PDA

View Full Version : Nepotism? What nepotism.

Lou Girardin
6th December 2005, 13:47
A Commission of enquiry has found no evidence of nepotism in Rongo Weteres management of Wanaga O Aoterearoa.
This, despite 17 of his relatives being employess or contractors of the Wananga (I love this name) and one, his daughter, rising from a civil servant earning $30,000 per annum to the head of a company that's earned around $17,000,000 from contracts with the aforementioned Wananga.
This country is not called the "Land of the Long Whitewash" for nothing.

jrandom
6th December 2005, 14:00
Always the shit-stirrer, Lou... one of these days you'll need a new stick. It's getting a bit caked up.

Thing is, if in fact this chap's whanau were qualified for the positions involved, and due process was followed when hiring them, ain't nuffin' no Commission can do to change things.

Has anyone asked if any of these jobs-for-the-cuzzy-bros appointments actually resulted in people who didn't perform?

Lou Girardin
6th December 2005, 14:20
Always the shit-stirrer, Lou... one of these days you'll need a new stick. It's getting a bit caked up.

Thing is, if in fact this chap's whanau were qualified for the positions involved, and due process was followed when hiring them, ain't nuffin' no Commission can do to change things.

Has anyone asked if any of these jobs-for-the-cuzzy-bros appointments actually resulted in people who didn't perform?

That was one of the other findings, there was no 'due process', or many other procedures either.
Performance is difficult to quantify in this case. They did raise the roll from around 1000 students to 60,000. But with allowances for subjects like twilight golf and singing along to the radio on offer, I guess it would not be difficult to perform.

jrandom
6th December 2005, 14:22
That was one of the other findings, there was no 'due process', or many other procedures either.

Really?

Be a good chap and link us to the report, eh?

Lou Girardin
6th December 2005, 14:29
Really?

Be a good chap and link us to the report, eh?

I can't do that from work. That counts as non-business related internet use.
But in an interview this morning, this was one of the few things that Mr Wetere did not deny.

sparrow_34
6th December 2005, 14:46
http://www.oag.govt.nz/2005/twoa/default.htm

jrandom
6th December 2005, 15:10
http://www.oag.govt.nz/2005/twoa/default.htm

Goodness me.

A quick skim through indicates that that Wetere chap treated the Wananga's funds, and in fact the management of the entire thing, as though the entity was his privately owned business. Spending up large on the company card and not accounting for it, flying first class on personal trips on the Wananga's tab, and (yes, indeed) hiring family members without advertising positions first.

There must be a criminal breach in there somewhere. If I were the SFO, I'd be taking a close look at that report.

Wolf
6th December 2005, 15:22
Technically, it's only nepotism if you give lucrative jobs to bastard sons whom you pass off as nephews in order to maintain your plum job as the a rich minister of the church.

Nepotism is the giving of jobs to "nephews" - quote marks entirely intentional...

Lou Girardin
6th December 2005, 15:35
Goodness me.

A quick skim through indicates that that Wetere chap treated the Wananga's funds, and in fact the management of the entire thing, as though the entity was his privately owned business. Spending up large on the company card and not accounting for it, flying first class on personal trips on the Wananga's tab, and (yes, indeed) hiring family members without advertising positions first.

There must be a criminal breach in there somewhere. If I were the SFO, I'd be taking a close look at that report.

Is this the sarcasm that I've come to expect from you?
Or is it an apology?
If so, a new wooden spoon will suffice.

jrandom
6th December 2005, 15:53
Is this the sarcasm that I've come to expect from you?

No no, I'm being quite straight-up this time. I hope that generally speaking, I manage to make my sarcasm a little more obvious. And funny.

Or is it an apology?

For what? You didn't address my points in your initial post, which is why I raised them. Personally, I'd never bother to post summat like that unless I was backing up my points with extracts from, or links to, the report itself. Saves the hassle of people like me calling you on it.

If so, a new wooden spoon will suffice.

