PDA

View Full Version : Best (leatherman) multitool for bikes?

El Dopa
4th December 2005, 13:22
Well, it's that time of year again, and the missus has just asked me what I want for Christmas.

I've always fancied a leatherman multitool of some type, and I'm thinking that something along those lines would probably come in useful for minor roadside maintenance as well.

I've had a wee look around the shops, and there are about a dozen different variations, each model having a different tool combination.

So, anyone who owns one, or one of the other brands, which one do you recommend, and why?

All other comments and opinions welcome.

madmal64
4th December 2005, 13:39
Well Ive got a Leatherman "Wave" Ive had it for 3 years now and its the most used peice of kit Ive got while riding.
I use the pliers and the scissors quite a bit and having both a phillips and flat head driver is very handy. Infact I think ive uses most of the tools on it at least once apart from the halliard thingy ma gigiy.
Bloody expensive to purchase but well worth it. I decieded to get one after a little off I had and a mate of mine ened up cutting me out of a fence (a long story) and along with my tool kit and the leatherman we got my bike running and I was able to ride it home.
Since getting mine Ive only used to for very minor work on my bike while out riding, but now I dont leave home without it.

slopster
4th December 2005, 15:02
I've got a gerber multiplier and it is one of the best pieces of kit I own. I use it everyday for work and always take it with me on the bike. Better then the leathermans cos the pliers slide out instead of folding out so you can open it with one hand which is real good when your holding something with the other hand. Wasn't stupidly expensive either. Only thing to watch with all those tools is the pliers arn't made for cutting heavy wire and if you do it burrs the cutters and they are hard to open and close.

Wolf
4th December 2005, 15:09
I always carry the Leatherman Wave, used it for a great number of things. File, saw, two large one-hand-opening knives, a variety of screwdrivers including philips, scissors, needle-nosed pliers - excellent combination. I've seen that some have adapters available to allow the use of a limited range of sockets but I do not know how efficacious these would be. The sockets available tend to be the smaller sizes anyway.

No pocket tool is going to have everything you could possibly need, but so far I've found that between the Wave and a Victorinox pocket knife (which has a corkscrew and an awl that the Wave lacks) I have been able to perform most improvised repairs and needful tasks (opening cans and bottles and extracting corks).

Cost me $260 when I bought it - a good investment by my calculation.

I'd definitely buy a Leatherman or one of the Victorinox pocket tools as a present for someone based on my experience with those makes. I understand Gerber is very good but I've never used their products so i can't speak from experience.

Wolf
4th December 2005, 15:12
I've got a gerber multiplier ... Better then the leathermans cos the pliers slide out instead of folding out so you can open it with one hand which is real good when your holding something with the other hand.
That's what I liked most about Gerber's design. I got the Wave because I liked the way the knives can be opened one-handed like a "Spyderco" knife.

I can still open the Wave one-handed anyway - "Butterfly knife" style.

Fordy
4th December 2005, 15:37
Note of caution: I've got Hein Gericke multitool which was good value and well made. It has the pliers, knife, saw, yada, yada that the Leatherman has plus interchangeable screwdriver bits like you use on a cordless drill, 9 bits in all that stay in little elastic pockets on the inside face of the pouch it comes in.

BUT, when its under my seat vibrating away the little bits shake themselves out of their little pockets :doh: So I now wrap my tool in plastic before shoving it under the seat so I don't lose any bits :blip:

Wolf
4th December 2005, 15:45
Note of caution: I've got Hein Gericke multitool which was good value and well made. It has the pliers, knife, saw, yada, yada that the Leatherman has plus interchangeable screwdriver bits like you use on a cordless drill, 9 bits in all that stay in little elastic pockets on the inside face of the pouch it comes in.

BUT, when its under my seat vibrating away the little bits shake themselves out of their little pockets :doh: So I now wrap my tool in plastic before shoving it under the seat so I don't lose any bits :blip:

Sounds like the pouch is a bit of a frost. What's it like when you wear it on your belt, do the bits come loose then?

Edit: I notice you're relatively new here, which might explain why you were naive enough to post something about "wrapping your tool" in anything. Rest assured, you've done what it takes to learn about Bugjuice "the hard way"...

Fordy
4th December 2005, 17:47
Never tried to wear it on my belt, the Tool Time Tim look just isn't me.

Rest asured the double entendre was entirely intentional...you didn't pick up on the 'shoving it under the seat'... ffnnar, ffnnar :lol:

myvice
4th December 2005, 18:28
My wife got me a Gerber a couple of years ago, best thing you could ask for!
Didn’t like the Leatherman ones, the Gerber isn’t as hard on your hands and all of the blades lock back.

Posh Tourer :P
4th December 2005, 19:59
I looked at the gerbers,and thought the flick out pliers looked more flimsy than the Leatherman.......

Looks like we've got another 'my oil is better than your oil' unresolvable thread going....

