PDA

View Full Version : Ears on helmets? wassup wit dat

vince25
8th December 2005, 06:00
I see them all the time, especially splitting lanes down aucklands north western motorway in the morning. but i dont see why people have them, or what exactly they are. they look like little fluffy ears popping out the top of helmets. What exactly are they?

The other day i even saw one that looked like tv antenna.

Please explain. I'm just curious.

James Deuce
8th December 2005, 06:06
Cosmetic adornment. Some people think they are cute.

SixPackBack
8th December 2005, 06:11
Some of us believe they confirm dubious characters with alternative sexual practices, Do you wish to make a statement Vince25?

Dafe
8th December 2005, 06:32
Just like those colourful mohawks!
It's fun.....But f*#ked if I'd wear one!

Eurodave
8th December 2005, 06:38

THEY ARE F*&KIN WANK!!!:bleh:

Ixion
8th December 2005, 06:52
I think the tV antennae ones sound rather fun. I'd like a set of those, I could wear them on the BMW - it would make the BMWisti furious. Good on the folk wearing 'em I say, it's a harmless bit of fun. Lighten up youse old folks.

Wasp
8th December 2005, 07:03
yeaa i agree with ixion. chuck a santa hat on! :lol:

Aitch
8th December 2005, 07:45
what does "wassup wit dat mean"? Some sort of pidgin english?????

Eurodave
8th December 2005, 07:53
what does "wassup wit dat mean"? Some sort of pidgin english?????

M8 wot U tlkn bout?:bleh:

Keystone19
8th December 2005, 08:01
It would be nice if MDU posted a picture of his most recent festive adornment...

It's not reindeer antlers I believe but close...

Colapop
8th December 2005, 08:05
Is it a horn?

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 08:12
Here's mine.

Santa's from the warehouse for $2.99, hot set glued to the top of my helmet.

It's cheap and cheerful and makes the kids (and some not so young) smile. That's the aim. Plain and simple.

MDU

Eurodave
8th December 2005, 08:17
It would be nice if MDU posted a picture of his most recent festive adornment...

It's not reindeer antlers I believe but close...

Is this wot youre talkin bout?
Those mercans & their OCC Santa bike sure have style!:sick:

Colapop
8th December 2005, 08:22
Here's mine.

It's cheap and cheerful and makes the kids (and some not so young) smile. That's the aim. Plain and simple.

MDU

Boooooo!!! Only coz they don't light up. Do they have the annoying electronic carol-tune to go with it?

Apart from that - Classic:msn-wink:

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 08:24
Boooooo!!! Only coz they don't light up. Do they have the annoying electronic carol-tune to go with it?

Apart from that - Classic:msn-wink:

I'll tell ya for free they give the neck a workout though. at 120 it feels like someone's got their hand on your forehead oushing back with a reasonable force...

Colapop
8th December 2005, 08:25
I'll tell ya for free they give the neck a workout though. at 120 it feels like someone's got their hand on your forehead oushing back with a reasonable force...

Hey, it's Airport appreciation day soon you could put a windsock up there!

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 08:38
Some of us believe they confirm dubious characters with alternative sexual practices, Do you wish to make a statement

Like you ever thought different of me... LOL

Yeah yeah yeah, dubious practices... aaa the stories I could tell - get me drunk and I'll be your... err friend

Cookie
8th December 2005, 09:08
There are some nice brown doggy ears at Motomail I have my eye on. Might ask Santa.

It would amuse me and shame my kids at the same time :banana:

A great way to pay them back for the pain they put me through.:lol:

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 09:10
I see them all the time, especially splitting lanes down aucklands north western motorway in the morning. but i dont see why people have them, or what exactly they are. they look like little fluffy ears popping out the top of helmets. What exactly are they?

The other day i even saw one that looked like tv antenna.

Please explain. I'm just curious.

That was quite possibly me - I go up and back on the NW to and from work on a red RF900 with hard luggage on the back.

I even occasionally line split (y'know, use that gap between the lines reserved for cars... )

crashe
8th December 2005, 09:17
I even occasionally line split (y'know, use that gap between the lines reserved for cars... )

Yeah you sure do mate.... You zapped past me and another rider the other night.... but you were in the other lane over... the poor car drivers didnt quite know which way to move over or who to let throu, cos of having bikes on both sides of them :rofl:

Who would have thought that Santa wasn't aerodynamic? :slap:

Colapop
8th December 2005, 10:20
I'll tell ya for free ..... it feels like someone's got their hand on your forehead oushing back with a reasonable force...

Is that like someone's hand pushing on the back of your head with some reasonable force?