No kidding, now, I remember mum and dad having a special stick, the Shit Stirrer (tm) that lived in the wee gap down back of the section between the gargre and the fence, used solely for toilet unblocking. After a few goes, you see, it smelled a bit off. Nobody ever wanted to clean it, either.

kerryg
6th December 2005, 16:01

The people who benefited from Wetere's largesse (with taxpayer money), including his daughter and brother, were not involved in competitive tendering, performance monitoring, auditing etc etc. Things were done without paperwork, without proper checks and balances. Maybe they did an adequate job at a fair price...or maybe they did not, anyway it is irrelevant. Whether others could have done it better or cheaper will never be known because noone was asked. Therein lies the problem. Mr Wetere seems to struggle to grasp that public money and his personal money are not one and the same.

jrandom
6th December 2005, 16:03
Mr Wetere seems to struggle to grasp that public money and his personal money are not one and the same.

Quite; that was the point I made in my latter post after reading some of the report.

Now, I could make a rash generalisation about the apparent Maori disposition to such behaviour, but that would be awfully uncharitable of me, so I won't.

Hitcher
6th December 2005, 16:34
There's times when I fantasise about being a Ford dealer in Te Awamutu...

Big Dave
6th December 2005, 17:43
There's times when I fantasise about being a Ford dealer in Te Awamutu...

Really? - I have more of a Hunter S meets Hugh Heff thing happening with Xena clones.

Skyryder
6th December 2005, 18:02
A Commission of enquiry has found no evidence of nepotism in Rongo Weteres management of Wanaga O Aoterearoa.
This, despite 17 of his relatives being employess or contractors of the Wananga (I love this name) and one, his daughter, rising from a civil servant earning $30,000 per annum to the head of a company that's earned around $17,000,000 from contracts with the aforementioned Wananga.

Just might have something to do with the Government up to its neck with so much shit being thrown at it by Maori; sea bed fore shore etc. that the commission has been nobbled.

Skyryder

rogson
6th December 2005, 18:03
You are all missing the most important point here.
The Wananga went from funding of around $4million in 99/2000 to $200million
last year. F...k not even Microsoft grew income that fast - and they had to sell stuff! Wetere asked for money and the government gave it to him -on what basis? The government took its eye of the ball (or he seduced them) - heads should roll!

Hitcher
6th December 2005, 18:40
Really? - I have more of a Hunter S meets Hugh Heff thing happening with Xena clones.
Oh that your fantasy should be as lucrative as mine...

avgas
6th December 2005, 19:02
Uni of NZ.... what a joke - what uni course does it offer?

Skyryder
6th December 2005, 19:11
You are all missing the most important point here.
The Wananga went from funding of around $4million in 99/2000 to $200million
last year. F...k not even Microsoft grew income that fast - and they had to sell stuff! Wetere asked for money and the government gave it to him -on what basis? The government took its eye of the ball (or he seduced them) - heads should roll!

And if there was a trial all this would come out. So much for the so called Commission of Inquiry.

Skyryder

kerryg
7th December 2005, 09:35

Now, I could make a rash generalisation about the apparent Maori disposition to such behaviour, but that would be awfully uncharitable of me, so I won't.

Well, OK then, I will. It's hard to deny it, however uncomfortable such a generalisation might be for the more liberal-minded among us. I wonder why it is? Is it just naivity? Maybe you can explain away the John Davies debacle at Maori TV, or Tuku's $80 underpants, by dismissing it as naivity or inexperience or whatever, I can almost buy that explanation. But this Wananga debacle is of a different nature and magnitude. $70 million of uncontested contracts issued to Wetere's family. Forgive me but this seems like the cynical exploitation of the Government's carelessness with public money by a few clever Maori.

SPORK
7th December 2005, 09:45
Forgive me but this seems like the cynical exploitation of the Government's carelessness with public money by a few clever Maori.

Now I know you're joking!

They don't exist!

