PDA

View Full Version : 4500 kms in 18 days with pillion. Part 5

Jantar
4th December 2005, 14:52
Wednesday 9th November: We left Blackbird's place and headed up Colson's Hill for a view over Tokoroa. Then back down into town and a tiki tour through the business district before heading to Whakamaru and my old stamping grounds. Kelly motors at Mangakino was our next fuelling stop then down into the King Country. The Bennydale road was a real pleasure to ride despite coming up to convoy of 5 trucks travelling too close together to allow any passing manouvers. Once again the weather gods were smiling on us as we just cruised along. As usual I chose to bypass Te Kuiti and head direct to 8 Mile Junction then down to Pio Pio for a coffee stop. By now I was realising just how many extra stops are necessary when taking a pillion as opposed to solo riding. Still, there are other advantages to having one's wife along on a long ride.

The Awakino Gorge was just perfect: Lovely sweeping bends, light traffic and a good road surface meant that we made really good time without needing to push the speed. We stopped at Mokau for lunch and took a little time for the first views of Mt Egmount. A few kms down the road we made another stop to take some scenic photos, and it was as we were pulling back out onto the road that a cop came up close behind us. I accelerated gently to exactly 100 kmh, and despite the fact that I wasn't speeding he was very slowly dropping back. Then after he had been following for at least 5 minutes, and had dropped back to around 400 m behind me he gave me a zap on the radar. Shortly after he just pulled up and stopped at the side of the road. As he had followed me for so long he knew exactly what speed I was doing so why bother with the radar?

Further along, there was a guy on an HD Sporty pulling out of a layby and heading the same direction we were. The bike was just like Scumdog's right down to the tassles. We cruised together for a while then he must have decided we were too slow and off he went into the distance.

We didn't go into New Plymouth. but turned off to Inglewood then on to our accomadation near Egmont Village.

That night we went back into Inglewood looking for a beer and a meal (in that order). I stopped at the first pub we saw (across the railway line), and as we got off the bike we saw another pub back in town. Mrs J and I both looked at each other, looked at the two pubs and each instantly decided that the other pub looked more like our type of establishment. I still don't why we both thought that way, both pubs looked as though they were in a equal state of repair, there was just something. Anyway, we rode back to the second pub and within minutes discovered that we made the right choice. It was a biker's pub. The owner had two motorbikes, both HDs :scooter: , (but we could forgive that), and he and his wife were planning their South Island trip in february to the Hog rally.

We also discovered that we had timed it just right for happy hour, and the owner had already taught the kitchen staff that when bikers arrive for a meal, they expect good food, plenty of it, and don't bother with the decorations.

Thursday 10th November: This was to be day exploring around Mt Egmont. Another brilliant sunny day, with just a little cloud arond the mountain, as we headed down to Stratford for lunch then up to the skifield on the eastern side of the mountain. This is perfect motorcycling road, narrow, twisty and no traffic. The views were good, but not spectacular as that little bit of cloud was just at the right spot to obstruct much of the scenery. Back down the mountain then around Egmont via the top road. Somewhere near Oponaki we stopped for another photo opportunity, then continued on to Pukeiti Rhododenron Gardens for afternoon tea.

Just short of this stop we almost came to a very sudden stop indeed. We were not traveling very fast fortunately, when a truck came around the corner taking up the entire road. I just looked at the small gap between the truck and the edge of road and took it. We got through, but there wasn't much to spare. If I had have just stopped, the truck couldn't. Its just as well we were on a bike, as a car would have been hit front on. We headed back to Egmont Village, then once again into Inglewood for a beer and dinner.

Naturally, we chose the same pub again, and as we sat outside with our beer a large group of bikes started arriving. All sizes and types of bikes, and they just kept right on coming. :chase: Thank you new Plymouth for such a great welcome. After talking to a couple on an Aprilia we discovered that this was a regular thursday night get-together organised by one of the local bike shops.

More to come....

Divot
7th December 2005, 11:20
What was the name of the pub so we all know when passing thru

RiderInBlack
8th December 2005, 06:10
What was the name of the pub so we all know when passing thruSecond that motion. What's the Pub's name?

Jantar
15th December 2005, 19:34
What was the name of the pub so we all know when passing thru

As far as I'm aware its just called "Inglewood Hotel". There are only two pubs there and the other one is called "Railway Hotel". Maybe some of the Taranaki riders on here can confirm?