PDA

View Full Version : Tips needed for more POWER!!~~ SUZUKI FXR

DJ DOOWOP
8th December 2005, 10:16
Ok I've had this bike for a while FXR 150 and am thirsty for more POWER!! I know the obviously FIX= Get a bigger bike but I can't until I get my full license, just sick of struggling over the Harbour Bridge!! SO any tips?
Riding style? Octane Boost? Exhuast? Petrol additives?...anything please

much appreciated!

:blip:

bugjuice
8th December 2005, 10:17
go on a diet.
or sell it and buy a 250

MidnightMike
8th December 2005, 10:21
How many K's has your fxr done coz im lookn 4 1.

kerryg
8th December 2005, 10:28
Ride it down a mineshaft

ManDownUnder
8th December 2005, 10:30
How long have you been riding...

"Getting a fix" and "getting fixed" often go hand in hand if you're not ready for it.

Failing that - yeah what the other guys said.
MDU

**R1**
8th December 2005, 11:29
Stick a Yamaha sticker on it, it should be good for an extra 5 Hp....:blip:

but in all honesty you could spend a fortune and not get much more power to show for it, the best option IMO is to sell and get a bigger bike.

Sniper
8th December 2005, 11:30
Drop it from the skytower. It should hit terminal velocity before it hits the ground

Postie
8th December 2005, 11:34
get a decent mountain bike, take the pedels off and stick them on the FXR. There is no point wasting any money on trying to get performance out of a non-performance bike. Grin and bear it or sell it and get a 250 till you get your full.

Sketchy_Racer
8th December 2005, 11:42
very easy to get more power..... go buy a honda XR250 carb... bolts staight on, and with jetting changes makes it go heaps faster.

After that cut the baffle out of the muffler or buy an after market one. (you have to bring them in from tailand or some shit.)

people who think they are crap probably havent ridden one.... they are a small light weight sporty bike, and i think very highly of them with those small mods:)

Ivan
8th December 2005, 11:53
or just buy an XL125 motor

phoenixgtr
8th December 2005, 11:55
Thanks RG100!!

Finally some positive feedback. I'm in the same boat. Had mine for three months and I'm already bored with the power. However, selling it and buying a 250 is not an option. I'm on a very tight budget so I've got this baby till I get my full. If I can spend a couple of hundred bucks here or there to make it more fun then great!

Sketchy_Racer
8th December 2005, 11:57
or just buy an XL125 motor

your an idiot

Sketchy_Racer
8th December 2005, 12:00
Thanks RG100!!

Finally some positive feedback. I'm in the same boat. Had mine for three months and I'm already bored with the power. However, selling it and buying a 250 is not an option. I'm on a very tight budget so I've got this baby till I get my full. If I can spend a couple of hundred bucks here or there to make it more fun then great!

if you keep an eye on TM you will be should be able to get a XR250 carb for mayby $50 on wards. To put it on you will need to have a new throttle cable made and will need to modify the pipe that goes from the airbox to the carb as the XR one is longer. oh and for the exaust. They are around but have fun finding one :lol:

phoenixgtr
8th December 2005, 13:10
Cheers

I'll definately keep it in mind. I think i'll try getting a carb first but it will be a slow process cause theres so many other things to get done

inlinefour
8th December 2005, 13:16
go on a diet.
or sell it and buy a 250

Or give it a motor transplant. Thats assuming the frame could hanle it...

kerryg
8th December 2005, 13:39
Mate, it's one of those "law of diminishing returns" things. Like my mate many years ago who spent every last cent hotting up his old Mark 3 Zephyr (planed head, Webers, free-flow exhaust, hot cam grind etc) ..and got easily blown away at the lights by a guy (actually ..it was me) in a bog standard 1200cc Toyota Corolla. Cheapest way to go significantly quicker is to buy a quicker machine, with very few exceptions. And investment in performance-improving modifications is usually a bad investment. It may diminish your bike's value even.

Ivan
8th December 2005, 14:19
Cheers

I'll definately keep it in mind. I think i'll try getting a carb first but it will be a slow process cause theres so many other things to get done

you got that cool foggy pic as your avatar got a link i love that picture so cool

crash harry
8th December 2005, 14:23
Sell it and buy a 2-stroke. Should be able to sell it and buy an RG150 and be cost neutral or better.

Then you get to make the cool ringa dinga ding noise!

Oakie
8th December 2005, 14:29
Helpful bunch aren't they ....