Waylander
8th December 2005, 11:04
MDU, hope you plan on leaving those on for a good while. Hot glue is not nice to helmet paint.

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 11:06
MDU, hope you plan on leaving those on for a good while. Hot glue is not nice to helmet paint.

It's not so bad... I tried a bit before going overboard and it peels off quite well (another reason for not exceeding 120...)

stunz
8th December 2005, 11:12
I see them all the time, especially splitting lanes down aucklands north western motorway in the morning...You dont see naffs riding around with bunny ears on in Welly. Must be a dorkland thing...

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 11:17
You dont see naffs riding around with bunny ears on in Welly. Must be a dorkland thing...

Na - it's a personality thing.

I'm only in this world for the laugh - if I get stuff done along the way... it's a bonus!

Colapop
8th December 2005, 11:18
You dont see naffs riding around with bunny ears on in Welly. Must be a dorkland thing...
Sorry mate but Vikings aint naff - just horny.

Sorry mate but Vikings aint naff - just horny.

And hairy, very similar to French women in those regards.

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 12:37
And hairy, very similar to French women in those regards.

mental note... next time I'm in Paris...

mstriumph
8th December 2005, 12:41
.... i thought the bunny wabbit ears were cute :rolleyes::o
but de bike vetoed the idea ............... *sigh*

judgeshock
8th December 2005, 12:46
.... i thought the bunny wabbit ears were cute :rolleyes::o
but de bike vetoed the idea ............... *sigh*

You can think it's cute because you are a girly:lol: Some think it's funny and thats o.k to. I don't personally like them but big ups to anyone brave enough to wear a pair.:2thumbsup

Wolf
8th December 2005, 12:55
I know a couple, one of whom has a yellow mohawk crest, the other has rabbit ears - they reckon it gets a lot of "WTF?" looks from cagers so they figure they're more visible than without the adornments. They use rubber suction cups which apparently are good for well over the legal speed limit.

A pair of stylised wings a la Asterix or viking-style cow horns might look cool.

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 12:57
I know a couple, one of whom has a yellow mohawk crest, the other has rabbit ears - they reckon it gets a lot of "WTF?" looks from cagers so they figure they're more visible than without the adornments. They use rubber suction cups which apparently are good for well over the legal speed limit.

A pair of stylised wings a la Asterix or viking-style cow horns might look cool.

I'll testify to the higher visibility - it's great!

That and the occasional "love your helmet" comment (like the one I got yesterday)... she was cute and it's VERY good for the ego... till you realise Santa's the ladies man, and I'm just the carrier...

crashe
8th December 2005, 13:03
Placidfemme has a yellow mohawk that she puts on her helmet every so often...

You can see her coming or going at a great distance...

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 13:07
Placidfemme ... You can see her coming at a great distance...

now THAT would be worth witnessing...

Wolf
8th December 2005, 13:09
The prob with the mohawk was it wasn't high enough - should be like that paintbrush affair the Romans had on their helmets, on a raised platform and all.

We could take a cue from the knights of old whose helmets had ornate adornments on top or were fashioned to resemble fearsome beasts - get the cagers wondering WTF is going on and terrified to ask us about it...

There's a guy here in Hamilton who has his helmet covered with tiger-pattern false fur and tiger ears mounted on it, he turned up to the Toy Run wearing a tiger patterned fur onepiece but he just wears the fur-covered helmet around town. I spotted and recognised him a block away in the rear-view mirror one day - how's that for visible...

inlinefour
8th December 2005, 13:11

Plus it would stuff up the aerodynamics of yer helmet. If its what some people want to do, then so be it. Their choice at the end of the day eh?:eyepoke:

SpeedyGirl
8th December 2005, 13:35
It would be one of the first things I put on my new helmet!!! :bleh: *wonder if they have Shrek ears or fairy wings* I even used to have a mate that rode around with a Grover soft toy on his helmet 10 years ago!!!:spudbooge

sAsLEX
8th December 2005, 14:19
Plus it would stuff up the aerodynamics of yer helmet. If its what some people want to do, then so be it. Their choice at the end of the day eh?:eyepoke:

give you a sore neck at any decent speed, and they would probally fall off at a decent Honda speed

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 14:26
give you a sore neck at any decent speed, and they would probally fall off at a decent Honda speed

oh no - I've had mine well beyond 40

vince25
8th December 2005, 15:24
just taking the piss

vince25
8th December 2005, 15:30
thats wicked

Phurrball
8th December 2005, 17:14

Ta Wolf - I like the idea of Asterix wings!

I'll put my/our hands up for this one:

Yellow mohawk is moi, and bunny ears is Mrs P.

People either look at you sidelong like you are crazy, or they think it's hilarious - either way they definately look twice - which can only be good from a safety point of view.

