PDA

View Full Version : Savage restoration

Colapop
6th December 2005, 13:44
I'm not looking to totally refurbish my old Savage LS650 ('89) but I would like to get it tidied up a bit so I can sell it and get something a little younger (and a couple more bucks). Whaddaya reckon, just chuck it at Tardme (or some other site?) and see what it gets? Or do these things, listed below, and see how much it'll change the price?

Things I need/want to do to the Savage;
Engine - Probably needs a tune and I'm guessing a new head gasket (a little smoky around exhaust outlet)
Chromework - is generally a little pitted except for the header pipe which is rusty.
Panels, mudguards, battery covers, tank - slight scratches general wear and tear.
Frame - no major rust probably just needs a clean.
Wheels - need a clean (paint?)
Aluminium - needs to be polished (blotchy)

I don't want to, or have the resources to, take it to a mechanic. I figure that most of these things I can sort myself I just need a bit of advice on how to go about doing them. I have some tools and garage space, a fairly solid mechanical knowledge, a Savage manual and the will to do the job.

jrandom
6th December 2005, 14:03
Rule of thumb when prepping vehicles for private sale: anything that costs more than your own time (assuming you don't mind putting that in) is not worth doing. Just take what you can get and move on.

If you can make it look significantly better after an afternoon with degreaser and a wire brush, go for it.

Rathelm
9th December 2005, 11:23
Hey,

I'm in the market for one of these!

Could save you a bit of hassle and expense.:2thumbsup

Cheers

degrom
8th January 2007, 09:00
How mush did you get for the LS?

Colapop
8th January 2007, 09:32
Enough. They can be bought at a relatively good price and refurbished quite nicely - most refurbished ones sell for around the $3.5k - $5k mark.

Bonez
13th January 2007, 17:54
Stil available new too as the suzuki s40 Boulivard.

degrom
13th January 2007, 18:11
Stil available new too as the suzuki s40 Boulivard.

Isn't that the 400cc? I think the 650 is called a S60,right?

Colapop
13th January 2007, 18:17
As far as I know. Get into WMCC, Pete should have a couple on the floor (for sale).
Buckets and Bits had a 2002 donk for sale but I dunno if he's still got anything or not. Last I heard he was going out of business... F*ck he was never easy to deal with anyway...

gijoe1313
13th January 2007, 19:26
As far as I know. Get into WMCC, Pete should have a couple on the floor (for sale).
Buckets and Bits had a 2002 donk for sale but I dunno if he's still got anything or not. Last I heard he was going out of business... F*ck he was never easy to deal with anyway...

And you're saying you are easy to deal with as well? ... :whistle: :devil2:

Bonez
13th January 2007, 19:49
Isn't that the 400cc? I think the 650 is called a S60,right?Nope the 40 stands for Cubic inch-650ccs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Boulevard_S40

degrom
13th January 2007, 19:51
Nope the 40 stands for Cubic inch-650ccs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Boulevard_S40

You see... Now I have learned something!!! :second:

Dodgyiti
13th January 2007, 20:12
My reneral rules for selling a bike (and being a good person)

1, Make sure it is as safe as it can be
2, Be totally honest about condition and safety, see 1,
3, Not doing the two above usually bites you in the arse later..

The Savage 650 was a great bike, someone will love it to bits.

degrom
13th January 2007, 20:15
My reneral rules for selling a bike (and being a good person)

1, Make sure it is as safe as it can be
2, Be totally honest about condition and safety, see 1,
3, Not doing the two above usually bites you in the arse later..

The Savage 650 was a great bike, someone will love it to bits.

Yes... And make sure there is oil in it... LOL

Colapop
13th January 2007, 20:34
Just to give some info here folks.
The bike in question was sold (some time ago) After I was made an offer (unsolicited). So I told the guy all that I knew of the bike (and he read this thread). He had the bike checked out by someone he said was a qualified BMW/Ducati mechanic. Checked out the history of the type of bike. And he bought the bike. Approximately a month later, while riding the bike, it stopped. He got it into the shop and after they pulled it apart for $300 (so I was told) they told him it needed a new engine (blown big end). They told him it been run without oil...

Now I will not say anyone's name in relation to shop, buyer or mechanic. Nor will I make any comment on the reasons for the bike's demise other than to say that when I had it I did maintain it to the best of my ability at the time. And I did adhere to the three rules mentioned above.

Savage's are great bikes. They're pretty solid, easy to maintain, and can be fun to muck around on.