PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki ER6-N Test ride

Krayy
6th December 2005, 13:53
Well looky here, there's a grin on my dial :msn-wink: I took a trip at lunchtime up to Mt Eden Motorcycles to do my weekly tyre-kicking, and there on the shop floor, where you can fondle to your hearts desire (unlike Big Boys Toys where "look but don't touch" was the mantra for the day) was a couple of spanking new Er6-Ns. A quite bit of banter with the guys and before I knew it, I'd accepted the offer of a test ride (well, who wouldn't).

I had been impressed by the first photos that I had seen of this beastie floating around the net, but being able to throw a leg into the saddle and fire it up was a different story. At first it seemed a little tall in the saddle. I had to shift around in the seat a bit to get comfortable, but once I did, I found the bars and controls all were within easy reach and I was in a fairly upright position, which I like anyway. So off we go. Turn right out of shop and down to the roundabout. Enter the roundabout to the left hand side to give plenty of room to do a right hand turn, tweak the bars and....bloody hell, this thing turns like a 250!! Just to be sure, I head up Mt Eden (my usual handling test) and wayyyy-heyyyyy. Short squirts and quick cornering is a breeze on this thing. A few nice chicanes while under mild acceleration (it's still being run in) and a couple of nicely handled cattle stops later and we're at the top. Nice. So nice in fact, I had to go around again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke :whistle:

After the fun and game son the mount, I headed to the Khyber pass on ramp for a squirt down the motorway. Filter to the front of the queue, tight left hander (easy does it on this notoriously on ramp), and start running through the gears. Wow! Even short shifting it runs up to the legal limit and just a little past it in no time at all, and all accompanied by the most satisfying rumble and roar of the underslung pipe.

A quick note here. I was expecting your typical in-line twin whirr and zip but this thing sounds, feels and pulls like a perky v-twin. Lots of good vibrations that flatten out after about 4k or so, but the throaty roar still follows you through. I didn't get it past 5k, as the guys had said to treat it nice, but I'm sure it will pull strongly all the way to the 10k limit :niceone:

For just under $11k it's a great package, and I'm sure we'll see a lot of these around in the near future. It'll do me for the next bike, so hopefully I'll be one of them. Now to convince the wife :pinch:

*** UPDATE ****
Just something I forgot to mention. Big (and by that I mean tall) people will LOVE this bike I think. I'm of average height and my feet were just flat on the floor when stopped, and there was a good few inches left between the top curve in the tank and my knee (in fact, I think I'd need to get a tank bra for my knees to get a good grip).

skelstar
6th December 2005, 14:11
How do you like the look of it compared to the FZ-6N? Similar price (I think) and similar mission/market.

Devil
6th December 2005, 14:13
I think the ER6 is 3 grand or so cheaper than the FZ6. Both are neat looking bikes, the FZ6 is definately a good ride (R6 engine). Would have more poke, but for real all rounder, the ER6 looks like a great deal.

skelstar
6th December 2005, 14:22
I think the ER6 is 3 grand or so cheaper than the FZ6. Both are neat looking bikes, the FZ6 is definately a good ride (R6 engine). Would have more poke, but for real all rounder, the ER6 looks like a great deal.
You might be right about price, but I think I saw one at Sawyers (Wgtn) for atleast $12k if not $11k. Might be wrong.

Hitcher
6th December 2005, 14:36
You might be right about price, but I think I saw one at Sawyers (Wgtn) for atleast $12k if not $11k. Might be wrong.
That would be the FZ6. I doubt that you'll see the new Kawasaki there for a while and definitely not for a test ride...

zadok
6th December 2005, 14:38
Good to hear your comments. I guess we should get a few more views on it before long. It looked like a promising package before it's release.

skelstar
6th December 2005, 14:54
That would be the FZ6. I doubt that you'll see the new Kawasaki there for a while and definitely not for a test ride...
This is the bike I sat on (well a representation of it anyway).

