PDA

View Full Version : Back on it...

fzr400rr
3rd March 2004, 09:03
Finally back on it. I rode an '88 Kawasaki GPX250RR in my varsity days, not a bad ride for a cheap price. Now 5 yrs later I'm picking up a '90 FZR400RR. Just wondering what sort of performance to expect from the increased cubes? The saki could hit 180k's with no real probs, so I'm wondering what is my new fzr400 going to top out at? Or are they limited? Also I naturally assume it will accel. at a faster rate....
Just a newbie looking to learn... Cheers guys & gals.

James Deuce
3rd March 2004, 09:23
Good on yer!

I reckon it should hit 200 no probs. If it tops out at 180 it's limited, but you'd still go to jail, lose your license and get your bike confiscated if you got pinged at 180 :)

I think you'll find that it stops, goes, and turns a great deal better then the GPX too, as the FZR will have better suspension bits and brakes, as well as more cubes.

Have fun and keep the shiney side up!

MikeL
3rd March 2004, 09:32
If it's a used import from the Jap domestic market and the speedo doesn't show more than 180 it's probably limited, unless a previous owner has derestricted it. I only know one way to be sure...

White trash
3rd March 2004, 09:37
WELCOME!!!

Both to KB and back to riding. You're going to have a blast.

Theres heaps of good advice to be had from the friendly folks here at KB so you'll do well.

Jackrat
3rd March 2004, 09:50
Hey Dude,Welcome back to bikin'.
The big diffrence with your new bike will be how it delivers the power compaired to the 250.Better and stronger responce.
Yeeeeeehaaaa :2thumbsup

aff-man
3rd March 2004, 10:08
Well the zxr 250m says it goes to 180 with a line for like 190 that it isn't supposed to reach. I got it to go to about 193 so i'm sure the 400 should break 200 easily depending on sprocket set up. Welcome and i am sure there will be a few guys here with suggestions as to where you can test the bikes capabilities. I recomend miranda straights on a calm day :devil2: :not:

riffer
3rd March 2004, 10:23
If it's a used import from the Jap domestic market and the speedo doesn't show more than 180 it's probably limited, unless a previous owner has derestricted it. I only know one way to be sure...
Dunno about that Mike. I've got the 180k speedo on my bike. Yes, its restricted as its Jap domestic model, to 73kw (100hp) instead of 100kw like the American model, but I can attest to the fact that it easily blitzes 180km/h. You can just about do that in 3rd gear.

I'm sure the 400 would do about 205-210.

slob
3rd March 2004, 11:00
Great to see another proud FZR400 owner! Most 400s out here are restricted to 180kmph and require a bit of fiddling with the speedo or a "max box" to let them go beyond. They're supposed to be capable of 210-220kmph. Mind you, the stock gearing seems to be a bit lower than other 400s. The speed restriction's really only an issue at the track, so if you're planning on doing some track days then you should explore derestricting it. Overall, I've found the FZR400 to be a pretty decent bike, with slightly better midrange than other 400s thanks to its EXUP system. Dunno if the top end has been compromised by this - Motoracer on his race ZXR400SP did pass me on the straight at Puke - but his bike's derestricted, has a race can, higher gearing and he's a faster rider than be (at the mo'), so I'm not sure..

riffer
3rd March 2004, 13:38
Most 400s out here are restricted to 180kmph...
Looks like I stand corrected. Sorry about that. But hey - good choice of bike. Love those FZR's! :Punk:

fzr400rr
4th March 2004, 10:10
Cheers guys - Thanks for the info... I take delivery on Saturday morning, have to ride it over Taupo-Napier road to get it home :Punk:
I'll let you know how the first :scooter: goes.....

James Deuce
4th March 2004, 10:13
Cheers guys - Thanks for the info... I take delivery on Saturday morning, have to ride it over Taupo-Napier road to get it home :Punk:
I'll let you know how the first :scooter: goes.....

Oh no! What a drag. What a terrible shame to have to lug it over the Napier-Taupo. (Laying sarcasm on with a trowel for those who missed it.)

Looking forward to your write up!

fzr400rr
8th March 2004, 14:54
OK - like I said, I'd let you guys know how the ride back went. I had a day in Akland to get used to it before the ride home. Going Akland via Matamata to Tirau was ok, plenty of traffic to mow past, not a cop in sight so all good.
I passed a guy on a GSX600 (he was cruising) a bit before Taupo which was good, as I run out of gas between Wairaki and Taupo - he towed me to the top of the hill, so i could roll down to the servo. I have to figure out the reserve tank thing on my bike!!! So a big Thanks and a THUMBS UP to whoever he was!!!
Taupo to Napier, intersection to intersection was a 65min affair. It was right on sunset as I left the planes, so that sucked, and misty / foggy on the last climb before dropping down through Te Pohue. The bike is mint to ride- after 5yrs off, it feels like an extension off me, but of course my handling skills will take a long time to pick back up.... :)