what the hell why not.

Now as I'm of the belief that bikes have 2... thats two TWO wheels then these silly bloody 3 wheeled bikes should be banned as well... but here goes any way.

Having never ridden on a side car I knew this was going to be interesting.... and it was, I had a ball but it was a harder work out than 5min with Richard Simmons on the VCR.

Well loved it and would do it again, different having ya arse rubbing on the ground and drifting sideways, it has given me a new perspective of these things.

Last race for me was back on my old faithful the CB125Twin, I had just added a extra tooth for more top end as I was in the redline 1/2 way down the straight.... now it wont redline at all in top..... NEED more POWER.
Anyway... thats me till Nelson... bring it on.

Bren_chch
3rd December 2005, 21:31
yeah seen ya on that 3 wheeled thing... looked like hard work, i'd prolly have a blast on one if the oppertunity came about!

It was a good day till the drizzel started and ruined my come back from hell!! :bleh:

Kickaha
3rd December 2005, 22:29
yeah seen ya on that 3 wheeled thing... looked like hard work,

To hard for that boy anyway,collapsed in the pits afterwards complaining about sore arms, what a wuss :yes:

Kickaha
3rd December 2005, 22:37
I got asked by a new sidecar guy Alex if I’d swing on the outfit for this meeting as his partner who would usually do it was not available, arriving at the track he was already set up in the usual place the sidecars guys use only to watch the rest of them drive past and set up down the other end of the pits “bastards” so we wander down and acquire some space in Pig and Goobers Ezup

Only four sidecars out today and this was only Alex second race meeting although we had had him out at a practice day and both myself and Goober given him a few tips and were helping him get up to speed, and Goober and Pig were out to give their R1 powered outfit a thrashing and make sure it was all good before the trip north to Puke :yes:

Practice

Well he’s a fast learner and was giving it a lot harder time than when we were out last, gassing it up hard and sliding the rear and lighting it up out of the dipper, apart from one afternoon practice I haven’t spent any time hanging off the side of a sidecar this season and did it show or what, feeling very clumsy making the changeovers and cocking a few of them up but it doesn’t go off to badly

Race 1

We get a flyer off the line and lead into turn one, I’m wondering where everyone has got to and then Goober and Pig come past up the inside into the infield sweeper and start pulling away on the exit, we come onto the main straight and first Russell and then Bill come past us, we chase them off the end and close them down under brakes but they’re driving off the corners better and slowly pull away, I’m feeling a bit unco as I’m mucking up the timing of my changeovers through the S bends and it’s affecting the drive we’re getting off the corners

Then I get it wrong bigtime and don’t get across the left soon enough and I don’t get my hands where I want them which stuffs me up for the change back to the right and as Alex gasses it up instead of the drive he was expecting it lights up slides and grips and I just about go off the back of the outfit, we slide around a bit then he backs off a bit, I get where I want to be and we’re driving hard down the straight into the next right

A few laps later and we’ve closed Bill down and as we start the last lap we’re not far behind him and closing the gap each corner, up out of the dipper and fast through the left into the sweeper, running out a bit wider as we enter it and gassing it up as hard as possible through and onto the straight we pull out and pass Bill/Paul before the final flag:2thumbsup

Race 2
Russell and Bill have swapped outfits for this one and as we head out on the warm up lap there has been slight drizzle and the track is very greasy and we’re sliding all over the place, as we take up our grid position I lean over and ask Alex to “take it easy”, the lights go out and everyone goes to sleep on the line, I reckon the reaction time for everyone was at least a second, Bill is first away followed by Russell then us as we hit turn one Alex goes in deeper and we ride around Russell so close I can lean off and touch him, we spend the rest of the race after Goober and Pig blast past in a lonely third, we go through the fast kink sideways and light up the rear wheel on the way out but because of the wet we are at a slower place and I’m using it as practice to sort my handholds and changeovers out a bit better and starting to feel a bit more comfortable, the rear is sliding and gripping all the way around the sweeper and all to soon it’s over, Bill comes in and reports that when Goober and Pig passed him they did it going sideways

