PDA

View Full Version : Rust removal

Justice
2nd February 2004, 13:09
Hey can anyone tell me how to get rust of chrome? The front of my pipes must be at least 2mm thick in rust.
I've cleaned the rest of the small amounts off with a steel wool pad and jiff and comes up fine. I was thinking of sanding the rust down, but I'm worried about eventually scratching the pipes.

Any Ideas or products you guys could recommend?

MikeL
2nd February 2004, 14:08
Any Ideas ... you guys could recommend?

Yes. Get new pipes. 2mm of rust?? How much metal is left?

Justice
2nd February 2004, 14:21
Pipes are fine. Its just all surface. No holes at all. Havn't been cleaned in over 18 years! It's coming off but its just taking for ever with Jiff (it's all I've got at the moment).
Is there something out there to soak the pipe in or something? Or do these matters require just alot of elbow grease?

I'll post a photo tomorrow.

merv
2nd February 2004, 14:59
Steel wool that you are already using is the best bet. There are many rust removing compounds around (acid based) but I suspect if there is any chrome left with the rust they will take that off too.

..... but if you want to try it I am sure Repco will have some rust remover if not your local hardware store. Usually they are a brush on gel and I have used a few of them, just can't remember the brand names. Brush it on, wash it off when the rust has dissolved.

Big Dog
2nd February 2004, 16:00
When I used to strip rust out of cars the most permanent and least harmful was to use a wire cup brush (a $1.5-$3.95 depending on size attachment for your drill). For chrome you can get chrome finnish etching primer to stop it coming back. Note its reeally matt grey but if you buff it back and reapply then blend you would only pick it if looking for it. It is really a preperation to chrome over.

Reality check A tub of etching primer will cost you $60 (you will get enough to primer 15-30 square metres) at trade. How much would a new or like new replacement cost?

Justice
3rd February 2004, 09:00
Thanks for the info. I'm a bit of a bike repair retard. Guess I'm gonna have to learn sometime. I've got a 2 stroke that I'm gonna put back together as a project. So that should be fun

Al
3rd March 2004, 22:07
Hey gang!
I have been unable to ride for a while due to operations and have discovered surface rust on my brake discs. Is it something to worry about, ie. should I remove with steel wool or very fine sandpaper or will it come right through use again?

Any advice appreciated!
:ride:

MikeL
4th March 2004, 07:27
Hey gang!
I have been unable to ride for a while due to operations and have discovered surface rust on my brake discs. Is it something to worry about, ie. should I remove with steel wool or very fine sandpaper or will it come right through use again?

Any advice appreciated!
:ride:

Rust on your brake discs is no different from any of life's annoying little problems. The cure for them all is the same:
JUST RIDE MORE !!
:D

Al
4th March 2004, 09:32
Thanx MikeL
I have had all stitches out, no gym yet but able to ride again... YIPPEE!!
:niceone: