PDA

View Full Version : dimentions for a race stand

flash
6th December 2005, 16:49
please! can someone tell me the dimensions of a race stand?
i want to make one and ill need the specs before Thursday.
please, please, please!!, I'm doing a engineering course so all the tools and materials will be free!!! eg/ round bar, welding equ, plasma cutter...

do race stands come in different sizes?, i want this one to fit on just about anything.

also can i get some pics?

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 18:57
I'll run out and take you some pics and .. would a steel rule beside it be good enough?

flash
6th December 2005, 18:59
I'll run out and take you some pics and .. would a steel rule beside it be good enough?

yeah it should be, thats what ill be using to measure it :blip:
thanks dude

skidMark
6th December 2005, 18:59
i searched google for ages

couldnt find any pics or plans with full dimentions as yet...

but i found this ruthless but clever idea :msn-wink: :wari:

http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/78/130/

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 19:09
here we go

any specifics or any more give me a yell ok?

There is a front stand and a rear stand there

flash
6th December 2005, 19:19
here we go

any specifics or any more give me a yell ok?

There is a front stand and a rear stand there

YOUR A BOLDY LEGEND DUDE!!, cant believe you actually went out and tok pictures:2thumbsup

just wonderng where these little black nubs fitt on the bike?

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 19:20
YOUR A BOLDY LEGEND DUDE!!, cant believe you actually went out and tok pictures:2thumbsup

just wonderng where these little black nubs fitt on the bike?

more pictures then?
I better oil my chain tonight since I just did 1200 km last weekend

flash
6th December 2005, 19:28
are all swingarms the same width?, if so can you somehow get a measurement from the inside (or the middle) of the two pipes (mainly just the back), just write the measrement down, this measurement will be the most important. thanks so much again

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 19:29
Done
Now someone will probably tell me I've got them on the wrong wheels

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 19:30
are all swingarms the same width?, if so can you somehow get a measurement from the inside (or the middle) of the two pipes (mainly just the back), just write the measrement down, this measurement will be the most important. thanks so much again

No, hence why these 'universal' ones are adjustable.
You'll need to just measure it out on the swingarm of your bike.tape two rulers to either swing arm and then measure the distance in the middle.. that should be close enough.

on the BAD side these don't work on single swingarm bikes like the BMW in town

flash
6th December 2005, 19:31
im thinking of something a little lke this (very quick drawing, ill do one on photoshop when its finalised), would something like this work?, or should i try and do what yours does?

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 19:33
OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT

now WT and all the rest of you are gonna harrass me about those chicken strips

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 19:34
im thinking of something a little lke this (very quick drawing, ill do one on photoshop when its finalised), would something like this work?, or should i try and do what yours does?

That would work, but you'll need to add those two lil black wheels because it needs to pivot and move when you raise the bike.

If your nuts are that big you're very lucky

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 19:35
If your nuts are that big you're very lucky

OK that came out wrong

flash
6th December 2005, 19:37
im trying to get a rgv250, anyone know what sized wheels they have?

as for 'thehollowmen', would something like your one work on a bannana swingarm?

thanks again for your time/pics

Sketchy_Racer
6th December 2005, 19:39
sheesh look how dirty those rims are!!! thats not good enough!! lol

oh and yeah.....chicken stripper!!

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 19:41
would something like your one work on a bannana swingarm?

Maybe, but I think your idea with the nuts is better for a banana swingarm. don't think mine would be that stable.

Sorry I don't know the tyre size. How about making it adjustable rather than hoping they never changed it between years?
If you make square things that go through it like mine, and then cut out half a hexagon (trapesium?) out of the top that would cup around the nuts at the end... OMG cupping nuts I can't say anythging right today

thehollowmen
6th December 2005, 19:42
sheesh look how dirty those rims are!!! thats not good enough!! lol

oh and yeah.....chicken stripper!!

FFS there was an hour extra in traveling time made up of gravel roadworks ...

