PDA

View Full Version : Importing from Japan

FEINT
6th December 2005, 09:27
I will be in Japan sometime at the start of next year and was thinking of buying a bike then shipping it back to New Zealand. If it is feasible.

Is the procedure for importing a motorbike very different from importing a car? Anybody know the cost of shipping from Japan - NZ?

Anybody ever done this before? Is it even worth doing or is it cheaper / easier to purchase one in NZ?

Thanks for your help.

bugjuice
6th December 2005, 09:31
depends on the bike.
a container load of 250s would have you set up very nicely for a while.
anything bigger than 250s don't seem to have the same margin, so not as worth while. Just my observations anyway.

Wouldn't have thought the import process would have been any different tho. It's still a vehicle

FEINT
6th December 2005, 09:48
Buggy, planning on buying a bike for myself... not buying to sell. hehe.. :2thumbsup :eyepoke:

bugjuice
6th December 2005, 09:51
why not? import one, might aswell import a few..
I stumbled on a site that was selling bikes in Hong Kong, and they were as cheap as, for the wee ones, but the bigger bikes (600+) were only a couple of grand less than what we get them here for, and after shipping, insurance, re-reg etc etc, you wouldn't have saved much..
The 250s, there were decent ones like 5 years old with 5000ks going for NZ$2000.. you'd make a killing on things like that! No wonder the shops are driving the prices up. I had thought about doing it, but you have to have the contacts to do it right, which I don't have, and I'd just be taking on too much

HenryDorsetCase
6th December 2005, 09:53
let me know how you get on, because I really want to bring a bike in ex Japan
but shipping is the killer. Some sort of amortising of the costs might be the go.

I did hear of a guy who was concerned about this so what he did was buy a van and two bikes: strapped the bikes into the van, shipped the lot back. when he got it here he sold the van and one of the bikes and bada boom bada bing got free shipping for his bike. bit of capital required though.

Colapop
6th December 2005, 09:55
I just spoke to TSS here in Wgtn and the guy reckons that if you're bringing in one or two bikes (might talk to you about that) the best bet may be to buy a cheap van and put them in the back he reckons. Get the lot back here and sell the van (even help recover the bike costs).
www.tau-net.jp has some info on shipping costs.

edit - oh ok what he said - HenryDC

FEINT
6th December 2005, 10:02
That is a good idea with the van!! Shipping for vehicles (as in cars) are about $1200NZD.

Anybody know what kind of bikes are allowed to be brought in? eg, cars have the frontal impact standards, any standards for bikes?

Thanks for the info. :niceone:

HenryDorsetCase
6th December 2005, 10:04
what I want doesnt need to be road registered so Ive not looked into it, sorry.

http://www.honda.co.jp/HRC/products/dream50r/

bugjuice
6th December 2005, 10:14
bikes don't have standards ;)
I'll buy the van... or ute

Coyote
6th December 2005, 10:32
what I want doesnt need to be road registered so Ive not looked into it, sorry.

http://www.honda.co.jp/HRC/products/dream50r/
That's an awesome looking bike :2thumbsup How much is it?

And what is the basic cost in total to ship a bike from Japan? Haven't had a straight answer yet. Also how much is it to ship from Christchurch to Wellington?

Brian d marge
6th December 2005, 13:04
How can i help. I am here and play around with bikes and can arrange shipping etc.
While I cant give you specifics here the , shipping will be around 30 to 50 000 per bike
Also the cost of the bike, if bought through auction the Auction house charges 10 000 per sale
Then you have whatever LTSA charges in NZ

Bike prices here are roughly 200cc to 400 cc 100 000 to 300 000
400 to 600 500 000 to 800 000 for new
750 above 600 000 to 1000 000 for new

This is a club it with a big stick rough guide

There is a dealer here who is really quite good, at the end of the day it was easier and just as cheap to let him do all the work buying and shipping ...

Stephen

example (http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/83459793)

this is average ( auction house sometimes is cheaper )

bugjuice
6th December 2005, 13:12
not bad. At the moment, 500,000.00 JPY = 5,764.08 NZD starting bid for a 2000 CBR 929, and the 700,000 price (I assume is buy now or reserve?) is just over NZ$8,000

how long are you there for Brian? With deals like that, you could become quite popular!!