:chase:

oldrider
7th December 2005, 10:30
In a bus shelter at Frankton (Queenstown) there is a graffiti scrawled upon the wall which fascinates me. It says,

Aotearoa, Land of the wrong white crowd. Fuck off!

This statement has a way of endearing me toward Maori that I have never experienced before.

The Maori people that I grew up with never outwardly gave me the impression that they harboured such animosity toward us so why is it so evident in their children today?

I ask myself this question often and I don't particularly care for the answers I am getting back.

Perhaps Maori speak with "False Teeth"! :slap:

Give me back my old friends I miss them greatly.

Disappointed, John.

Motu
7th December 2005, 11:38
The Maori people that I grew up with never outwardly gave me the impression that they harboured such animosity toward us so why is it so evident in their children today?
John.

This hurts me too John,I grew up with Maori friends and relations and only knew a happy people who couldn't do enough to help someone in need.The closest friends I still have today are Maori,our relationship has never changed,we are all still as close as family.I know some of the younger generation got into gangs - but I meet them now in their 20s and 30s and they see me as a sort of uncle they knew as kids,they don't hate me.I now live in a small town surrounded by Maori,the older people I see around my own age seem as friendly as I'd expect....but when the young people look at me I wonder what they are seeing...and it scares me a bit.

Big Dave
7th December 2005, 11:39
Just some dickwit, John.
I think there was a total of 2 white guys in the entire Otara monday night basketball comp just finished. Me and a 6'1" ging-er.
I found it just like your old days.

Big Dave
7th December 2005, 11:42
..but when the young people look at me I wonder what they are seeing...and it scares me a bit.

American rap music syndrome?

ManDownUnder
7th December 2005, 11:58
Commissions of Enquiry only make people look bad... and who would the bad looking people be in the case? Hey look - it's the Aunty Helen club, lead out by the fiscally prudent Helen and Michael with everyone else marching strictly to their fiscally prudent beat.

And what if the Commission of Enquiry found they had NOT been fiscally prudent? That'd be bad wouldn't it!

Gee I wonder if those two thoughts are in any way related?

Sure the Whananga's high and dry now (about as likely to get more money as Dover is full insurance) but their rapid growth to an incredible $200m/year capped off with no-one (read NO-ONE) accountable or accounting for those funds...

WTF?

Nah - call in the Commission of Enquiry, have the appropriate heads roll and if we end up with a government that has no balls... well... what will have really changed?
MDU

sels1
7th December 2005, 12:26
Well, OK then, I will. It's hard to deny it, however uncomfortable such a generalisation might be for the more liberal-minded among us. I wonder why it is? Is it just naivity? Maybe you can explain away the John Davies debacle at Maori TV, or Tuku's $80 underpants, by dismissing it as naivity or inexperience or whatever, I can almost buy that explanation. But this Wananga debacle is of a different nature and magnitude. $70 million of uncontested contracts issued to Wetere's family. Forgive me but this seems like the cynical exploitation of the Government's carelessness with public money by a few clever Maori.

You missed Donna Awatere Huata......the only one to actually get nailed for it - she must have belonged to the wrong political party....

idb
7th December 2005, 12:41
Sooooo......does anyone actually know whether the Wananga is achieving its stated aims, whatever they might be?

Wolf
7th December 2005, 12:53
Well, the wananga's home page is www.twoa.ac.nz if you want to see their take on the matter and their mission statement

oldrider
7th December 2005, 13:00
Fish, I see you have changed your avatar! Oh did you know only two things smell like fish?
Clue: Fish is one of them. :blip: Cheers John.

kerryg
7th December 2005, 13:14
Sooooo......does anyone actually know whether the Wananga is achieving its stated aims, whatever they might be?

Whether the Wananga delivers a first rate educational product or not, it's irrelevant to this discussion. This discussion concerns the abuse of a position of authority to garner benefits for family members, extravagance with expenditure, etc. I personally couldn't care less if it's the very best "university" in the whole wide world....if it is, it's in spite of its greedy and incompetent CEO.

