PDA

View Full Version : draggins or leathers

flash
3rd December 2005, 21:28
after thinking about getting draggin jeans for the last couple of months (even made a thread about it), i went to have a good look at them in the shops....
The jeans felt so damn thick and hot, not the best for summer i think. the reason why i decided to make a poll is that for the same price i could get some nice leather pants with knee sliders, etc...

now when/if you guys vote, i dont want it to be judged like "leathers better for crashing", "draggins are just cooler". i want it your decision based on all the factors like heat, wear in tear, comfort, saftey, coolness etc.

oh and when you do vote can you just give a little reason to it...
cheers:2thumbsup

cowpoos
3rd December 2005, 21:33
leather anyday..........just remeber...Its your arse!!!! pro racers use leather for a reason!

Biff
3rd December 2005, 21:34
Draggin jeans ( and other brands) have their place. But leather still offers the ultimate protection.

If you're going to chose only one - go leather IMO.

If nothing else it'll keep you warmer and dryer.

Zed
3rd December 2005, 21:37
Leather pants because they will save your skin, have padding and usually armour, & knee sliders will certainly encourage your cornering technique if you so choose. They *feel* nice to wear too! :blip:

flash
3rd December 2005, 21:43
yeah i like the idea of leather (ultimate protection), but it might make me not wear any protection if i just go down the road, draggins would fix that.

also the idea of just getting a one piece has the same faults. ild never wear them to school (where i do most of my riding) nor would i if i was going to a friends. how do you guys over come this?

Zed
3rd December 2005, 21:56
...how do you guys over come this?'Save up' and buy several different outfits for differerent occasions, that's what we do...or put them on your credit card, which you don't wan't to do!

flash
3rd December 2005, 21:58
'Save up' and buy several different outfits for differerent occasions, that's what we do...or put them on your credit card, which you don't wan't to do!

dude, im a poor jobless student. im splashing out to get one pair!!!:doh:

ducatilover
3rd December 2005, 21:59
dude, im a poor jobless student. im splashing out to get one pair!!!:doh:
same mate..... cheap draggins are better than cheap leathers [or so i've been told]:yes:

flash
3rd December 2005, 22:00
same mate..... cheap draggins are better than cheap leathers [or so i've been told]:yes:

draggins arnt cheap, the pair i wanted were $270 :angry: , i could get some quazimoto leather pants for the same price :eyepoke:

Zed
3rd December 2005, 22:02
dude, im a poor jobless student. im splashing out to get one pair!!!:doh:Where there is a will there is a way O Young One.

Big Dave
3rd December 2005, 22:02
I have both. both have applications.
motomail do 6 months interest free.

ducatilover
3rd December 2005, 22:03
draggins arnt cheap, the pair i wanted were $270 :angry: , i could get some quazimoto leather pants for the same price :eyepoke:
hmmm when i get back on the bike i'm getting some leather pants....:banana: and a potato

flash
Where there is a will there is a way O Young One.

find me a job and ill be working tomorrow :yes:

skelstar
Shift kevlar jeans rock and they are ~$160. I love mine. As CP mentioned pro-bikers wear leathers but then pro-bikers are exceeding 100km/h by a LOT.
Time and a place for both.
How do you ride? Nut-case or dairy-runner?

flash
3rd December 2005, 22:07

well lets just say ive sold my bike and will soon be getting a 250 two stroke. im not the fastest yet, but i will in a coupe of weeks (hopefully):2thumbsup

skelstar
3rd December 2005, 22:10
well lets just say ive sold my bike and will soon be getting a 250 two stroke. im not the fastest yet, but i will in a coupe of weeks (hopefully):2thumbsup
You said 'yet' so maybe leathers.