Colapop
6th December 2005, 13:24
currency converter (if you can't be bothered looking for one)
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Brian d marge
6th December 2005, 13:25
I live here, ! came for a year ..and that was 6 years ago ! There are a few doing this importing thing , I would just redirect you to me mate , who really doesnt put much on ! ( I wouldnt know on an individual case , can find out , but the quote he gave me, there was NO point in me trying to do it as it would have cost me more in time and shagging around! )
But yes I often lurk on Yahoo auctions here as well as the local trade me.... The thing is at the mo , there is a big bike group here which, is sort of driving up the prices of bikes, they are a bit over inflated at the mo

There are some bargins around but some people are Shmoking some wicked weed when they post there asking price ,,,... ( good for a laugh though !!!)

Henry , No I havent found a dream 50 yet !! will give you a heads up when one pops up !!!

Stephen

k14
6th December 2005, 13:38
What about late model (as in 2000 or newer) RS125's? Im pretty keen on buying one of those babies within the next few months and importing from japan seems the best option. Do you know if many of them go up for sale at auction?

Colapop
6th December 2005, 13:42
If there are a few of us that want bikes - would it be an idea to pool resources and get them shipped together? It may mean being patient for some and or getting your arse into gear for others...? I'm looking to sell the Savage and get another bike but not 'til the new year.
Just thinks out loud..

Brian d marge
6th December 2005, 13:48
What about late model (as in 2000 or newer) RS125's? Im pretty keen on buying one of those babies within the next few months and importing from japan seems the best option. Do you know if many of them go up for sale at auction?

They do come up, but Ive seen more at the auction rather than on yahoo auctions

Stephen
I can phone around if you want

the first one is from the auction I recognise the background !

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f38183414 http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c103046564

k14
6th December 2005, 14:06
Nah not in teh position to buy one yet but will be in the near future (as I said).

Both of those bikes there were pre 95 models, probably 93 or so. I'm intending on spending around $8k to $9k nzd all up on one. Were they both around 90000 yen? Thats about $1300 nzd or so I think, worth about the same as my current bike.

Colapop
6th December 2005, 14:13
Not wanting to create work for you Stephen! (A few of us... 10, 20, 30 ???)

Postie
6th December 2005, 14:19
i'm keen to bring a bike or 2 from japan, if there's a pool going?

Yokai
6th December 2005, 14:32
Some of us have bikes for which parts are ummm - pricey or rare...

Any chance if we source them that you can bring them in at the same time?

flash
6th December 2005, 14:44
i despiratly need either a rgv250 (91+) or a nsr250 (dont know what year). would want one asap though. how much for a good looking one, or just one that has a good motor but abit scuffed?

Shaun
6th December 2005, 14:51
Call a mr Kenji Senki, Japan area code 3 tel 37090408

This guy speaks good engrish and is very honest

or email bike@euromax.jp

Brian d marge
6th December 2005, 15:13
i despiratly need either a rgv250 (91+) or a nsr250 (dont know what year). would want one asap though. how much for a good looking one, or just one that has a good motor but abit scuffed?

Anywhere from 50 to 300 000 yen for a repsol

though cheapies (http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b62597373) pop up

Stephen

Colapop
6th December 2005, 15:31
And you can actually read all that scribble!?

FEINT
6th December 2005, 15:36
Stephen san - ありがとうございます。

What are the dealers there like? Would you know the process of de-registration?

Looks like a few of you here are quite keen on getting some bikes from Japan. I guess purchasing then shipping together would save the hassle of paperwork etc.

I wouldn't mind buying from Japan if the cost savings is significant. Looks like the import process will be very similar to cars (which is good).

Anybody know any agents in Japan that are willing to bid at the auction and de-register then ship off to NZ?

Brian d marge
6th December 2005, 15:39
Call a mr Kenji Senki, Japan area code 3 tel 37090408

This guy speaks good engrish and is very honest

or email bike@euromax.jp

Hes just around the corner from me , so to speak I am in saitama Fujimino !!!

Anyway I am talking to the people I know to find out what can be done when and how !
Getting the bikes is not a prob , as is the importing so ill see what comes up and report back

Stephen
your intrepid reporter of all things fishy !!!

Colapop
6th December 2005, 15:43
If there are enough they could go in a 20' container perhaps? Then unloaded at the port (probably Dorkland) where the most bikes are going?

flash
6th December 2005, 15:50
are there any translators that can make the site english????
what type of rgv/nsrs are there for $3500 including everything to get into the country?, how mch would t be to get into the country anways?, ild want it on the road so how hard woud that be?

FEINT
6th December 2005, 16:02
Based on cars:

Compliance $350
MAF $45
Shipping around $1100
GST 12.5% of the japan purchase price and cost of shipping
Agent fees in Japan $800 (approx, varies)

so in total you are looking at $3645 (based on a $10,000NZD bike)

This is in addition to the bike price in Japan.

Grizz
6th December 2005, 16:04
Either make sure that the bike has been speed derestricted, or accept the fact that it might be restricted.

Mine is a Jap import that has been restricted :doh:

flash
6th December 2005, 16:11
well im probaly out if it costs that much to get it here, all i want is a twostroke 250 for around $3000

Brian d marge
6th December 2005, 16:32
well im probaly out if it costs that much to get it here, all i want is a twostroke 250 for around $3000

This is what you would be looking at TZ are cheaper , but you really must be specific as to model . condition , price
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n30894192

this would be around 3300 NZ landed Very approx figure !
kind regards
Stephen

flash
6th December 2005, 16:40
This is what you would be looking at TZ are cheaper , but you really must be specific as to model . condition , price
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n30894192

this would be around 3300 NZ landed Very approx figure !
kind regards
Stephen

i put the site through a translator, and it has a lot of things wrong with it doesn't it?.

my dream buy would be a 91+ Suzuki rgv250 VJ22, but a Honda nsr the same vintage would be great also.
how much is 100,000 yen in NZ dollars?

i want it to cost no more than mabye $3500 to be able to ride it in newzealand

Coyote
6th December 2005, 16:52
Based on cars:

Compliance $350
MAF $45
Shipping around $1100
GST 12.5% of the japan purchase price and cost of shipping
Agent fees in Japan $800 (approx, varies)

so in total you are looking at $3645 (based on a $10,000NZD bike)

This is in addition to the bike price in Japan.
So a bike thast 2000NZD will end up costing 4545NZD and a 1000NZD bike would be 3183.33NZD, not too bad. Got some saving up to do then

Colapop
6th December 2005, 17:01
Those costs would be lessened if a few of us got together and brought in a container? Anyone know container costs? Yeah, I accept that there'll be logistics issues but maybe an option? Especially if there are say 10 bikes?

Racey Rider
6th December 2005, 17:27
Owww! Owww!
And don't forget a KR150 motor placed on the passengers seat of said van! :spudbooge

Or even just a Barrel stuffed in the glove box!!

gav
6th December 2005, 17:43
Seriously though, some of those bikes pictured are bloody old shitters!! Why waste your money on that stuff? Have a talk to some of the importers, and order what you want, someone like Peter Doak from www.emoto.co.nz is probably worth talking to. The Yahoo auctions do contain alot of rubbish that guys cant sell elsewhere, some of the stuff landed ex Japanese dealers is bound to be better value and better looked after.

HenryDorsetCase
6th December 2005, 18:12
I talked with Peter and he had a Dream 50 (looked mint) lined up for me prtty quick. At that time I had a bike to sell, so couldnt move on it. My supplemental plan is to deal with him when I am cashed up ready to rock and roll.

But I want to go to Japan and see my favourite band, Guitar Wolf.

they rule!

zooter
6th December 2005, 19:41
I will be in Japan sometime at the start of next year and was thinking of buying a bike then shipping it back to New Zealand. If it is feasible.

Is the procedure for importing a motorbike very different from importing a car? Anybody know the cost of shipping from Japan - NZ?

Anybody ever done this before? Is it even worth doing or is it cheaper / easier to purchase one in NZ?

Thanks for your help.
If you're going to Japan, buy a truck and take orders to ship a bunch of bikes on the back. Only pay for shipping the truck!

Suney
6th December 2005, 20:03
Hey I was just wondering
Is it true that there aren't many 600cc bikes in Japan because of regulations so many are 250 and 750 and 1000cc?

raster
6th December 2005, 20:07
I fink I'm learning Japanese
I fink I'm learning Japanese
I really fink so

:doh: Wheres that translator.

raster
6th December 2005, 20:21
How can you tell what year these bikes are.

:slap:

Sketchy_Racer
6th December 2005, 20:49
if these do go ahead and some bikes are brought in i will be keen to buy one aswell .....

Zapf
6th December 2005, 22:54
Ermm yea... watch out... big bikes are power restricted in Japan.... make sure you know what you are buying...

any chance of importing me a car while you are at it :D

Brian d marge
7th December 2005, 00:10
Hey I was just wondering
Is it true that there aren't many 600cc bikes in Japan because of regulations so many are 250 and 750 and 1000cc?

The licence system here is up to 400 and over 400 , They haver just allowed 2 up riding on the high way

Most of the 600 cc machines are exported , THOUGH there is a very BIG
ST600 racing class here so you will see a few CBR600 race bike for sale

Stephen

Brian d marge
7th December 2005, 02:30
Seriously though, some of those bikes pictured are bloody old shitters!! Why waste your money on that stuff? Have a talk to some of the importers, and order what you want, someone like Peter Doak from www.emoto.co.nz (http://www.emoto.co.nz) is probably worth talking to. The Yahoo auctions do contain alot of rubbish that guys cant sell elsewhere, some of the stuff landed ex Japanese dealers is bound to be better value and better looked after.
I would agree with that, ( this is my second attempt the last attempt at this mail disappeared into the ether !) Just read his site and its exactly what happens, except the auctions are now all week !, I note he is in CHCH , didnt he used to be partners at CHCH motorcycles??
anyway worth a read that site !!!
Yahoo Auctions ,
Same as trade me.. everyones at and there are some crooks out there THOUGH the japanese are very protective about the bling, I ve seen only couple with a bad feedback, you can tell if its a dodgy deal you build a dialogue with the seller!
Same as trade me ( though the KM tend to be a lot lower, around 10 k to 20 k depending ( and yes some have be clocked , dodgy dealers !!!)

The things I can see which would cause a problem are

Chocolate pistons ; lets say I bought a bike and sent it back in good faith and the guy at the other end isnt happy. I checked the bike but failed to notice the chocolate piston, which melted 10 k down the road..... who does he claim against ???

Money
Lets say I am a dirty rotten scounderel and take 20 x 500 deposits then scarper !.... take that naughty bad man :bash: Option one

IMHO
As Gav said, possibly the most reliable way is to talk to the importers , Spectrum, peter doak , etc
They will ask you for your budget, and expectations then go from there, you will get a lot of attension if you buy a HArley, but dont expect wonders for a well thrashed honda fifty.
OR contact a truck importing firm and ask if you could bring back a couple of bikes in their dead space, there a couple , one I know of in CHCH.
Then you could buy the bike say over yahoo auctions , get it shipped to the truck impoters jap place and go from there !

Or
If you are worried about the mechanical side Places like Colmans, Sarge was very up front with his costs clic here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=382400#post382400)

Then you will get a warrenty etc and you can shout if it turns to custard !!

PARTS

If you know the frame number, not a problem . It takes 5 days from NZ to Japan ( tested by a fellow KB er )
But Make sure the bike is available in Japan , I tried to find bits for Zadoks GTR1000 and it wasnt listed on the kawasaki site, Havent given up ,,,but ,

Small parts I can certainly help such as sprockets , gas caps , shocks etc

The Future

I have been a onda mech for a good few years now then did me NZCE in Mech eng , and wasa mech for a couple of years when I first came here
BUT ,,,I discovered MX :doh: and I can make more money talking than fixing,
So in the morning I play around with me race bike,,, designing and make things for bikes ( money out :doh:) and talk ( and play with kids ( money in :2thumbsup) in the evenings ( wife happy )

Sometime in the beginning of next year I will have a workshop set up ( you want to see the prices of rent here !!!) and will be concentrating on
A becoming self sufficient in my racing ,
B Building a inventory of Shocks and forks , ( so if you see a few shocks on trade me next year , tis me funding my habit !!! :spudwave:

Well now that I have bored every one silly, I will eat me tea!!

feel free to email, its no prob to answer any questions

Stephen

Highlander
7th December 2005, 02:52

Hey there TYO (haven't changed that name yet then?)
My Bro' in law has a NSR (in Tauranga) that he muttered about selling. Don't know how serious he is, or any other detail but could sound him out for you if like.

Shaun
7th December 2005, 07:14
Hes just around the corner from me , so to speak I am in saitama Fujimino !!!

Anyway I am talking to the people I know to find out what can be done when and how !
Getting the bikes is not a prob , as is the importing so ill see what comes up and report back

Stephen
your intrepid reporter of all things fishy !!!

Kenji is a top man, he is a full time professional trader