PDA

View Full Version : Big cages eg trucks?

TraD_MaN
6th December 2005, 19:51
when you see an incomming truck or some big cage with a tradiler eg horse float, how are you to react? ive got a habbit of going far to the left as possibal because im a wimp of the big wind gusts and my fixxer dosent take much to make it rock. being new to biking im problay doing the wrong thing. also i went for a ride tonight and met a farm truck just before a bend and it had half of its arse hanging over the white line, i paniced and started heading towards the left hand side and just missed a gravel patch so now im real put off the 4 wheels kind :bash:

Play Chicken!!

Head stright for them and see who blinks first!

TraD_MaN
6th December 2005, 20:08
ok ill try that, ill let you know how i get on :niceone:

Dadpole
6th December 2005, 20:37
Just before you get to them, put both hands over your eyes.
For some reason that gets quite a reaction.

Goblin
6th December 2005, 20:52
I tend to keep my line and just duck down behind the fairing blade thingee. And always try to keep left as possible round right hand corners.( so your head aint hangin out over the center line)

One of my first ever long rides was down to Manfeild on a Katana 750, all packed up to the hilt and with the boyfriend on the back. The wind was blowing straight across the road, was basically stacked over in a straight line. Saw a cattle truck and trailer coming towards us and braced for it, the dickhead driver flicked the trailer as we passed and nearly blew us off the road. Have always been weary of stock trucks since.

Gremlin
6th December 2005, 23:40
Probably not such a great idea to go to the far left, if you do get affected by the wind, you have no where to go...

Normally, I remain in the middle of lane, and depending on the situation, either remain still, or time it so I do a little swerve as the truck passes to somewhat counter the effect.

scumdog
7th December 2005, 01:01
Focus on where you want to be on the road and ignore any other distractions.

Think about it - if the truck was doing 30kph and so were you would you worry about it as much??

dangerous
7th December 2005, 05:24
when you see an incomming truck or some big cage with a tradiler eg horse float, how are you to react? ive got a habbit of going far to the left as possibal because im a wimp of the big wind gusts and my fixxer dosent take much to make it rock. being new to biking im problay doing the wrong thing.

also i went for a ride tonight and met a farm truck just before a bend and it had half of its arse hanging over the white line, i paniced and started heading towards the left hand side and just missed a gravel patch so now im real put off the 4 wheels kind :bash:
Good questions TM, every truck will affect you in a differant way due to the truck design and the wind at the time and the style of fairing on the bike.
As a general rule I stay center of my lane... however if it is windy or say a narrow rd or for what ever reason I'm not happy with the situation... as the ofending truck aproches I'll drift into the left hand car track and as the truck is about to pass I steer into the right car track, as this seems to cut through the truck wash better as it is not so side on.

Now trucks are all differant due to the design.... another words late modeled rigs have wind spoilers on the frount corners (below the window) which direct the wind down the side , these rigs on a good day will not affect you however older rigs can.... so keep an eye out for the style of rig.

Now as for the farm truck...... the prick shouldent be allowd to drive, I have driven some of the longest trucks in NZ and OZ and theres no need for that sorta shit...... so the old rule applies.... "expect the unexpected" on every corner...... never look were you 'dont' want to go

Happy riding mate :niceone:

TraD_MaN
8th December 2005, 19:08
sweet thanks for the help :yes:

Fordy
8th December 2005, 19:25
Generally I ride in the right hand car track and move slightly left for all oncoming, you don't know if they're screeming at the kids in the back, dropped a coffee in their lap etc, and then return to the rh track when I've passed them.

For right handers go to the left, you get a better view and your heads further from the line. For left hander go right, again to get the view but less far when there's oncoming.

The Roadcraft book is based on the 'system' that the UK Police Class 1 riders use, and as taught by the Institute of Advanced Motorists. You've got them here, don't know if they offer the same training though?

New Zealand
IAM Auckland, PO Box 5372, Wellesley Street, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND
Secretary : Mr D B Richardson

IAM Canterbury, 17 Westburn Terrace, West Burnside 8004, Christchurch, Canterbury, NEW ZEALAND
Secretary : Mr Patrick Fergusson

smokeyging
1st January 2006, 15:23
Don’t ride on the left at all, the reason for this is we have more to be concerned about on the road than probably any other road user, we have to consider balance, potholes, all sorts of problems etc, plus if you get too close to the left and something goes wrong, you are off the road and if you’re not hurt your lucky. Even riding in the centre of the road is not a good idea for there’s usually oil and sheepshit etc, slippery as. Plus also when riding on the left the traffic from behind you will try to pass even when there’s oncoming traffic and push you off the road. So I personally ride on the right were the traffics right hand tyres go. and i would'nt worry too much about the truck, you'll get blown over to the left anyway and still be on the road

froggyfrenchman
1st January 2006, 15:26
I just keep my line and hold the bars a bit tighter as he goes past.

boomer
1st January 2006, 15:30
Just before you get to them, put both hands over your eyes.
For some reason that gets quite a reaction.

classic, bling on its way.

Keep your line mate and relax;
I had a interesting experience following a lorry, went to overtake just as another lorry went past on the other side of the road. I didn't wait for the gust and as soon as i pulled out i got the shock of my life.. a handfull of gas and a wind gust had the adrenaline runnin :Punk: