PDA

View Full Version : S83 or vs1400

sheddy
7th December 2005, 12:52
Is there a difference between them. I saw the other thread about shorter riders liking them how are they for 6ft guys and long distance. They seem to be much cheaper than VN Kwakas but are they that much lower spec. Anyone know historically if they go on sale in the new year when they become last years bikes, or does that only happen with slow moving models.
Yes I'd like a softail but I think that I couldn't pay for both the bike and the divorce:lol:

SARGE
7th December 2005, 12:56
Is there a difference between them. I saw the other thread about shorter riders liking them how are they for 6ft guys and long distance. They seem to be much cheaper than VN Kwakas but are they that much lower spec. Anyone know historically if they go on sale in the new year when they become last years bikes, or does that only happen with slow moving models.
Yes I'd like a softail but I think that I couldn't pay for both the bike and the divorce:lol:

Suzuki is NOT doing a Summerfest sale this year due to manufacturer supply levels.. dont think that they will be coming down too much lower than they already are.. call your local and work out a deal on the S83.. damn nice bike and easy to maintain ( parts supply is good..)

$13995 buys ALOT of Suzuki

good luck

vifferman
7th December 2005, 13:09
Should I be ashamed that I don't know what an S83 or a VS1400 is? :spudwhat:

Used to be I could tell what almost any bike was, just by listening to the sound it made.

kerryg
7th December 2005, 13:23
Should I be ashamed that I don't know what an S83 or a VS1400 is? :spudwhat:

Yes. Sadly. It's 'cos you're old

sheddy
7th December 2005, 13:24
Thanks for that info.
So @ 13995 there is still a chance of some further discussion if one was to front up and talk seriously......

vifferman
7th December 2005, 13:25
Yes. Sadly. It's 'cos you're old
...and farkt.

kerryg
7th December 2005, 13:28
$13995 buys ALOT of Suzuki

About $1 a kilogram

...and farkt.
Well you may think so...but I could hardly comment

sheddy
7th December 2005, 13:35
cheers Vifferman. It sounds good I will ponder some more. [ do you keep petroleum jelly instock].
I am in the district and weighing up new, vs late model. The 1400's seem to have a great reputation for reliability and their resale looks pretty good as well.

kerryg
7th December 2005, 14:52
[ do you keep petroleum jelly instock].

Hmmmmm. Curious. Not from Wanganui are ya.....?

Cue Duelling Banjos

sheddy
7th December 2005, 15:19
"Why do you ask Grasshopper", do you have one for sale as well??.

kerryg
7th December 2005, 15:24
"Why do you ask Grasshopper", do you have one for sale as well??.

No, it was the puzzling referenceto the need for petroleum jelly. You must really like them big v-twin Soozookis. But, hey, each to his own, eh?

Virago
7th December 2005, 17:37
The S83 is just the same as the VS1400, it has simply been rebranded to bring it under the "Boulevard" umbrella.

Recent modifications included removing the "buckhorn" bars, which taller riders found too cramped for elbow room, and installing the "straight" bars on the tall risers.

Macktheknife
7th December 2005, 20:06
The 1400's seem to have a great reputation for reliability and their resale looks pretty good as well.

I own one and have had another, I recommend them. Bulletproof if looked after well, damn comfy and got a respectable amount of go to them too, never gonna be a racer but not designed to be. :rockon:

sheddy
9th December 2005, 18:52
Quite a few guys seem to own them only for a small number of k's i wonder if its a comfort thing. If they are fitted with dragbars and the seat is changed would that make them more comfortable long distance. Any one do big trips on an intruder regularly?. They look good to me I'm just wondering if at 6 ft it will be too short to the pegs. My old XV Yam had highway pegs and that helped a lot. The other option is maybe a Vulcan 1500, which would be more torque down low. Not worried about top end as my GPZ gave me all that and rocketing to a licence suspension is not exactly where I'm at.I'd get a vtr or a buell as well if I could get away with it. Somehow I think the Mrs would not see the bright side.

Seroom
14th January 2008, 19:16
Suzuki vs1400 vs s83

This thread is two years old but as I am a new member I decided to add my experience in case someone else reads it.

In reply to the original post.
""Is there a difference between them.""