That having been said, the fact that Rongo Wetere is an arse doesn't make the Wananga an unworthy institution. From what I've heard it has a real and useful purpose in re-introducing to education people who fell through the cracks at school. There's everything right with the intention, just a pity that some greedy bastard sees it as his personal cash-cow.

vifferman
7th December 2005, 13:23
Commissions of Enquiry only make people look bad
I worked with this guy once, who said that Commissions of Enquiry really only exist as a sort of pressure-relief valve. Some 'thing' happens, people find out about it, get all excited and wave their arms around, a Commission of Enquiry is called (and fat cats are paid to sit on it and eat lunch), they suck up lots of public moneys, publish some boring report (so long after the event, that no-one can remember what the fuss was all about), the report is stuffed into some vault or filing cabinet somewhere, and all the heat and steam is dissipated till the next 'scandal'.
What really changes? - Nothing.
What is accomplished? - Very little.
What do we learn from the mistakes that were made? - Probably nothing.

If we're really unlucky, someone will pass a new law, and our freedoms will be encumbered a little bit more.

I have summat else to say (bullshit, of course, just like all my other pronouncements). It doesn't really excuse it, seeing it's public money, not iwi money, but from what I understand, nepotism, and helping out the iwi/hapu/whanau in this way, when you're in a position to do so, is pretty much an accepted part of maoritanga. If the Gubmint's dumb enough/bending over backwards enough to not put checks and balances in place, then the Gubmint's at fault, not the Wananga or Wetere or whoever.

idb
7th December 2005, 13:30
Whether the Wananga delivers a first rate educational product or not, it's irrelevant to this discussion. This discussion concerns the abuse of a position of authority to garner benefits for family members, extravagance with expenditure, etc. I personally couldn't care less if it's the very best "university" in the whole wide world....if it is, it's in spite of its greedy and incompetent CEO.

That having been said, the fact that Rongo Wetere is an arse doesn't make the Wananga an unworthy institution. From what I've heard it has a real and useful purpose in re-introducing to education people who fell through the cracks at school. There's everything right with the intention, just a pity that some greedy bastard sees it as his personal cash-cow.
But if it's providing improvement to hundreds or thousands of people, dragging them up to a better place and so benefitting the country as a whole maybe we should temper our shittiness or jealousy at seeing a few do well financially out of it.
Is it any different to seeing a CEO paid well and receiving extra perks to lead a company to greater profits?

kerryg
7th December 2005, 13:49
Is it any different to seeing a CEO paid well and receiving extra perks to lead a company to greater profits?

Yes, it is, profoundly different in fact. Public (taxpayers) money that should be paying for education for MAORI (the very people for whom the Wanaga was set up) etc etc has been diverted to a handful of individuals, principally 17 of Wtere's family members. Perhaps you haven't been reading the reports (have a look at today's Herald). It is simply misleading to compare that to a private company paying its people well. Not even in the same general ballpark.

kerryg
7th December 2005, 13:59
I worked with this guy once, who said that Commissions of Enquiry really only exist as a sort of pressure-relief valve. Some 'thing' happens, people find out about it, get all excited and wave their arms around, a Commission of Enquiry is called (and fat cats are paid to sit on it and eat lunch), they suck up lots of public moneys, publish some boring report (so long after the event, that no-one can remember what the fuss was all about), the report is stuffed into some vault or filing cabinet somewhere, and all the heat and steam is dissipated till the next 'scandal'.
What really changes? - Nothing.
What is accomplished? - Very little.
What do we learn from the mistakes that were made? - Probably nothing.

If we're really unlucky, someone will pass a new law, and our freedoms will be encumbered a little bit more.

I have summat else to say (bullshit, of course, just like all my other pronouncements). It doesn't really excuse it, seeing it's public money, not iwi money, but from what I understand, nepotism, and helping out the iwi/hapu/whanau in this way, when you're in a position to do so, is pretty much an accepted part of maoritanga. If the Gubmint's dumb enough/bending over backwards enough to not put checks and balances in place, then the Gubmint's at fault, not the Wananga or Wetere or whoever.