When I got my old FXR serviced for the first time, the service manager said there was a wee tweak they could do to give a little more power ... but more importantly it would overcome a wee flat spot when you rolled the throttle on from about 3000 rpm. It involved a larger jet and a fiddle with the carby.
Worked although it cost me about 3 kml in fuel efficiency. Talk to your Suzuki shop.

phoenixgtr
8th December 2005, 14:29
you got that cool foggy pic as your avatar got a link i love that picture so cool

Yeah. I thoght it was a crack up

Pure class

phoenixgtr
8th December 2005, 14:31

When I got my old FXR serviced for the first time, the service manager said there was a wee tweak they could do to give a little more power ... but more importantly it would overcome a wee flat spot when you rolled the throttle on from about 3000 rpm. It involved a larger jet and a fiddle with the carby.
Worked although it cost me about 3 kml in fuel efficiency. Talk to your Suzuki shop.

Cheers Oakie

Racey Rider
8th December 2005, 14:45
Check the brakes are retracting well. Should be able to hear them just touching when spinning the wheel. If they are binding too much, they are robbing you of HP. Clean out the calipers. Can't do it? Learn to do it! It's not hard.

Go to a non O ring chain. On small power bikes, even the friction of O rings can rob a bit of power.

Are the tyres at the right pressure. low pressure will create drag and can slow the bike.

Is the air filter clean? Blocked filter will make motor run rich/ down on power.

Is the throttle ajusted proberly? if not the carburator slide may not be fully open when throttle is twisted fully. - motor down on power.

Is there extra weight on the bike you don't need? Carrying stuff around that is not really needed today wastes motor power.

Is the sparkplug due for replacement? A worn tip or gap on the plug can cause weak spark. A weak spark can cause poor fuel burn, and less power from the motor.

Use 91 Octane unless you've had motor work done that requires a higher Octane.

and lastly, Hum the theme from TOP GUN while riding :msn-wink:

phoenixgtr
8th December 2005, 15:58
and lastly, Hum the theme from TOP GUN while riding :msn-wink:

That is some excellent advice

Thanks Racey Rider :niceone:

Phurrball
8th December 2005, 16:57
Kick back and enjoy the outrageous fuel economy!

Mrs P has an FXR - I've ridden it around a bit, it ain't that bad...

...especially as her fuel bill is half mine!!!

There is a link to an FXR site around on a KB thread somewhere - I remember reading something about feck all power meaning there was a diaphragm in need of attention...Here 'tis: http://www.fxr150.ws.net.nz/

Enjoy...

Racey Rider
8th December 2005, 18:40
That is some excellent advice

Thanks Racey Rider :niceone:

(Uh-hmm) rep points! (Cough, cough cough):wait:

hazard02
8th December 2005, 20:19
If its power at higher speeds you want then try riding with your head down. it takes away some of the drag but you look like a git. performance on an FXR is all about sacrifices.

thehollowmen
8th December 2005, 20:31
what RV100 said.
And if you've got a mechanically minded friend, do the calculations and plane the head and run 98.

Pathos
8th December 2005, 20:40

I idle my fxr at 3000 :P .

only drop below 7000 when coming to a stop...

if a fxr is too slow you need some better corners, but yeah not really designed for out of town.

don't scared to gas it to 10000 either, she loves it, you get through the gears far too fast if you keep it over 8000.

I wouldn't waste money on it, you can get a good price for a fxr in good condition and upgrade.

SuperDave
8th December 2005, 20:57
The FXR's a great first bike although I too felt the need for a bit more power after having it for a few months. But in saying this I would appreciate where it excells - the bike is very nimble and controllable and if you get some decent rubber fitted then you will be able to ride it flat out in some tight twisites and have a shitload of fun. Going fast in a straight line aint as exciting as blasting it along in corners suited to the bike.

You reckon it has a problem going over the harbour bridge? Sounds like you are riding it in the wrong gear at the wrong revs. I never had a problem going over the bridge - it does 100 easily and can do over 120 if you try.

Changing the size of the sprocket can help with a top end if thats what you are after. I had my rear sprocket changed and it only gave an extra 4kph on my top speed but it felt as though it 'opened up the gears' giving more from each gear.

FROSTY
8th December 2005, 21:18
i'd talk to the guys who bucket race FXR's --if anybody knows performance tweaks they will.
I weigh in at 75 kg and i've had 3 FXR's --Given they are only 150cc 4 strokes Im amazed they get 140km/h
I've been curious what would happen if a reverse cone megaphone exhaust and a GN250 carbie were fitted -the carb exterior looks the same a a gnu one.
Im wondering if theres enough room to deck the head a tadd to boost compression.
its a fun project I'd love to take on

thehollowmen
8th December 2005, 21:40
i'd talk to the guys who bucket race FXR's --if anybody knows performance tweaks they will.

why the hell didn't I think of that?

good work, bling to that man

Pathos
8th December 2005, 21:55
On my ride to Palmy and Back I tried some Mobil synergy 9800.. the moment it start feeding into the carbs it made the bike feel like it was riding just that bit easier.

I can take a while for the engine to really warm up around town, I find the engine really frees up once it does.

Sketchy_Racer
8th December 2005, 21:57
I weigh in at 75 kg and i've had 3 FXR's --Given they are only 150cc 4 strokes Im amazed they get 140km/h
I've been curious what would happen if a reverse cone megaphone exhaust and a GN250 carbie were fitted -the carb exterior looks the same a a gnu one.
Im wondering if theres enough room to deck the head a tadd to boost compression.
its a fun project I'd love to take on

this is what i have on my 'to do' list..... so far its been replacing carb and cutting out baffle (cutting the baffle improved power alot!) carb still needs correct jetting (only done to sound of bike) and soon the head will be coming off..... ream the valves (I think thay are leaking) plane the head (check valve/pistoon clearance while at it) and a genreal tidy up of the ports :)

after this i should be a happy camper with a fast bike :)

Sketchy_Racer
8th December 2005, 21:59
On my ride to Palmy and Back I tried some Mobil synergy 9800.. the moment it start feeding into the carbs it made the bike feel like it was riding just that bit easier.

I can take a while for the engine to really warm up around town, I find the engine really frees up once it does.

yeah i have the same thing with mine..... mabey its because there is such alot off metal around the engine (it is a very big engine for a 150) and there is a lot of oil to heat up to

FROSTY
8th December 2005, 22:12
I wonder how it would go with the muffler gona and a supertrap trail bike muffler on instead.
Wonder how clogged up the zorst ports are

Sketchy_Racer
9th December 2005, 09:14
thay are very very cloged up....well on mine they were!!

and a supertrap muff would be cool!! might have to get me one

FROSTY
10th December 2005, 09:33
I guess the other thing would be to loose the charging system
Definitely would make an interesting project
How would a flat slide carbie work I wonder??

Sketchy_Racer
10th December 2005, 12:47
i got a flat slide sorted for it now .... its of a DR200 (i think) ill try it out some time.... at the moment i am looking for a aftermarket muffler to put on... the stocker weighs a ton!!

gav
10th December 2005, 22:20
:innocent:

Sketchy_Racer
10th December 2005, 23:11
ok, thats kinda random.. lol

Rathelm
14th December 2005, 08:40
I heard that adding 10ml of pure acetone to the tank can be a bit of a boost. Wouldn't do it on an older bike tho, some of the fuel seals might not like it.

snuffles
14th December 2005, 08:48
Ok I've had this bike for a while FXR 150 and am thirsty for more POWER!! I know the obviously FIX= Get a bigger bike but I can't until I get my full license, just sick of struggling over the Harbour Bridge!! SO any tips?
Riding style? Octane Boost? Exhuast? Petrol additives?...anything please

much appreciated!

:blip:

get a real bike:angry:

clint640
14th December 2005, 11:45
I heard that CSL made a hot cam for the FXR, (no, really!) they were allowed in the streetstock class to make the 4 strokes more competitive against the KRs & RGs. From the 1/2 lap gap between the FXR's & the rest of the pack at the races I've seen it didn't work too well.

It'll still be a 150 anyway. Unless you've got the skills do do all the work yourself save yer cash for a bigger bike.

Cheers
Clint

Sniper
14th December 2005, 11:59
I still reckon throwing it from a building will make it fast

hXc
14th December 2005, 12:27
Drop a 250 top end on it if you can find one that fits.
Lose some weight.
Get an XR200/250 carb for it.
Do some porting.
Lose the stock exhaust.
Better tires.

Or if all else fails...Buy a 250 and bucket the FXR

Smorg
14th December 2005, 16:52
Dont go out for a ride unless you've got a tail wind...............
or the old favourite GET A 250!!!

number33
14th December 2005, 20:17
Fill a fire-extinguisher with nitrous, shove a braided brake hose from bottle to manifold, fire the whole goddamned thing off for an extra 50 horses when needed.