Race 3

The guys had decided to play about in this one and as Dangerous has always told me he’d like a go on one I line him up to go out with Alex, he gets about 30sec of instruction and I figure he is good to go, they get a reasonable start and while Goober and Brent (they swapped swinger as well) are playing with Bill up the front they are sitting back a little but after 4 laps of a 6 lap race they pull off and head back to the pits, Dangerous gets off the chair walking a bit unsteady and collapses on the ground complaining his arms don’t work, I kick him a couple of times and tell him to harden up but he’s to busy being a big frilly wuss to pay any attention, it was funny as fuck :killingme , damn I wish I’d thought to get the camera out

In hindsight perhaps it wasn’t such a good idea to put him out in a race when he hadn’t even sat on one before but it seemed like a great idea at the time :yes: and the aftermath provided a great bit of light entertainment :lol:

Bren_chch
3rd December 2005, 22:59
I kick him a couple of times and tell him to harden up but he’s to busy being a big frilly wuss to pay any attention

:killingme :rofl:

scumdog
4th December 2005, 04:20
Sheesh Kickaha, just reading you report brought me out in a sweat, naked arse but it must be a worry if you're a newby to being the swinger, the thought that if your arms weakened too much and you lost your grip..... does not bear thinking about (and we ain't talking about the bedroom here kids!).

Riff Raff
4th December 2005, 06:25
I'm starting to feel just an itsy bitsy scared... :confused:

Kickaha
4th December 2005, 07:38
I'm starting to feel just an itsy bitsy scared... :confused:

You'll be fine,Puke is easier than Ruapuna and Dangerous only had difficulty because he has the strength of a Jellyfish :yes:

Buddha#81
4th December 2005, 07:46
Dangerous.... Dangerous..... Dangerous..... you should have known to get off the chair look Kickaha in the eye and ask him "whats the fuss is all about". Shit he will have this over you for the rest of your life. Good on ya for giving it a nudge, from experience it is a tad frighting hanging on to a chair when your arms and hands are slowly turning to jelly.
Unlike my well tuned body i would have thought your bony 45kg (when wet) frame wouldnt have provided the desired balast required to keep a chair on the circuit.:2thumbsup

dangerous
4th December 2005, 08:20
the thought that if your arms weakened too much and you lost your grip..... does not bear thinking about
Yeah... thats what had me worried... not for me as I dont have far to fall... but the rider could well end up out of control.

Dangerous gets off the chair walking a bit unsteady and collapses on the ground complaining his arms don’t work, I kick him a couple of times and tell him to harden up but he’s to busy being a big frilly wuss to pay any attention, it was funny as fuck
Kicked me a couple of times.... you laid the bloody boot in real well..... but I seem to remember mumbling "kick the shit out of me I dont care cant feel it anyway, all numb"

Dangerous.... Dangerous..... Dangerous..... you should have known to get off the chair look Kickaha in the eye and ask him "whats the fuss is all about". Shit he will have this over you for the rest of your life. Good on ya for giving it a nudge, from experience it is a tad frighting hanging on to a chair when your arms and hands are slowly turning to jelly.
Well ya know what.... I was going to say just that when back in the pits, but after each lap I was becomming more and more in pain.... believe me fuk it hurt like hell, but I think it was because I wasent relaxed enough and hanging on to tight.

Tell ya what, it is tricky shit... 1st I found that my knee sliders were in the way, then as I wasent puting my feet in the right place twice I got my toe sliders stuck in the rear shock... (wee panic there) the changes from side to side has to be done bloody fast which I couldent do and I could tell that I was making it tricky for the rider as the rig was going all over the show.

Now its got me buggered how a old FZR1000 in a frame that weighs 3 times what a bike does and has a tyre on it wider than the arse end of Opra Winfrey and it hauls arse as fast and lights up so easy.

RiderInBlack
4th December 2005, 08:24
Remind me not to let Kickaha choose the Sidecar driver, if I ever get game enough to try swinging. Poor old Dangerous:killingme Off to the gym to build those puny arm, hey D:p