PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia SR50

soove9
4th December 2005, 23:21
Hey everyone, new here to the forums n stuff =P
anyways, i just got an aprilia sr50 scoot, n i love it, just an awesome machine to ride around peak hour on a nice sunny afternoon. im just looking to make it go faster, at the moment its derestricted, n the speedo gets to about 93km, which im guessin is sitting on 80km real speed. what can i get n do to make it get over that?? does anyone else have one of these that they've moded or what not??
cheers peeps =D

Gremlin
4th December 2005, 23:44
Welcome to KB, enjoy the madhouse :niceone:

Now, as to making a scooter go faster, we at KB just can't help ourselves, so I'll spoil everyone else's fun by posting this helpful how-do-I-make-a-scooter-go-faster thread:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=18409

zooter
4th December 2005, 23:49
Hope you've got a class 6 licence riding that bad boy.
If you want to go more than 80 on a 50cc for any length of time you are going to need a 70cc kit, primary upgear and high performance variator kit. Probably a new carb/manifold and exhaust also. No small investment in parts. Add labour and you can double your investment in your scoot.

soove9
4th December 2005, 23:59
Welcome to KB, enjoy the madhouse :niceone:

Now, as to making a scooter go faster, we at KB just can't help ourselves, so I'll spoil everyone else's fun by posting this helpful how-do-I-make-a-scooter-go-faster thread:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=18409

haahah.. nice.. cheers for the link

soove9
5th December 2005, 00:02
Hope you've got a class 6 licence riding that bad boy.
If you want to go more than 80 on a 50cc for any length of time you are going to need a 70cc kit, primary upgear and high performance variator kit. Probably a new carb/manifold and exhaust also. No small investment in parts. Add labour and you can double your investment in your scoot.

hahaha.. yea.. of course.. they wouldnt sell me until i got the licence... =P
its one of those DiTech ones.. the SR50 GP1, i was lookin on the malossi website, n from what understand the GP1 uses a Piaggio engine?? is there an actual difference between say the SR50 GP1 and the SR50 Replica?? btw where can i get these mods?? net?? or dealers around??

Gremlin
5th December 2005, 00:12
pm "texmo", he's the scooter god around here, 'cept he also rides a motorbike... he's confused :lol:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=1492

MisterD
5th December 2005, 08:33
its one of those DiTech ones.. the SR50 GP1, i was lookin on the malossi website, n from what understand the GP1 uses a Piaggio engine?? is there an actual difference between say the SR50 GP1 and the SR50 Replica?? btw where can i get these mods?? net?? or dealers around??

Check out PM Tuning www.pmtuning.co.uk they're the auto tuning experts, and the people I got my tune-up bits for my ET from. Customer service is sometimes not the hottest, but they know their stuff.

Welcome to KB, there is also a 2-stroke NZ forum out there which may give you some CHCH scooter contacts, and stop by www.magnetos.org as well, we're Akld based but all scooterists.

Fart
5th December 2005, 13:53
How much did the SR50 cost you?

texmo
5th December 2005, 18:44
Hey everyone, new here to the forums n stuff =P
anyways, i just got an aprilia sr50 scoot, n i love it, just an awesome machine to ride around peak hour on a nice sunny afternoon. im just looking to make it go faster, at the moment its derestricted, n the speedo gets to about 93km, which im guessin is sitting on 80km real speed. what can i get n do to make it get over that?? does anyone else have one of these that they've moded or what not??
cheers peeps =D
I know somebody who used to own one and tuned it, I will ask what he did and what you can do, there are other forums around the best being scooterbbs (http://www.scooterbbs.com/) but take everything they say with a pinch of salt most of them jsut talk about scooter and have no real Idea, But If you are serious about making this thing go fast, its gonna cost you a lot more than you will think, because scooter tuning is such a small market it costs a lot, Will get back to you by next week or so...

zooter
6th December 2005, 19:13
Check out used Gilera Runner 180's, for the money you're going to have to invest to get that mad 50 to go any faster you can probably get a ready to go, reliably fast and pretty damn sexy fast scoot. You can get aftermarket parts for them too.
The thing about tuning scooters is, nothing works by itself to make you go faster, except going on a diet if you're a fat bastard. You need to upgrade the whole drivetrain to get any increase in top speed.

texmo
6th December 2005, 19:18
The thing about tuning scooters is, nothing works by itself to make you go faster, except going on a diet if you're a fat bastard. You need to upgrade the whole drivetrain to get any increase in top speed.
Throw a 80 kit onto a et2 wham your doing 80km/hr faster acceleration, no mess with carbs the jets dont need to be cahnged, same with the drivetrain and rollers, and from what I am aware its the same with a Rs50, I would prefer an Rs50 over a runnner anyday in traffic I used one asa courier for a bit and it was shit.... Still a nice scooter though.

zooter
6th December 2005, 19:30
Lots of scooters have had Piaggio powerplants, the go up to around 900cc vtwin bike motors. From memory ditech is watercooled? That adds a whole spectrum of complexity which I've never dealt with. It would certainly make sense being an 80+kph 50cc. Replica schmeklica, probably sustantially the same but not factory equipped.
Really it doesn't make sense to me to spend a heap more to hop up an already peak tuned bike. I'm in the middle of tuning up my smallframe vespa, about 1000 bucks for the parts but I'm enjoying doing it myself with limited mechanical knowledge.
When I phoned Scooterworld in Akl they advised me to get my et3 parts myself over the net because it's cheaper for individuals to import small quantities and not be charged the gst than for the shop to get it. Try signing up on the SIP scootershop message board to research tuning recipes for auto scoots, check their pricelists (it comes up in nz dollars if you log in as Kiwi)and you'll probably have second thoughts. If not PM me and i'll tell you how to get around the humungous freight charge.

texmo
6th December 2005, 22:07
Lots of scooters have had Piaggio powerplants, the go up to around 900cc vtwin bike motors. From memory ditech is watercooled? That adds a whole spectrum of complexity which I've never dealt with. It would certainly make sense being an 80+kph 50cc. Replica schmeklica, probably sustantially the same but not factory equipped.
Really it doesn't make sense to me to spend a heap more to hop up an already peak tuned bike. I'm in the middle of tuning up my smallframe vespa, about 1000 bucks for the parts but I'm enjoying doing it myself with limited mechanical knowledge.
When I phoned Scooterworld in Akl they advised me to get my et3 parts myself over the net because it's cheaper for individuals to import small quantities and not be charged the gst than for the shop to get it. Try signing up on the SIP scootershop message board to research tuning recipes for auto scoots, check their pricelists (it comes up in nz dollars if you log in as Kiwi)and you'll probably have second thoughts. If not PM me and i'll tell you how to get around the humungous freight charge.
Scooteremotion is cheepest place to buy stuff from bar none, end of discussion he has family connections with freight so gets it mega cheep and gets parts mega cheep as knows the SIP guys, as he is german

soove9
13th December 2005, 22:18
hey cheers texmo... really helped.. i might just hold off on it till after summer before i do anything to it... haha.. i like to get my hands dirty too.. n its a good learnin curve anyway... =D

soove9
13th December 2005, 22:22
How much did the SR50 cost you?
bout 5G out of pocket :P

texmo
22nd December 2005, 15:36
Spoke to a mate who imports some kits and he can get you a kit that will make an SR50 produce a fair bit more power if you want more info and a price I can find out for you, the race bike im building up is gonna use a fabrizi kit too.
You should consider buying a Giller runner 180sp There is one left in the world thats brand new and it just happens to be in NZ, they are wicked.