Devil
6th December 2005, 15:02
This is the bike I sat on (well a representation of it anyway).
Take it for a ride when you're thinking of upgrading. They're a great bike, found it a little vibey for me though.

limbimtimwim
6th December 2005, 15:03
That would be the FZ6. I doubt that you'll see the new Kawasaki there for a while and definitely not for a test ride...Nope! I saw it there too. Actually, I seem to recall it called itself an ER-7.. And a little small fairing. Hmm. But yes, it had the little nub muffler. Wasn't looking too close though... Was dreaming of what I get in late Jan..... I am about to explode with excitement. How the hell am I going to live for the month and a half....

Skunk
6th December 2005, 15:04
Saw an ER-6n there last week - but as nobody talks to me there (except Hazel) I don't know about test riding it.
Looks good. Think it's what I want to replace the ZRX with.

skelstar
6th December 2005, 15:08
Was def the FZ-6N. Felt (just sitting on it) like a Hornet (equally limited experience in this bike). Would replace the chrome bar straight away :).

limbimtimwim
6th December 2005, 15:09
Saw an ER-6n there last week - but as nobody talks to me there (except Hazel) I don't know about test riding it.
Looks good. Think it's what I want to replace the ZRX with.The young fella at parts desk with her is a good guy too.

Krayy
6th December 2005, 18:37
*** UPDATE ****
Just something I forgot to mention. Big (and by that I mean tall) people will LOVE this bike I think. I'm of average height and my feet were just flat on the floor when stopped, and there was a good few inches left between the top curve in the tank and my knee (in fact, I think I'd need to get a tank bra for my knees to get a good grip).

Gremlin
6th December 2005, 23:12
I popped a pic of it in the Mt Eden Bikini Bike Wash thread... the black one?? Maybe they have more now...

One immediate problem I see. It has stupid little fairings above the radiator into which the indicators mount. Yep, integrated indicators... costly little parts too... and you normally can't get away with generic parts...

For the zzr250, they cost $70.65...

My post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=416883&postcount=74)
ER6-n (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20352&d=1132388969)

Krayy
7th December 2005, 00:46
They have a silver one as the demo. Very nice colour. I'd go for the yellow though.

Skunk
7th December 2005, 10:26
I'm waiting to see if the ER-6f comes into the country. :yes:

FROSTY
7th December 2005, 10:33
Im waiting to se wot they go like on the track

cowpoos
7th December 2005, 12:38

these guys are builting one as a race bike and racing it http://www.svraceshop.com/

2_SL0
8th December 2005, 20:45
Mark at Mt Eden MC is going to be racing one.

thehollowmen
8th December 2005, 21:01
ooh lucky
I'm jealous

What ever happened to kawa's Vstrom knockoff?

JohnBoy
9th December 2005, 11:29
im waiting too... i am huming and harring bout something like this. i wonder how easy it would be to put ZX6R fairings on it??

Hitcher
9th December 2005, 12:00
What ever happened to kawa's Vstrom knockoff?
Gone the same way as Suzuki's Mean Streak knock off will soon go...

grego
16th January 2006, 12:12
what is a tank bra ?????

James Deuce
16th January 2006, 12:19
I specially supportive piece of lingerie that keeps your tits off the tank.

No. Hang on. Wrong story.

It's a wotsit that stops the back and top of the tank from getting scratched. Usually made of leather.

Hitcher
16th January 2006, 12:48
I was sold the former. I now plan action under the provisions of the Sale of Goods Act.

gunnyrob
18th January 2006, 16:53
Hi Bro, How comfy was it? Will my poor arse be comfy or saddlesore after a good ride? The UK has an ABS model for sale , and the ER6F looks shithot.

Bob
18th January 2006, 22:35
The french are featuring the ER-6n in a one-make race series. It looks seriously good in race trim and "Kawasaki racing green":

http://www.bike70.com/CoupeKawa/CK_06_B.jpg