When people see the two of us out together and just crack up. Kiddies love the mohawk, (lots of pointing and getting Mum's/Dad's attention for a look). Even a few smirks from harried Auckers pedestrians at the barndance crossings on Queen St when I filter to the from of the queue.

Wouldn't imagine such adornment was useful in constabulary avoidance though...

Do any fellow adornees have cleaning tips? The filthy Auckers air is taking its toll on the yellowness fo the mohawk (Fecking diesel fumes!)

(Besides, whadidya think an 'irokesenfrisur' was anyway?)

froggyfrenchman
8th December 2005, 17:19
Ive got a blue mohawk onmy healmet, (sometimes) I have given it extensive testing, and it holds to the lid well over the 200 mark. But anything over the imperial ton is a bit hard on the neck

notme
8th December 2005, 17:33
Well, I'm the fooooool riding around south/east Auckland at the mo with a Santa hat on my helmet......it's a bit of harmless fun and the kiddies love it! "Mum! Mum! I know how Santa gets to ALL the kids in one night now! "
:ride:

The bobble hitting my helmet at random intervals is annoying though.....

I have a real bunny wabbit available (see?!?) (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=420889#post420889) , might try hot gluing him on my helmet next....the owner could possibly have someting to say however.....and she knows Tae Kwon doodoo!

Colapop
8th December 2005, 18:56
....viking-style cow horns are cool.
Got dibbs on that see my avatar.

Wolf
8th December 2005, 22:12
I'll put my/our hands up for this one:

Yellow mohawk is moi, and bunny ears is Mrs P.

(Besides, whadidya think an 'irokesenfrisur' was anyway?)
Damn! And after all the effort I went to to keep your identities secret!

Wolf
8th December 2005, 22:13
Got dibbs on that see my avatar.
Right, I'll go with the golden wings, then.

skidMark
8th December 2005, 23:12
Here's mine.

MDU

santas $2.99 hot glue gun stick 20cents having hot glue marks stuck on your helmet forever....

priceless

how you gunna get that off lol :P

Ixion
8th December 2005, 23:17
No probs, the elves can clean it up after Christmass. They've nothing to do then anyway, except fondle the reindeer.

skidMark
8th December 2005, 23:24
ixion .... are you stalking me tonight you seem to be everywhere i am lol

sorry to burst you're bubble

a) theres no mistletoe b) you're a dude ...dude lol
Cheers : MA

John
9th December 2005, 00:39
yeaa i agree with ixion. chuck a santa hat on! :lol:
I am going to get one tommorrow, thanks for the idea - althought some dirty cunt ill probably steal it off me at the lights anyways.

John
9th December 2005, 00:51
santas $2.99 hot glue gun stick 20cents having hot glue marks stuck on your helmet forever....

priceless

words... words... words...

ManDownUnder
9th December 2005, 10:25

priceless

Good question... applying heat came to mind as the solution (trust me - it'll be fine...)

edit - I did a test run before actually going for it... it's quite easy really

clint640
9th December 2005, 11:25
See my avatar - a mate made it up out of an old cracked mx lid, the antlers are quite big & it's way too dangerous to wear in most circumstances of course. I've worn it in a couple of MTB races though & the crowd loves it!

I wanna get an open face helmet & cover it with black fur so it looks like a big ass 'fro

Cheers
Clint

skidMark
9th December 2005, 17:08
words... words... words...

you have way too much time on your hands john

SARGE
9th December 2005, 18:25
. You zapped past me and another rider the other night.... :rofl:

good skills from you also Crashe..last saturday you were buzzing along through traffic..

did the wind blast as i passed you in the open upset your airflow much?

placidfemme
14th December 2005, 16:30
now THAT would be worth witnessing...

lol what the mohawk or the cumming from a great distance :lol:

Waylander
14th December 2005, 16:33
the cumming from a great distance :lol:
I know a few on the site would pay good money to see that.

Sorry, bit miffed that I missed a place to introduce a jelly pool to an earlier conversation. Bad waylander bad!! *slaps his hand with a ruler*

placidfemme
14th December 2005, 16:35
lol that jelly wrestling thing keeps popping up...

would it be strawberry jelly?

ManDownUnder
14th December 2005, 16:44
lol what the mohawk or the cumming from a great distance :lol:

You mean I can only have one???

crashe
14th December 2005, 16:54
good skills from you also Crashe..last saturday you were buzzing along through traffic..

did the wind blast as i passed you in the open upset your airflow much?

Why thank you sir.... for those kind words.

Nope, I never felt a thing as you hammered it past me...:blip:

I had to think up something to say to waste my 3000th post :banana: