PDA

View Full Version : 2005 GSX-R 750, a noobs review.

Devil
6th December 2005, 13:36
Note: What you're about to read is coming from someone that has bugger all experience with proper sports bikes.

Part 1:

Well, that gorgeous Triumph of mine is err leaking oil as Triumphs are wont to do... (rocker cover gasket needs replacing)...So I asked very nicely for a loan bike for the day while my bike is sorted. Gee whizz all the loaners had gone, so how about the demo GSX-R750 20th Anniversary edition? Complete with Suzuki paintjob. It seems they aimed for retro and managed to hit rancid instead (Blue seats? What were they thinking???). How could I refuse.

First observations after hopping on: My dick is bigger than this whole bike. It makes an '05 R1 feel like an aircraft carrier as far as length goes (im talking about the gixxer :P)! Seems to have a pretty low seat height, not too uncomfortable either, definately sat on worse.

On starting the bike there was quite a lovely bark from the exhaust/engine, which settled quickly to an almost inaudible whirr. Very quiet at idle! Into gear (CLUNK! - seems this demo model has had a hard life, with the clutch been almost at the end of its adjustment), and putter off into the traffic. The first thing I noticed here was the bottom end...or the complete lack of under 5000rpm. It didnt make it awkward, but for someone like me it'd be a pain in the ass probably considering how I like to burble around town. It shall be forgiven, it seems it's not made for burbling! Cruising through the traffic waiting for it to warm up, it feels very friendly to ride at low revs, with higher gearing than i'm used to. Finally, we're up to temperature! Prepare for warp factor 7 and we hit traffic. Bugger. After cruising to work barely making it out of second gear, I parked the bike, resigned to the fact i'd have to take it out later. Poor me.

Lunchtime comes and I find an excuse to head over to the missus'sess'ss work. Onto the motorway, give it a squirt in second gear to redline on the onramp...ooo! this thing boogies! Lovely induction roar. I far prefer a good engine noise to a good exhaust noise on a 4cyl. I'd give the suzi a 4/5 for this, but I'd still take the triumph ;). Had fun on the motorway briefly, but unfortunately back into traffic, ad nauseum. Get back to the office with a grin and park up, knowing i'll have to take it back at the end of the day when the service department calls!

Devil
6th December 2005, 13:38
Part 2: The call

Well, gosh darn it. I've just had a call from the service department. It seems I wont be able to pick up my bike tonight, they haven't been able to get to it, I'll just have to keep my loaner overnight. OH WOE IS ME. :banana:

I think there may just be a visit up 16 tonight towards Kaukop to see what this thing does on the corners!

...to be continued.

DemonWolf
6th December 2005, 13:44
have a good trip =)

vifferman
6th December 2005, 13:48
They're a good shop for loaner bikes, that M/C shop you haven't mentioned. They treat their customers alright. :niceone:

skelstar
6th December 2005, 13:53
For a scary moment I thought you were abandoning all things triumph. Phew. Good review so far.

sAsLEX
6th December 2005, 14:03
They're a good shop for loaner bikes, that M/C shop you haven't mentioned. They treat their customers alright. :niceone:

is that the one just up from your "favourite" one?

Devil
6th December 2005, 14:06
I have had nothing but excellent service and a range of tempting loaners from... da dah daaaaa! Holeshot.

WRT
6th December 2005, 14:10
Good luck for the ride tonight, not liking the look of those black clouds myself.

sAsLEX
6th December 2005, 14:14
Good luck for the ride tonight, not liking the look of those black clouds myself.

Neither, nor the fact it just started raining here and I rode down to work after dropping the car in at the shop in whites without my jacket, what a silly time to be a a squid!

Devil
6th December 2005, 14:14
Ahhh bugger. Forgot about those things. The forecast certainly looks arse!

Devil
6th December 2005, 14:44
Sodding weather!
Well, I guess we might just get a report on how it handles torrential rain!

Devil
7th December 2005, 07:56
Part 3: The open road

Now this will be written in brief points, I R supposed to be working!

* Thats not a seat, thats a torture device!

* oooOOOOooo this puppy has some brakes. Good feel.

* Its ugly!

* Seems to eat up the corners, found myself going about 10km/h faster through the corners without even realising it, and not hanging off the bike either!

* Suspension was ok, a lot stiffer than I'm used to, but that's to be expected. Found it a little juddery on some bumpy bits of road.

* Digital speedo is better than the triumphs! Bugger! Less lag.

* I still think its ugly.

Now into reasons why I dont think I could live with one (this would probably apply to te 600cc too.):
The bottom end doesn't exist.
The midrange I felt was a little weak, thats where I ride a bike 95% of the time and also why I enjoyed the SV1000 and the main reason why I bought the Triumph.
Its ugly.
The seat, but that could be fixed I guess.
I asked the missus if she'd like to come for a ride as pillion. She just said "no". Thats probably more to do with being seen on a GSX-R though.
A visit to the parents house resulted in the the following:
Mum said its ugly (haa haa!).
Dad says its neat (Haven't figured out if thats a good thing).

So, the result. Feels like a neat bike, tons of guts without being overwhelming (well, I still didn't summon up the courage to give it a handful in first!). Looks better in the Yellow/Black scheme I thinks.
Awesome bike for someone who wants a sprots bike praked in their gargre.

NhuanH
7th December 2005, 08:13
The midrange I felt was a little weak
You should share your thoughts with Zapf. He got the 750 after finding a lack of mid-range in the 2005 636. What would you think of my 636 then? I feel so inadequate :weep:

Although it appears Zapf prefers his CB900 these days. Hey Felix, wanna sell your GSXR?

And, oh yeh, Devil, you're a bassa for having that boik for a day and night.

Devil
7th December 2005, 08:21
Heh, well actually, I think I'm going to revise that midrange comment.
Maybe I needed more time with the bike. I think I might have been caught out by the higher gearing, and finding myself going by engine noise and not the tacho. I was squirting round with the bike growling and looking down to find I was only using 6-8000rpm (redline 14). In that rev range the Triumph is right on song doing what it does best.

Devil
7th December 2005, 09:32
I've just picked up my Triumph. It feels like an armchair in comparision, thats not counting the faster steering, better clutch, and gorgeous triumph sound :D
I wubs my Trumpy.
:spudbooge