PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an engineer

jacob
8th December 2005, 07:56
Hi all,

I'm looking for someone to remove a bolt which has snapped off in the cylinder head of my 1967 Honda S90.

Does anyone have any recommendations of someone or somewhere to get this done (in Auckland)?

[As you can probably tell I'm a complete noob to riding and this forum.]
:slap:

Bartman10
8th December 2005, 07:57
I Don't know about engineers in Auckland but welcome to the site. :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

Good luck with the Honda.

kerryg
8th December 2005, 09:26
Hi all,

I'm looking for someone to remove a bolt which has snapped off in the cylinder head of my 1967 Honda S90.

Does anyone have any recommendations of someone or somewhere to get this done (in Auckland)?

[As you can probably tell I'm a complete noob to riding and this forum.]
:slap:

Hi and welcome. Any car or bike workshop would do it, it's not an unusual thing. It's actually not that hard to do yourself in many cases, depending on access. Get a set of ezi-outs from Repco or wherever, drill into the the broken bolt, screw the ezi-out counter-clockwise into the hole you've drilled and out comes the bolt.

imdying
8th December 2005, 10:33
Sooo many people break easy outs off it isn't funny. In my last job we were always cursing the bastards... makes getting the stud/bolt out heaps harded.

A neat tricl is to leave it soaking overnight in penetrating oil, then use a reversible drill with a left hand twist drill bit. As you drill into the stud, it'll grab, and wind it out :) Of course, you might just make a mess...

Waylander
8th December 2005, 10:53
Like the name mate.

kerryg
8th December 2005, 10:54
Sooo many people break easy outs off it isn't funny. In my last job we were always cursing the bastards... makes getting the stud/bolt out heaps harded.

A neat tricl is to leave it soaking overnight in penetrating oil, then use a reversible drill with a left hand twist drill bit. As you drill into the stud, it'll grab, and wind it out :) Of course, you might just make a mess...

The penetrating oil's a good tip (shoulda thought of that meself). I'm no engineer but I would have thought breaking an ezi-out would occur mainly because someone used too much brute force. Possibly also using too small an ezi-out relative to the diameter of the bolt. If the bolt won't come out fairly readily, I'd give up and I'd take it to a shop before I broke something.

vifferman
8th December 2005, 11:08
Another good tip with using Ezy-outs is to use the largest one that will fit in the bolt, and drill two or more holes: drill one of a slightly smaller diameter than the tip of the Ezyout, then another slightly bigger one not so deep, then a third (if possible) slightly bigger/shallower. This way you maximise the surface area of the Ezyout gripping the sides of the hole.
Other tricks are to heat the area with a hot air gun, lighter or whatever before putting the penetrating oil on, and if you can heat it again before trying to extract the snapped bolt and cool the bolt itself with a can of freeze spray, it may be enough to loosen it.

If all else fails get a farkin' big drill, fill ithe hole (and everything else) with explosive, light the touchpaper and run like hell.

kerryg
8th December 2005, 14:59
If all else fails get a farkin' big drill, fill ithe hole (and everything else) with explosive, light the touchpaper and run like hell.

And believe it or not he had 9 years or something of tertiary education....unless he repeated year 1 nine times???

vifferman
8th December 2005, 15:07
And believe it or not he had 9 years or something of tertiary education....unless he repeated year 1 nine times???
Nah, it was only five and a half.
But I've got three troglodytes living in my house, and they've reminded me that blowing shit up is good.
The Golden Rule:
"If all else fails, blow the fucker up."

kerryg
8th December 2005, 15:45
But I've got three troglodytes living in my house, and they've reminded me that blowing shit up is good.
The Golden Rule:

So you live in a cave? With 3 fellow cave dwellers ..who like to blow shit up?
Have you considered moving?

vifferman
8th December 2005, 15:48
So you live in a cave? With 3 fellow cave dwellers ..who like to blow shit up?
Four. Four troglodyteo. But I'm married to one of them, so I can't call her a troglodyte or she'll get mad.

Have you considered moving?
Ayup. I offered to chuck myself out.
I mean, all I need is a change of clothes, my credit card, and the bike, right?

Axe Shirley, I'd rather just blow the cave-house up. Blardy thing pisses me off. Too much work, not enough playing with the bike / drinking beer. Luckily I'm not called Jack, or it'd make me dull.
Instead of just (what's the currently PC term?) ... ah yes - "suffering from a mental illness".

DEATH_INC.
8th December 2005, 19:07
If ya haven't sorted it yet I can have a look for ya.I'm based in manukau.

avgas
8th December 2005, 19:18
The Golden Rule:
Yeh i love that philosophy...mind due it didnt help my dad being fully ICI certed when i was youngin.... When you ask your dad what he did when you were 5, did he blowup the sandpid to show you....only to get your tonka scraper sitting on the neighbours roof? Mine did

froggyfrenchman
8th December 2005, 19:26
Im engineer! *smiles proudly*

Christ im pathetic

classic zed
8th December 2005, 22:38
they are tapered, as you screw it in if there is not too much of the bolt left it can spread it out locking it in.

Another tip is, if the bolt/stud in broken below the sutface drill out the first bit of thread in the hole as this will inevitably be damaged making the broken bit harder to get out.

A method I have used for years is to drill a hole in the broken stud, then hammer a "Torx" bit into it, they are very hard and bite into the stud and because they are not tapered they do not spread the broken stud. Never had it fail yet, give me a ring on 09 424 0477 ask for Tim, my garage is in Whangaparaoa, bring it over and I will do it for you.

If the thread is damaged I have metric "Time serts" to replace it.

JohnBoy
9th December 2005, 11:44
its probably not a huge help being in Auck's in all but the best guy i know is Steve at F1 Engineering in Hamilton. he has done some really awesome work for me and i am sure that he could help out... best of luck