PDA

View Full Version : Boulevard, Bomb or Beaut?

scumdog
5th December 2005, 23:33
Mate (yes I do have some -ok, one) is thinking of buying new Boulevard S40 650cc, anybody on KB got one or can tell me about them - pros and cons?

The guy thinking of buying one is about 5'5" and about 74kg so he's not too big for it, that's for real!!

He intends to use it daily and for local rides as opposed to big tours.

Comments??

The_Dover
5th December 2005, 23:58
Fuck that, it's a horrible piece of shit.

Tell him to stretch to an M50, even his dwarf ass can reach the ground and he wont look like a total fagnuts. Even in the deep south with you red neck pig fuckers. (And pigs, not forgetting our mate SD!!)

Don't do it. Sell your ass and get a decent ride!!

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 06:45
guy here parks one around the corner every day.

He's chuffed with it but yeah, I'd push for the slightly bigger one.

Lou Girardin
6th December 2005, 07:20
Mate (yes I do have some -ok, one) is thinking of buying new Boulevard S40 650cc, anybody on KB got one or can tell me about them - pros and cons?

The guy thinking of buying one is about 5'5" and about 74kg so he's not too big for it, that's for real!!

Comments??

A 'friend' huh?
What's happened? The Sporty shat itself hauling the increased girth of your arse around since the US trip?

Cookie
6th December 2005, 07:29
Powersportsnetwork have three owner-reviews here if you have not seen them already: http://tinyurl.com/a74q3

They seem happy enough with them (with some reservations).

I have heard the bars on the M50 are a long reach for some people.

Personally I would go along with The_Dover in terms of taste (although I could never put it as eloquently as him).

I would like an M50 when I get my full licence - any colour as long as it's BLACK. :yes:

The_Dover
6th December 2005, 07:32
I dunno, Maurice reckons the blue is pretty darn sexy.....depending on your target market.

magicfairy
6th December 2005, 07:41
I have one. (S40 - formally Savage)
Owned if for about 3 months. I am only 5ft tall, short legs and it is one of the few bikes I can get my feet down properly on. I rode scooters for years, so this really is my first "real bike". I tried a taller bike that I tippy toed, but I dropped it a few times, getting caught out on low ground, driveways and my confidence was shattered. I was on the verge of going back to a scooter till I was talked into the S40
I LOVE IT, use it to commute every day and the odd weekend ride. Hoping to extend that more as my confidence grows.

Light enough for a midget like me to throw around, very reliable. And quite frankly I don't care what people think about its looks, it was the right bike for me! From the moment I jumped on it I felt at home, really easy to ride.
Also very easy to work on and maintain. And very economical on gas.

I have fitted a ventura pack frame for carting stuff to work.

I imagine I will outgrow it and go to something with more power eventually but for now it was the right size at the right price. The 800 cc models were another $6000 new.

Faults - backfires horribly and front brakes squeak. The backfire can be gotten rid of by playing with a white spacer in the carb. (apparently, I just live with it for now)
All details on http://www.suzukisavage.com
Also no trip meter, fuel light or petrol guage. (What were they thinking) But I got round that by using a 4 digit luggage lock (another idea I picked up from the suzukisavage site) glued to the brake cylinder, just wind in the K's when I fill up each time. Petrol tank is very small, haven't run out yet but reckon I'd go 180-200ks on a tank.

And yes I do know how powerful bigger bikes are - my partner has a hayabusa that I do a lot of pillioning - including camping trips all round North and South Island. But I ride like a Nana and the S40 suits me and my pocket just fine :yes:

White trash
6th December 2005, 07:51
I have one. (S40 - formally Savage)
Owned if for about 3 months. I am only 5ft tall, .....blah blah blah.....................
And yes I do know how powerful bigger bikes are - my partner has a hayabusa that I do a lot of pillioning - including camping trips all round North and South Island. But I ride like a Nana and the S40 suits me and my pocket just fine :yes:

You bought a Savage! I'm fucken dis custard!

Nah good on ya girl, suits ya down to the ground. Might see ya at Wangas?

zadok
6th December 2005, 08:04
I know someone with an M50 and it looks very nice. I reckon a wait for the new Kawasaki VN900 would be better but. It will be better equipt; discs all round, fuel injection, belt drive.