Zed
3rd December 2005, 22:12
find me a job and ill be working tomorrow :yes:Grasshopper, if you find yourself a job you'll be a better you because of it...such things usually don't come handed to you on a silver platter, if you're willing to work there will be a job available for you somewhere TYO.

flash
3rd December 2005, 22:17
You said 'yet' so maybe leathers.

the only reason stoping me now is that all i wear are jeans for the bottom half. and also where i live, most the good roads are vercially one laned so you have to watch out every corner

flash
3rd December 2005, 22:18
Grasshopper, if you find yourself a job you'll be a better you because of it...such things usually don't come handed to you on a silver platter, if you're willing to work there will be a job available for you somewhere TYO.

cut the grasshopper shit, give me a job!, especially if i do get the 250 two stroke, every penny will go into her

Zed
3rd December 2005, 22:20
the only reason stoping me now is that all i wear are jeans for the bottom half. and also where i live, most the good roads are vercially one laned so you have to watch out every cornerWhatever you do TYO just make sure you get *some* protection for your lower half asap, especially with the new two-stroker coming. Jeans just don't cut it.

skelstar
3rd December 2005, 22:23
Whatever you do TYO just make sure you get *some* protection for your lower half asap, especially with the new two-stroker coming. Jeans just don't cut it.
When I got my jeans (kevlar) I rode to work (motorway) and kinda sensible-shat myself. Went and bought some motoX kneepads ($30 thanks). Makes me feel a lot better.

gingle
3rd December 2005, 22:29
Leathers every time! I wear em in 40+
Speed has no bearing on it. I have a friend who came off a few weeks ago at approx 20kph. Still pulling gravel out of the knee!
Dragins will only save you from abrasion, not impact.

2much
3rd December 2005, 22:36
$270 for Draggins? you're getting ripped, shop around (you should pay $240 max). As for Quasi's leather's, I have a pair and can vouch for their quality.

Think about what kind of riding you do and what kind of riding you plan to do.... once you know this, you'll know what suits you.

The draggins are convenient, comfortable and offer a pretty good level of protection. Excellent for commuting and cruising. However, if you plan to do the coro loop at full nuts, you really need the leathers, they will save your arse and ensure you live to ride another day.

I have both and found the extra confidence that the leathers give you is amazing, however i still love the draggins for when I'm not giving it snot.

hope that helps.

The Stranger
3rd December 2005, 22:57
Got both.

The leathers I feel are safer because they have impact protection and abrasion protection, but the jeans are more comfortable and as the wind blows straight through them.

On a day like today the leather is quite hot. For round town on days like today I use the jeans. But on a trip I will still use the leathers.

danb
3rd December 2005, 23:07
Well after giving me new leathers a try (ex Fents (yes the yellow and black ones)) today I have to admit they are darn comfy – temp is good not to hot not to cool. I have the spool textile gear and sometimes this can get a little to hot (especially when you are not moving) however I would not like to be in a high speed mishap in them.
Commuting I would think would be fine for dragging jeans.
Also might want to consider how water proof each of them is.

Big Dave
3rd December 2005, 23:14
What I like best about the draggin's is that you can do stuff in them when you get off the bike.
If I'm going for a walk or a party or whatever - ie travelling to somewhere by bike - then the draggin's are a good compromise of safety and street clothes.

I'll wear them riding no prob too, aprticularly on a hot day, but don't push anywhere near as hard as when i have the new leather on.
If I'm going for a hard out ride - then i max the protection.
Risk management innit.

inlinefour
4th December 2005, 05:17
then I heard some horror stories and promptly rubbished the whole notion. Would not go anywhere near them now. I've had a few offs and would rather pay more and try to keep my skin.:msn-wink:

RiderInBlack
4th December 2005, 07:45
A mate of mine hit some diesel in Arrowtown on his Wide Glide over the 100KPH mark, and his Draggins did fine. Very slight bruising and lost the pocket, but was up to riding (we put his Wide Glide back together again the next day and rode to Haast that day). Every other rider that hit that diesel was spending time in hospital. So Draggins can't be that bad.

heavenly.talker
4th December 2005, 09:08
Really depends on what type of riding you are planning on doing :-)

