PDA

View Full Version : Screen or not?

Highlander
6th December 2005, 01:24
I am thinking seroiusly about a small screen for the CB. something along the lines of the Givi A210 (http://www.givi.it/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=106&lang=en)

Really just looking to divert some of the wind flow without losing the naked nature of the bike.
Keen to hear from anyone having already gone dwn that road, would you do it again or what would you do different...

Does any one know if honda do an after market version?

skidz
6th December 2005, 04:22
Nah, you don't want a screen on your CB. They look good without, so why change a good thing. I may just be anti screens, as when I purchased the Roadking, the first thing to come off was the screen. It hangs in the shed and will do until I get rid of it. True naked is the only way to go!

skelstar
6th December 2005, 07:13
Screens are tricky with me. Its a struggle to find one that looks good.

Dont know what your bike looks like but Jim2 recently put a Givi (different one) on his CB400...checkout the 'bikes to sell' section (name escapes)....there will be a piccie there.

MikeL
6th December 2005, 07:46
I have two naked bikes, one with a screen and one without. Although the screen does detract a bit from the looks of the XJR, the advantages outweigh this. On the CB-1 which doesn't have the screen once you get up to 160 or so you are hanging on grimly and fighting the wind - it becomes quite uncomfortable. The screen on the XJR makes a big difference. I had a similar one on my GSX1200. I took it off when I did a track day at Pukekohe and noticed the difference immediately - couldn't get much above 180.
The only thing with the screen, both on the GSX and the XJR, is that at slower speeds you get some buffetting, particularly noticeable at 90 - 110. Above that though it is much smoother with the screen.

Hitcher
6th December 2005, 07:54
There is no such thing as a perfect screen. You will have to experiment to a greater or lesser extent. Find a supplier who will order stuff in and let you experiment with styles and settings.

It makes a big difference riding a naked bike when you've got a screen to keep the wind off your chest. Way less tiring on long rides and significantly warmer in winter. However a trade-off may be increased helmet noise, wind buffet, and water running down your neck...

heavenly.talker
6th December 2005, 07:58
However a trade-off may be increased helmet noise, wind buffet, and water running down your neck...

I'm thinking of putting a screen on my bike before I go to the South Island
Could you let me know a little more about the negative effects please...
I don't understand why this would happen?

cheers
Kim

zadok
6th December 2005, 08:00
If it will look alright, go for it Johno. I have vowed not to have another bike without at least a bikini fairing. The toll the wind was taking on my body, was too much for my liking. Hopefully there will be someone with a CB that can recommend an aftermarket one. Good luck.

Hitcher
6th December 2005, 08:25
I'm thinking of putting a screen on my bike before I go to the South Island
Could you let me know a little more about the negative effects please...
I don't understand why this would happen?
A screen changes the aerodynamics on your bike. A screen cuts a swathe through the windflow and disperses the rushing air in directions that differ from screen to screen, and also how a screen is set up. One negative effect can be that your helmet/head has a greater amount of air blasting past. This is what contributes to buffet and noise. A screen can also change the wind flow past your helmet and body, causing turbulence behind the rider that makes water run down your neck. A poorly set screen can also make life very miserable indeed for a pillion. Screens can also act as a sail or wing, fundamentally altering how your bike behaves in certain cross winds.

James Deuce
6th December 2005, 08:28
I've got mine set so my head is still in the airflow, but the air departing the top of the screen passes over the tops of shoulders. It's only little, but it dows a great job of keeping me dry.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21150&d=1133506700

heavenly.talker
6th December 2005, 08:40
A screen changes the aerodynamics on your bike. A screen cuts a swathe through the windflow and disperses the rushing air in directions that differ from screen to screen, and also how a screen is set up. One negative effect can be that your helmet/head has a greater amount of air blasting past. This is what contributes to buffet and noise. A screen can also change the wind flow past your helmet and body, causing turbulence behind the rider that makes water run down your neck. A poorly set screen can also make life very miserable indeed for a pillion. Screens can also act as a sail or wing, fundamentally altering how your bike behaves in certain cross winds.

Thanks for the heads up:2thumbsup
Is it best to get them professionally fitted then?

Hitcher
6th December 2005, 12:31
Is it best to get them professionally fitted then?
Depends on how complex the fitting is. Whether you do or don't, you will inevitably have to fanny around with the screen to optimise its performance.

heavenly.talker
6th December 2005, 16:23
Depends on how complex the fitting is. Whether you do or don't, you will inevitably have to fanny around with the screen to optimise its performance.

Good thing to know...thanks!:yes:

Highlander
6th December 2005, 19:44
I've got mine set so my head is still in the airflow, but the air departing the top of the screen passes over the tops of shoulders. It's only little, but it dows a great job of keeping me dry.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21150&d=1133506700

What model Airstar is that you've used? How do you find it has effected windage noise?

FROSTY
6th December 2005, 20:12
Ive fitted a few handlebar fairings--they always make life a lot more pleasant over 70km/h

Highlander
6th December 2005, 20:17
It seems I have raised a topic covered before. Found a similar discussion here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=17506

Thanks to those who have repeated the comments they have made before :niceone:

korowetere
6th December 2005, 20:19
I'm a little worried about getting a naked bike without at least the bikini fairing. Although I like the look of the Comet. Perhaps something like this is the answer: http://sportsbikesnz.co.nz/product_info.php/cPath/27_28/products_id/251

Grumpy
6th December 2005, 20:20
I put a Givi on 2 of my last bikes. They do detract a bit from the looks but your first long trip will convince you it was a good move. The Givi's a piece of piss to fit.

Grizz
6th December 2005, 20:22
I had a GIVI screen on a GSX-1200, and it made the bike look ugly. Also the screen caused the wind to buffet my head really bad, it was like the wind was directed off the top of the screen and straight in to my face. Removing the screen caused more wind but it was more evenly distributed, so I put up with it. Personal choice really. The screen will also change the appearance of the bike a lot.