Virago
6th December 2005, 08:22
Talked to a guy with one at the toy run at the weekend. He seemed very happy with it. They are "cheap and cheerful" bikes, light and very low.

Being a single banger, it still had a that "big sewing machine" sound.

For most people, money is the biggest contributing decision factor. But if your mate can afford it he should definately be able to handle something a bit bigger.

(I'm shorter than him!)

Vagabond
6th December 2005, 08:34

Comments??
Tell him to go for the S83 plenty power and easy to ride, I have one and only weigh 68kg and am around 1.68m tall:rockon:

White trash
6th December 2005, 08:34
Mate of my dads in Dunedin spent ages and a little bit of mony building a "Mildly annoyed" (I mean Savage? Come on!) into a chopper. It was a pretty cool looking bike untill he painted pink lace work onto the tank and called it "Sweet Rose", about then I lost my lunch.

Devil
6th December 2005, 08:48
Had an M50 for a loan bike for a day. I thought it was a pretty neat bike. Not enough grunt for me, but I can see the appeal. Good looker too.

cousa1
6th December 2005, 10:30
I take it your mate is not interested in a Harley? The sportster 883 low has the same seat height as the S40.

scumdog
6th December 2005, 10:38
A 'friend' huh?
What's happened? The Sporty shat itself hauling the increased girth of your arse around since the US trip?

Oooh! you can be SUCH an unfeeling bitch Lou!! :eyepoke: :lol: :killingme

NO, it is not moi, it is another person, I am a foot taller and about 18 kg heavier!!

But you are right, my ass (will waist) increased in size as a result of 5 weeks lolly-gagging around the US of A and eating rich tucker and not exercising.:doh:

Now undergoing remedial 'torture' with running and mountain-biking:2thumbsup

scumdog
6th December 2005, 10:49
Thanks for the replies guy, I'll pass it on.
The guy in question has 'monetary constraints' (don't we all) so may not be able to spring the dosh for a bigger ride.

He rides a Kwaka 500 at present (fairings etc, sprots-bike look) and hopes he can afford the 'zuki IF he gets a good trade-in price at M&V in Dunners.

I saw the advertising pamphlet, the Boulevard looks kinda o.k., I'm a fan of narrow T-bat type handle-bars like are fitted to it, seem to only come in black colour, maybe like the 'mildly annoyed' version seemed to only come in candy red..

Rashika
6th December 2005, 12:01
Now undergoing remedial 'torture' with running and mountain-biking:2thumbsup
OMG you MOUNTAINBIKE????????
that is SUCH a scary thought :lol:

scumdog
6th December 2005, 12:04
OMG you MOUNTAINBIKE????????
that is SUCH a scary thought :lol:

No, no, it's not that bad, I don't wear my mask!! (probably more scary without I hear you think!):nya:

Rashika
6th December 2005, 14:14
No, no, it's not that bad, I don't wear my mask!! (probably more scary without I hear you think!):nya:
noooooooo would I say that? :innocent:

Virago
6th December 2005, 18:48
..........I saw the advertising pamphlet, the Boulevard looks kinda o.k., I'm a fan of narrow T-bat type handle-bars like are fitted to it.........
I tried out the Boulevard S83, which had the narrow flat bars, and it was bloody awful. The narrow bar places the mirrors too close together, and all you can see is your own shoulders - absolutely no way of seeing what's behind you on a straight road!

The narrow bar also magnified the "floppy" steering on the S83, but this wouldn't be an issue for the S40 (not the same excessive fork rake).

Vagabond
6th December 2005, 20:52
I tried out the Boulevard S83, which had the narrow flat bars, and it was bloody awful. The narrow bar places the mirrors too close together, and all you can see is your own shoulders - absolutely no way of seeing what's behind you on a straight road!

The narrow bar also magnified the "floppy" steering on the S83, but this wouldn't be an issue for the S40 (not the same excessive fork rake).
If you can't see behind, you must be a little bigger in gith than me :banana:
and as for a sloppy steering thats something you live with for that style motorcycle. It actually helps to throw it into corners :killingme

Virago
6th December 2005, 21:51
If you can't see behind, you must be a little bigger in gith than me...........
Okay, I'm a chubby little bugger...... Happy now?:corn:

Waylander
6th December 2005, 21:56
Had the same prob with the S83 mirrors. The M50 was nice though. Good ride but hurts the back after a while. Haven't taken the S40 out yet.