Coyote
4th December 2005, 11:02
My Draggin Chinos are pretty good for comfort, I don't have much trouble with getting too hot and are really cool whilst riding. They're really good walking around in winter as the kevlar makes them warm but they're not so good on cold or/and wet days. I don't mind so much myself as i perfur being really cold but I could see anyone else feeling uncomfortable having their legs frozen. The big advantage with the chinos though is I can use them as school uniform, for formal occasions and in the gargre, and if they get dirty you can just bung them in the wachine machine with the rest of the washing, unlike leathers

Sniper
4th December 2005, 11:15
Go with Leathers matey. Damn comfy and damn safe

lowededwookie
5th December 2005, 08:37
Personally I prefer Cordura. Yes it is bulkier but it is harder wearing than even leather and it offers better wet weather protection than leather.

If all you do is round town riding then Draggin's will be fine. I have a pair of Draggin' Cargos and they are very comfortable to wear.

emaN
5th December 2005, 08:57
As someone said, they should help reduce abrasions...but there's nothing to guard against the (almost) inevitable impact!

Wore mine thru' europe, during a european summer, didn't find 'em overly hot.
I have the 'cargo' ones; only prob is the crotch seems a bit 'short & tight' - could just be me :blip: tho, innit?

Get your Draggins now; then start/keep saving for good leathers, before you go throwing $$ at the bike! No good spending cash and having a mint bike, if you're legs are crook & you can't ride it!

Coyote
5th December 2005, 09:06
Wore mine thru' europe, during a european summer, didn't find 'em overly hot.
I have the 'cargo' ones; only prob is the crotch seems a bit 'short & tight' - could just be me :blip: tho, innit?

Don't all pants do that?

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 09:15
I'm not baggin Draggin but if I was you I'd get decent leathers and make sure you have them fitted properly.

I came off recently and lost a lot of skin on my left forearm after going through the leather and getting some abrasion burns underneath it. Plus some burns on my arse where the leather rode over the skin a bit which was rather unpleasant for a few weeks!

5 weeks on and I'm still going for daily dressings on the arm and I wouldn't be suprised if I'll be seeing in the New Year with a couple of sexy nurses and a doctor or two.

The Stranger
5th December 2005, 09:25
Personally I prefer Cordura. Yes it is bulkier but it is harder wearing than even leather.

Are you saying that it is harder wearing than leather for abrasion resistance in a slide?

HenryDorsetCase
5th December 2005, 12:15
it depends entirely on what you are riding and what for:

scenario: taking the motorbike to work, or down the shops, or out to Sumner to eat fish and chips by the sea side:

you dont want to wear a one piece leather suit for that because its hot, and you will be spending more time off the bike and wandering round than on it. DRaggin jeans ( I bought a pair on Saturday), plus some ankle coverage boots and obviously jacket helmet and gloves would be perfect.

scenario: track day, or "Who can get to Akaroa quickest" Leathers and paid up life insurance.

Scenario: touring: two piece leathers with stretchy and breathy bits would be perfect, but a one piece racer boy suit not so good. maybe draggin jeans with armour would be OK also?

MrMelon
5th December 2005, 12:43
I'd say get some kevlar jeans first. (Shift or Draggin) You'll be much more likely to put them on whether you're going out for a little blast around, or just using your bike to get somewhere... at least this way you've always got some protection. With leather pants you'll need to carry a change of pants around with you and have somewhere to change when you get there. If you just had leather pants it's far more likely you'd just tell yourself that normal jeans will be fine if you're just going across town or on a short ride and you'd be no better off than you were without anything.

You can get knee armour for kevlar jeans for about $30 which you don't always have to keep in, so I reckon that would be a much better option.

Cookie
5th December 2005, 13:06
While this topic is being discussed, does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Rev't "Tribe" pants?