Motu
5th December 2005, 06:58
I've got a Schrade Multitool,it's the best one I've ever seen,but they don't make them any more.I had my first one stolen from my van,and when I went replace it was not impressed with ''other'' brands,after the Schrade they were crap.But then I found one on TradeMe and it stays with me all the time now.

750Y
5th December 2005, 07:11
Get the McGiver model with optional gas canister,subsonic reverberator & laser pointer, or the deluxe that comes with retractable toilet roll holder.. 8-)

HenryDorsetCase
5th December 2005, 08:15
Ive got one of the original Leatherman ones which is ten? years old now and stillworks as good as new. It goes everywhere with me pretty much, either mountainbiking or on the motorbike and its been very useful.

every home should have one.

El Dopa
6th December 2005, 18:59
Thanks for all your replies. I will ponder and make my decision.

geoffm
6th December 2005, 19:43
Got an original Leatherman PST. Now over 10 years old, and has cut miles of flexiduct wire (mig wire). Not recommended but it worked...
Only complaints is mine doesn't have locking tools - this is a real pain as things fold up as you push on them.
The knife blade doesn't hold a good edge.
The new ones may be better in these regards. I carry mine everywhere - it is small enough to be inconsicious. I work in an office, and arriving to a meeting with clients looking like Tim the Toolman or Bob the Builder is not a good look.
I hate these airport rules where you can't carry multitools or army knives on the plane.
Geoff

HenryDorsetCase
6th December 2005, 22:02
I hate these airport rules where you can't carry multitools or army knives on the plane.
Geoff

same. thats why I always carry a kilo of semtex, some detonators, a beretta 9mm, and a copy of the Koran.

also its important to shout Allah Akhbar! as loud as you can when you get airborne, it puts all the other passengers at ease.

Wolf
6th December 2005, 23:27
Screw the Beretta, get a Walther or a Glock - either is more reliable and holds more rounds than a Beretta...

jim.cox
7th December 2005, 14:45
For me the most useful tool is the scissors

They are not that common on the multiools - so it limited my choice somewhat.

I ended up with a leatherman PST.

It is generally good - but I dont like the wavy balde on the knife - its hard to sharpen - and it would be better if the blades locked into place.

An adapter to take a socket would be useful for a biker methinks.

just my $0.02

Jim

Wolf
7th December 2005, 15:00
I ended up with a leatherman PST.

It is generally good - but I dont like the wavy balde on the knife - its hard to sharpen - and it would be better if the blades locked into place.

An adapter to take a socket would be useful for a biker methinks.

just my $0.02

Jim
I looked at the PST and PST-II but decided I didn't like the sharp edges on the grips when opened into plier configuration. The Wave has rounded edges when folded out so you can apply reasonable pressure with the pliers without cutting parallel lines into your palm and fingers.

kerryg
7th December 2005, 15:11
I bought a thing that looks like a Leatherman at The Red Shed for $10.......

I feel ashamed.

El Dopa
7th December 2005, 18:28
I bought a thing that looks like a Leatherman at The Red Shed for $10.......
[/SIZE]

come back and tell us how well it's lasting in a month or two:lol:

thehollowmen
7th December 2005, 19:27
I've got a wave and the attachment for all the bolts and stuff too..

not the best, the stock toolkit is best but.. it helps

HenryDorsetCase
12th December 2005, 15:10
I've got a Schrade Multitool,it's the best one I've ever seen,but they don't make them any more.I had my first one stolen from my van,and when I went replace it was not impressed with ''other'' brands,after the Schrade they were crap.But then I found one on TradeMe and it stays with me all the time now.

Following your recommendation above I just bought an absolute mint Schrade multitool off tardme for $40 bucks

Its quite a bit bigger than my Leatherman, but christ its solid. and decent grip from the pliers etc.

Thanks for the heads up! green bling 4 u !

Motu
12th December 2005, 19:04
You'll never go back to a Leatherman now! They are just kids toy compared to the Schrade.What sort of pouch has it got? My first one had a leather one,but I felt a dork wearing it....which is why it got stolen out of my van.My second one (new) came with a fabric pouch and I wore it for a year until it wore out,now it lives in my bum bag,which goes where I go.But I want another pouch,I like to have it on me,that's when you get into using them....I have seen them on Ebay,but they won't ship here,maybe I'll look again.

El Dopa
14th December 2005, 19:27
You'll never go back to a Leatherman now! They are just kids toy compared to the Schrade.What sort of pouch has it got? My first one had a leather one,but I felt a dork wearing it....which is why it got stolen out of my van.My second one (new) came with a fabric pouch and I wore it for a year until it wore out,now it lives in my bum bag,which goes where I go.But I want another pouch,I like to have it on me,that's when you get into using them....I have seen them on Ebay,but they won't ship here,maybe I'll look again.

Are there different types of Schrade multitool, or just the one?

Motu
14th December 2005, 20:09
I think they were SP1,here's one going soon,they were well over $200 when new 5 years ago,I paid $135 for my fist,$95 for my 2nd,anything under $100 would be a bargin.http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Hunting-shooting/Knives/auction-42735537.htm