I'll clean it tommorrow if you insist.

flash
6th December 2005, 20:08
ok, ive been looking at pics of bikes on stands with banana swigarms, it looks like they use the axel bolt, so im on the right track, but all the pics have such bad quality i dont know how they use it

edit: found out the wheels are 17", that helps abit

flash
6th December 2005, 20:49
ill do the whole half circle "nutt" holders..but wondering if i should put a secondary defense under, that has a bit of padding (carpet). this (if it reaches the swig arm) will relieve the pressure off the half circle and will give protection if something breaks. stupid or smart idea?

curious george
6th December 2005, 20:51
On my RGV the distance between c-c of the bobbons is 330mm.
By this I mean the 'prongs' that hook into the bobbins on your swing arm will also be 330mm apart...

flash
6th December 2005, 20:54
By this I mean the 'prongs' that hook into the bobbins on your swing arm will also be 330mm apart...

do all rgvs have this little hole on each side of the swig arm?, most pics ive seen have them, but the one on trademe (ducati look alike) dosnt look like it does

flash
6th December 2005, 21:11
whats the inside diameter of the bobben holes?, just so i know what i can fit in there to keep it up

flash
6th December 2005, 21:28

is that measurement to the tips of the bobbins?, how wide is the outside of the swing arm? how long are the bobbins?

skidMark
6th December 2005, 22:35
lol why don't you get the bike then make the stand to measure? :stupid:

thehollowmen
7th December 2005, 06:53
lol why don't you get the bike then make the stand to measure? :stupid:
Time constraints
he needs to start making it this thursday

flash
7th December 2005, 14:03
yeah, i finish the course on friday. ive been looking for a bike for ages, but the ones i want are very hard to get hold of...

erik
7th December 2005, 18:02
The stands I've seen for single sided swingarms have used a rod that fits inside the hole in the rear axle. A support under the axle nut alone wouldn't work, the stand has to stop the bike toppling over sideways too.

you can kind of see in this photo http://www.muzzys.com/catalog/cat_photos/tools/rear_stand_2.jpg how the stand hooks onto the bobbins. If you're lucky enough to have a bike with bobbins, this kinda stand is definately the way to go.

Try doing a google image search for "rear stand motorcycle" to see some different types of stands.

I had a go at making a stand myself a while ago out of 25mm square hollow section steel. It's not perfect, I think if I made it again I'd make it a bit taller and change the swingarm supports, they don't work too well and probably aren't that strong (wouldn't want to sit on the bike while it's on the stand).
But here's a few pictures and a pdf of the dimensions I used. You'd have to change the height and width to suit a different bike if you were going to use it though, and also to suit different skateboard (or other) wheels.

skidMark
7th December 2005, 18:22
yeah, i finish the course on friday. ive been looking for a bike for ages, but the ones i want are very hard to get hold of...

what if you went to a bike shop nearby and measure off an rgv ?

then it's going to be alot more accurate....

or if you don't wanna do that..... make it way wider than you think it will be and put some tube to go onto the axel nuts and cut them length ways heading into middle of stand from each side then when you get the bike you can just cut them to have the correct center width?

so yeah like a semi cirdle length of tubing and have it right across the middle if you want to make it easier then just cut out however much you need to out of the middle to be the right width then it will fit on whatever bike you get?

thehollowmen
7th December 2005, 18:39
I still think adjustable, grabbing at the nuts is the way to go... just a few extra dollars for bolts and you're sweet.

curious george
8th December 2005, 20:58
is that measurement to the tips of the bobbins?, how wide is the outside of the swing arm? how long are the bobbins?
You will need an M6 bolt to go through it iirc.

flash
10th December 2005, 18:15
thanks for all your help guys, i made it and Will put up some pics when i can be bothered. i forgot to cut the pipes to the right height, so it would raise a bike too high, but its close enough.
once again thanks everybody ;)

P.S;oohh yeah baby, 200 posts

danb
10th December 2005, 23:52
I have been pestering my dad to help me make one as well. Yet another thing on my todo list I havent done yet.
Does anyone have prices of what they cost new in the shops?

Gremlin
11th December 2005, 00:41
Does anyone have prices of what they cost new in the shops?
I think they are about $150... some were selling them on the site, Frosty included, not sure if he has more...

Motomail has them, but can't seem to find them on the site...

SportsbikesNZ's Stands (http://sportsbikesnz.co.nz/index.php/cPath/57?osCsid=6b08bdf3a1693871ba9c02086465fd82)