As seen here for example:

http://www.motomail.co.nz/motosale2/tribe.html

I've got a pair of very Dririder pants with armour but they are too hot for summer and I find myself riding around in normal jeans at the moment :bash:

I was thinking these might be a cheeper alternative to the Draggins which are my next option. Any comments welcome.

NC
5th December 2005, 15:20
Go with Leathers matey. Damn comfy and damn safe
I agree, I just don't like Draggin jeans. Even though they are practical.

Lou Girardin
5th December 2005, 16:01
I'm not baggin Draggin but if I was you I'd get decent leathers and make sure you have them fitted properly.

I came off recently and lost a lot of skin on my left forearm after going through the leather and getting some abrasion burns underneath it. Plus some burns on my arse where the leather rode over the skin a bit which was rather unpleasant for a few weeks!

Does this mean your leathers weren't decent?

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 16:09
Not at all, they were bloody good (Heine Gericke Celtic 2 piece) but I hit the road fairly hard which punctured them as far as I can see. Then there was the sliding which caused the rest of the damage. I think I could have gone a size smaller or had them tailored a little though. Problem is I'm pretty tall so the larger sizes tend to be a little roomy and the leather had stretched a little, whilst I had also lost a few kg. The resultant movement caused a few friction burns.

Lou Girardin
5th December 2005, 16:19
Not at all, they were bloody good (Heine Gericke Celtic 2 piece) but I hit the road fairly hard which punctured them as far as I can see. Then there was the sliding which caused the rest of the damage. I think I could have gone a size smaller or had them tailored a little though. Problem is I'm pretty tall so the larger sizes tend to be a little roomy and the leather had stretched a little, whilst I had also lost a few kg. The resultant movement caused a few friction burns.

OK, right then. That put me in my place.

flash
5th December 2005, 17:39
ohh yeah baby, just had a look on the kb home page, and this is the "current poll", someone give me rep :killingme

flash
5th December 2005, 18:37
to whoever actually gave me rep, thankyou (im not a senior member so i dont know who) but the thing you said in the comments just didnt make any sense.:msn-wink:

im now leaning towards the leather pants, mainly just for saftey and the knee sliders but also so i can zip it with the jacket and make a two-piece. ive always been scared of those small moto jackets, i always think they will ride up when i slide, ziping it to the pants will stop that.

also im gona ride as fast as i can just about every weekend and i dont think the no armour draggin jeans will cut it (unless i wear my moto knee pads)

NordieBoy
5th December 2005, 18:55
Fast riding - Leather.
Short stuff and stuff where you are going to be doing stuff when you get there - Draggin.

Love my Draggin black jeans.

HenryDorsetCase
5th December 2005, 19:39
to whoever actually gave me rep, thankyou (im not a senior member so i dont know who) but the thing you said in the comments just didnt make any sense.:msn-wink:

im now leaning towards the leather pants, mainly just for saftey and the knee sliders but also so i can zip it with the jacket and make a two-piece. ive always been scared of those small moto jackets, i always think they will ride up when i slide, ziping it to the pants will stop that.

also im gona ride as fast as i can just about every weekend and i dont think the no armour draggin jeans will cut it (unless i wear my moto knee pads)

sounds like the plan.

:thumbsup:

Zed
5th December 2005, 20:27
to whoever actually gave me rep, thankyou (im not a senior member so i dont know who) but the thing you said in the comments just didnt make any sense.:msn-wink: It wasn't me, but that's hillarious! :killingme

also im gona ride as fast as i can just about every weekend and i dont think the no armour draggin jeans will cut it (unless i wear my moto knee pads)You've given some good reasons to go with the leather pants...just make sure that when you use the knee sliders that you stay on the bike while they are in use! :2thumbsup

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 20:34
im now leaning towards the leather pants

Maurice says the crotchless ones are REALLY comfy and breathable in this hot muggy weather. Unfortunately they don't protect the really sensitive bits but as Maurice says "What kind of fag crashes a chocolate cruiser?" "A real poof!"