The geometry, engine and set-up are the same. The bars, style of seat and lack of the small sissy bar are the most obvious cosmetic alterations. Most S83 seem to have the optional sissybar attached

""I saw the other thread about shorter riders liking them how are they for 6ft guys and long distance.""

I am 6ft and this coming April will have owned the same VS1400 for 5 years. It is definitely comfortable for the taller rider. I have been in the saddle all day and only towards the end did my bum get a tad sore. Also did a 550k stint and when we finished the day at Taupo could have kept going. So not bad.

The Bars on the VS1400 allow for adjustment up and down whereas the S83 bars do not. I was not happy with the way the full lock pushed the bar into my thigh so to avoid having to poke my knee out I rasied the bar 50mm. Now I can do a full lock turn with my knee against the tank. Raising the bar also straightened my neck and back a little and gave the bike more of a cruiser/chopper feel. Having said that, I would like to try the footpegs about 75-100mm forward.

The passenger seat is not the best and I made a leather strap on cushion and custom backrest for my wife. Alternating the cushion and stock seat gives her a bit more range. She also complains about the vibration through the footpegs so to stop the noise I may have to add passenger footboards or trade for an ST1300 which she really liked the seat on and was smooth quiet and vibrationless. I am trying to tell her that is why we need to have two bikes.

The main drawback I found is the finish of the control units and master cylinders quickly oxidise. Only a thin coat of lacquer is applied to these. If I decide to keep the bike for another couple of years I may have these chromed or powder coated. Other than that all is good.

""Depreciation and resale""
I was talking to a Harley rider the other night and he was waxing lyrical about how Harleys hold their price. WRONG>>>. Bang for your buck a VS 1400 will give a much better return. I saw an HD FLSTC selling new for $32000, in the same store a 2002 was selling for $23000 @ 20000km, that's an average $1500/year. My 03 VS1400 was on the floor for $14000 and today is retailing for about $9500 with 20000km that's only an average $900/year.

So over 5 years
The Harley depreciated by $7500 over 5 years and the vs1400 depreciated by $4500 over the same period.
If you look at it in percentage terms the Harley depreciated by 24% the vs1400 by 33%. The Harley depreciates less in percentage terms but you have to spend more than twice as much and lose more in real dollars to realise it. The bottom line is the VS1400 rider is losing less money. So holding value is not a good excuse to tell the wife you need a Harley, $3000 is a lot of dresses.

Anyway I hope this helps someone along the way in deciding whether or not to go for a VS1400 or S83. I'm not biased as long as you are happy.

sheddy
14th January 2008, 20:57
Hey Seroom, great update to this old thread, very useful information for those looking at these great Suzuki bikes.
I am keen to sell my Yamaha Xv 1100 but it seems not many are chasing them currently. It is a great bike and quite comparable with the Intruders. I have a HD now and have to agree that depreciation on your Intruder is quite likely to be less than my bike. I was always a Harley knocker until I rode a Road king about a year ago, the twin cam 88 impressed me like no EVO had. Once I rode the Softail Deuce I was sold on the whole experience. The HD thing is definately a culture beyond the bikes alone. You have to have one for a while to understand what I am on about. Yes they are expensive Jap bikes out handle most of them and are mostly quicker but no matter what you do the Harley Davidson is nigh on the best entertainment that money can buy.
So in short buy the bike that makes you feel "it doesn't get better than this" whatever the manufacturer. Never worry about depreciation and ride carefully with your light on. Dont wear an orange vest it looks terrible and if your that worried about getting hit, stay home and watch the tv, if you fall off the remote it wont hurt so much.

Seroom
15th January 2008, 12:09
Hi Sheddy

I do like that end quote of yours. I have to confess I cannot bring myself to wear a flouro vest, preferring to ride like I am invisible, if I see a car I assume he has not seen me and often have been right. I had a guy look straight at me one day, I was half way turned onto the motorway onramp and he still turned left in front of me.

s8306
20th January 2008, 07:31
My wife and i both have 1400s.Hers is a 04 model mine is an 06.At 6'-2 I was a bit cramped on mine so i have jardine forward controls which make the world of difference in comfort, and better control as well.Awesome bikes,not speed machines but they were,nt designed to be, if your like me and anal about keeping them well maintained then you wont have any problems.We ride about a 1000ks a month what with club rides and weekend jaunts and the bikes just purr along.