1. Yes, I reckon that the use of Commissions of Inquiry is a tactic to placate the public in many instances. By setting the time frame and the scope a certain way, hand-picking the person to lead the inquiry etc etc it is possible to exercise a little spin.

2. Ian , I have to disagree about blaming the Government. Because I was careless enough to leave my house unlocked, does not excuse your robbing me. Yes, the Government has cocked up, no question.They should have been more careful. Heads should roll and arses should be kicked...but they won't because its politically embarrassing.

vifferman
7th December 2005, 14:04
Because I was careless enough to leave my house unlocked, does not excuse your robbing me.
I hope you don't want your stuff back - it's already on TardMe.

Yes, the Government has cocked up, no question.They should have been more careful. Heads should roll and arses should be kicked...but they won't because its politically embarrassing.
I think it may be more that they don't want to get offside with Maori or risk any possible taint of 'racism' accusations.

I'll be relieved when the anti-PC revolution brings and end to the safety/PC Nazis' reign of error.

Damon
7th December 2005, 14:08
But if it's providing improvement to hundreds or thousands of people, dragging them up to a better place and so benefitting the country as a whole maybe we should temper our shittiness or jealousy at seeing a few do well financially out of it.

I think if you were to compare the Wanaga with the same type of institution run by people who don't hand out contracts willy nilly to family and friends at pumped up prices, then the professionally run university would probably do just as well if not better and would probably save the tax payer a bit of money in the process, I'm sure Rongo's private first class trips would be better used to pay for actual educational needs.

Now on a slightly different track but still related, is it me or has Maori's worst enemy changed from the white guys to themselves? with Donna steeling money from the kids and now Rongo miss using money for the under educated, where is this going? If we give them the foreshore and seabed (I hope they don't) I bet they stop all non Maori from accessing it and then start selling it back to us? I know it's only a few Maori that are doing it but their the ones that are making the noise, not the ones we all seemed to have grown up with telling them to shut up.

kerryg
7th December 2005, 14:09
I hope you don't want your stuff back - it's already on TardMe.

I think it may be more that they don't want to get offside with Maori or risk any possible taint of 'racism' accusations.

I'll be relieved when the anti-PC revolution brings and end to the safety/PC Nazis' reign of error.

BTW I see you're about to hit 5000 posts. Not very busy at work again eh? (I know what it's like).

Yes, you are correct I'm sure about the getting offside with Maori thing. Personally I don't mind. I had an overseas visitor (Japanese) once and he asked me whast percentage of the population was Maori. I guessed about 10%. He looked at me and smiled and said. "so...no problem"

kerryg
7th December 2005, 14:19
Actually I think this Wananga thing is a bit of a watershed for me. I've tried pretty hard to keep a reasonably middle of the road (perhaps with the slightest leftward-leaning orientation) position on things Maori. On this forum I have defended Maori. I feel strongly that they have been shafted by generations of pakeha and that their educational and economic under-achievement has its roots in that unfortunate past. But this Wananga thing, shit, man, they're fucking laughing at us.

idb
7th December 2005, 14:24
Yes, it is, profoundly different in fact. Public (taxpayers) money that should be paying for education for MAORI (the very people for whom the Wanaga was set up) etc etc has been diverted to a handful of individuals, principally 17 of Wtere's family members. Perhaps you haven't been reading the reports (have a look at today's Herald). It is simply misleading to compare that to a private company paying its people well. Not even in the same general ballpark.
Tax payer funded/owned organisations from hospitals to schools are expected produce a measurable return in the modern system.
How can we expect government-funded organisations to return the same results that those that are privately-owned expect (however the results might be judged) if the former are not allowed to be run in the same manner as the latter?

A private company will count many extra expenses that the executive at the top rack up (including taking family on holidays, employing family in holiday jobs etc) as the cost of doing business - as long as the profits continue to come in.

Maybe all the other tax payer-funded agencies are doing it wrong............

Damon
7th December 2005, 14:36
they're fucking laughing at us.

Your right, I'm the same, try to keep as open minded and level headed as possible but eventualy you realise there are some, who are out to ride on the back of the big white train as far as they can, and the thing is "our" government lets them,

kerryg
7th December 2005, 14:40
Tax payer funded/owned organisations from hospitals to schools are expected produce a measurable return in the modern system.
How can we expect government-funded organisations to return the same results that those that are privately-owned expect (however the results might be judged) if the former are not allowed to be run in the same manner as the latter?

A private company will count many extra expenses that the executive at the top rack up (including taking family on holidays, employing family in holiday jobs etc) as the cost of doing business - as long as the profits continue to come in.

I think we are at cross-purposes. I don't have any issue at all with government-funded organisations rewarding their employees in a similar manner to private ones, none whatsoever. I don't know what Wetere's package is but if he was good at his job and that's what the market requires that he be paid, that's fine. But he has mis-used his position as a "trustee" of the public interest as the boss of the Wananga, an organisatioin set up to promote higher eucation to the educationally-disadvantaged , to give financial favours to his rellies. He has made decisions involving millions of dollars of public money (it really is different from someone spending private capital however difficult you find that distinction to accept) without consulting others, putting money in the pockets of his family. That's the crux of it.

OK he's also wasted money on first class travel, he's spent over $40000 in cash in daily out of pocket expenditure without receipts on a business trip to Cuba etc etc. Maybe a particularly stupid/profligate/greedy/ self-aggrandising CEO in the private sector might do that...but not for long I'll dare to speculate. But these are minor in comparison to the conflicts of interest inherent in awarding uncontested contracts, with a cost to the public of NZ of $70 million, to your family.

Hitcher
7th December 2005, 14:40
Your right, I'm the same
Your left, No you're not...

Damon
7th December 2005, 14:41

tax payer-funded agencies dont charge the customer full price, if they started charging us like private schools or private hopitals do then sure, they can do that kind of thing but when they are trying to save money so they can save me money then they can pay for their own f@#k'n holidays like the rest of us

TONO
7th December 2005, 14:42
Performance is difficult to quantify in this case. They did raise the roll from around 1000 students to 60,000. But with allowances for subjects like twilight golf and singing along to the radio on offer, I guess it would not be difficult to perform.

Don't forget the free cellphones and free overseas trips.:doobey: :rockon:

idb
7th December 2005, 14:54
I think we are at cross-purposes. I don't have any issue at all with government-funded organisations rewarding their employees in a similar manner to private ones, none whatsoever. I don't know what Wetere's package is but if he was good at his job and that's what the market requires that he be paid, that's fine. But he has mis-used his position as a "trustee" of the public interest as the boss of the Wananga, an organisatioin set up to promote higher eucation to the educationally-disadvantaged , to give financial favours to his rellies. He has made decisions involving millions of dollars of public money (it really is different from someone spending private capital however difficult you find that distinction to accept) without consulting others, putting money in the pockets of his family. That's the crux of it.

OK he's also wasted money on first class travel, he's spent over $40000 in cash in daily out of pocket expenditure without receipts on a business trip to Cuba etc etc. Maybe a particularly stupid/profligate/greedy/ self-aggrandising CEO in the private sector might do that...but not for long I'll dare to speculate. But these are minor in comparison to the conflicts of interest inherent in awarding uncontested contracts, with a cost to the public of NZ of $70 million, to your family.
Well put.

Pixie
8th December 2005, 00:46
Technically, it's only nepotism if you give lucrative jobs to bastard sons whom you pass off as nephews in order to maintain your plum job as the a rich minister of the church.

Nepotism is the giving of jobs to "nephews" - quote marks entirely intentional...
O.K. PEDANT
It's Cuzoptism