He's crazy, old Maurice!

cowpoos
5th December 2005, 20:41
Shift kevlar jeans rock and they are ~$160. I love mine. As CP mentioned pro-bikers wear leathers but then pro-bikers are exceeding 100km/h by a LOT.
Time and a place for both.

hmmm...I canned off at about 60-70kmph....wearing condura armoured pants...front wheel hit some shinge on a patched up piece of road...no sign...remind me to show you my left knee when we get around to meeting up for a ride...

I won't wear anything but leather now...

but thats my personable prefference....I like my skin :)

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 20:53

but thats my personable prefference....I like my the way it feels on my skin. Soft yet firm, just the way it make me feel *blush*:)

Poos, you dirty boy!!

cowpoos
5th December 2005, 20:57

try some alpinestars on...they seem to acomadate tall riders well...

cowpoos
5th December 2005, 21:01
Poos, you dirty boy!!

you little bitch....PM me now...tell me how you did that....or you'll get a spanking you naughty naughty little boy!!!

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 21:03
Yeah, I tried some but didn't feel as good as the Gericke and nearly twice the price. The BESTEST shit I did try on was the Wolf Racing Kangaroo gear. Man is that gear the shit! In fact I may just have to send my bitches out for an extra few hours this weekend and hang the expense! Wolf One Piece at table 2 garcon!

boomer
5th December 2005, 21:56
In fact I may just have to send my bitches out for an extra few hours this weekend and hang the expense!

Ain't they already out? i heard one was in OZ :psst:

cowpoos
5th December 2005, 22:04
Yeah, I tried some but didn't feel as good as the Gericke ...but I adore PVC against my baby smooth skin....especially when WINJA strokes me with those manly hands...The BESTEST shit I did try was having anal with a Wolf Racing Kangaroo Man that ROO was the shit! In fact I may just have to send my bitches out for an extra few hours this weekend and hang the expense!

Like that dover?

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 22:05
Yeah, those hourly rates are amazing after you do the exchange rate.

Juzzer is a good little earner!! Aren't you out with some Pommie business man who wanted a norvern monkey to keep him warm tonight? You better have my hundred bucks tomorrow you little homo.........

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 22:07
Like that dover?

FUCK, these cuntry boys learn quick like!! God bless the civil union bill, now these fags can get out of the kitchen!!

No more shame!!!

"Oi loikes moi compuser loik dah..."

boomer
5th December 2005, 22:17
Yeah, those hourly rates are amazing after you do the exchange rate.

Juzzer is a good little earner!! Aren't you out with some Pommie business man who wanted a norvern monkey to keep him warm tonight? You better have my hundred bucks tomorrow you little homo.........

He wanted someone a little more 'up class' apparantly :shutup: can i pay you next week :whistle:

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 22:22
Fuck, you're gonna earn that interest boomer. I hope that CBR cossets your ass!

gingle
5th December 2005, 22:51

but thats my personable prefference....I like my skin :)

Gotta agree with that!
I don't put a price tag on when it comes to skin. I use custom fit tiger angel pants for rideouts/track & if i'm just going down town it's my old leather pants (Padded but not armored).
Carry spare set of dudes if i need to.

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 22:53
Carry spare set of dudes if i need to.

Is that in case you get lucky down at the Blue Oyster Bar??

Maurice reckons he knows you? Do you call yourself Kylie at the weekend??

lowededwookie
6th December 2005, 12:08
Are you saying that it is harder wearing than leather for abrasion resistance in a slide?Yes. I can personally attest to this because I have only had Cordura bike gear (except my Draggin's).

I had a crash in August 2000 and the only damage to my gear (aside from the helmet) was the leather padding that was on the knee pads. They got cut up and the stitching at the top of the padding came undone. However, the Cordura was unaffected. It did not rip and none of the stitching came undone aside from the afforementioned leather knee pads.

My jacket had Kevlar padding in the shoulders, elbows, and back.