PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Welding Skills Required

LB
5th March 2004, 06:14
After an incident at the Lower Hutt Riverbank Carpark last night, Celticno6 needs some titanium welding done :sweatdrop . Is anyone able to assist him?

Celticno6 - I'll let you post the details.

wkid_one
5th March 2004, 06:34
I'll bite - what happened?

Blackbird
5th March 2004, 06:36
After an incident at the Lower Hutt Riverbank Carpark last night, Celticno6 needs some titanium welding done :sweatdrop . Is anyone able to assist him?

Celticno6 - I'll let you post the details.

Hi Lynda
Sorry that I don't know anyone in the Wellington area but just a word of warning for Celtic if he isn't already aware. Titanium welding should NOT be done by cowboys. Titanium picks up oxygen at quite low temperatures and becomes brittle. You need to flood the weld area with high purity argon and the break has to be scrupulously clean (acetone solvent is good) and free of lint from cleaning materials. All this means avoiding a back yard job. Find a reputable outfit which works in the chemical industry. If he's really stuffed, get Celtic to send me a PM.

Cheers

Geoff

riffer
5th March 2004, 07:18
Yeah thanks Lynda.

For those that Lynda hasn't told yet, my glasses came apart in my hands last night. Broke in the middle (the bit that sits on your nose)

I had a most interesting ten minute ride back home to Upper Hutt with my glasses moving around my helmet.

In the end I just took them off, prayed to my guardian angels and wound back the throttle.

Amazing how you can get home by what you remember of the road when you can't see a (*&(ing thing :argh:

But yeah, I've got TWO pairs of glasses broken in the middle now. I must stop buying those sodding titanium frames.

Actually, to tell the truth, I MUST stop showing off my bendy titanium framed glasses - cause the bastards only seem to bend for so long - and always break right when you are showing how they work.

Methinks a call to my insurance broker is on the cards today.

georgedubyabush
5th March 2004, 08:14
My eyes are pretty crap too. I wear lenses but often they dry out when I ride, maybe I forget to blink. Eye problems suck. I wouldn't fancy my chances of making it home as you did. It was only 10 minutes from home and no-one could pillion you for a mercy dash?

riffer
5th March 2004, 08:18
My eyes are pretty crap too. I wear lenses but often they dry out when I ride, maybe I forget to blink. Eye problems suck. I wouldn't fancy my chances of making it home as you did. It was only 10 minutes from home and no-one could pillion you for a mercy dash?
Nah. I'm tough buddy. :sly:

or maybe just stupid.

White trash
5th March 2004, 08:29

Or maybe the company he was with was of such a level as to indicate it safer to ride blind :sly:

Be a sick person ever to get on the back of the six hundy!

riffer
5th March 2004, 08:51
Or maybe the company he was with was of such a level as to indicate it safer to ride blind :sly: Absolutely not! The company was great.

Good to meet you all - looking forward to next time. And Trash - those Alstare's a niiiiice bikes.

It wasn't so bad riding home. With my glasses off everythings a bit more blurry and shimmery but still okay to ride, provided I kept the speed down. I've been riding those roads for 22 years now.

Hoon
5th March 2004, 10:00
Can't you just take it into an optometrist and get them sent away?

riffer
5th March 2004, 10:03
Can't you just take it into an optometrist and get them sent away?
No, there's no place in the country that will do it. Uneconomic to try.

Besides Vero are coming to the party. $100 excess under house contents insurance.

Gini is very happy about it. She's hated those glasses and now she gets to help me choose some nice ones. She wants me to look a little more "sophisticated", whatever that means.

aff-man
5th March 2004, 10:17
Yes i have to agree with white trash. I went on the back of CK's gixxer 600 and even though he was taking it easy lets just say at times it was a bit "interesting". As to the glasses won't a bit of white electrical tape do the job :lol:

riffer
5th March 2004, 10:24
As to the glasses won't a bit of white electrical tape do the job :lol:
hahahaha

ask Jumbo and Hamish (Lynda's husband) - tried that last night. Dismal failure. The frames are really, really thin.

Besides aff-man - why would I want to look like an absolute geek? :disapint:

I do have other glasses and contacts. Best to just get new glasses. :)

If I can find someone who can weld titanium though, I can resurrect two pairs of glasses.

Hitcher
5th March 2004, 10:27
Yeah thanks Lynda.

For those that Lynda hasn't told yet, my glasses came apart in my hands last night. Broke in the middle (the bit that sits on your nose)

I had a most interesting ten minute ride back home to Upper Hutt with my glasses moving around my helmet.

In the end I just took them off, prayed to my guardian angels and wound back the throttle.

Amazing how you can get home by what you remember of the road when you can't see a (*&(ing thing :argh:

But yeah, I've got TWO pairs of glasses broken in the middle now. I must stop buying those sodding titanium frames.

Actually, to tell the truth, I MUST stop showing off my bendy titanium framed glasses - cause the bastards only seem to bend for so long - and always break right when you are showing how they work.

Methinks a call to my insurance broker is on the cards today.

Celtic

If you need professional assistance, my brother has an optometry practice on The Terrace (opposite the Woodward Street bike park, conveniently enough) and will be able to provide you with advice and options. If you need details, send me a PM.

LB
5th March 2004, 18:15
Yeah thanks Lynda.

Sorry celticno6, I simply couldn't resist winding you up.....

Just to explain to those who weren't party to this little scenario, I was skiting about my $699.95 (not a typo) Oakley Ducati sunnies to celticno6 and a couple of others. celtic took off his glasses saying "here's MY $700.00 pair of glasses" and they broke in the middle. I laughed like shit because I thought it was his "party trick" ie that they were supposed to come apart.

Well celtic, I guess you're getting a new pair of glasses out of it for $100.00.....will be keen to see the "new sophisticated" version!!

pete376403
5th March 2004, 19:46
I thought titanium could take a lot of bending - a mate had a Merlin (mountain) bike with a ti frame. The rear suspension worked by a small spring/damper up at the base of the seat tube, and the pivot was the bottom tubes flexing. He got a good 5 years off-road riding out of this before it finally broke, and Merlin replaced the frame FOC, because it wasn't supposed to break that soon.

matthewt
6th March 2004, 00:59
As to the glasses won't a bit of white electrical tape do the job :lol:

If they were broken in the middle then a bit of tape would probably work nicely. But breaking then on the left side near the rim makes the tape thing pretty hard to work, as seen when the left side feel out of the tape in less than 10 seconds.

It was quite funny, I think Celticno6 was in the middle of saying "See these don't break!!" when it snapped.

Lynda: you must be making the marketing team at Bologna HQ very happy!! I shudder to think what you'd do if ever faced with a "real" selection of Ducati goodies.

LB
6th March 2004, 03:59
Lynda: you must be making the marketing team at Bologna HQ very happy!! I shudder to think what you'd do if ever faced with a "real" selection of Ducati goodies.
Hamish very rarely says "no" to anything I suggest, but when I subtly dropped into the conversation about a trip to Italy and the Ducati factory shop, the reaction was a very quick and definite "no"!

I guess I've left myself wide open on this one......

wari
6th March 2004, 15:50
have you tried knead it ... good shit that :doobey:

Motu
6th March 2004, 17:20
Yeah,kneadit,fixed my reading glasses with that - saved me spending another $9.95 at the wharehouse for some more....uh...not that I need glasses you understand - I put them on and look down my nose at my boys...scares the shit outa them and they do as they're told.

matthewt
6th March 2004, 23:35
I subtly dropped into the conversation about a trip to Italy and the Ducati factory shop, the reaction was a very quick and definite "no"!

The factory itself doesn't have much apart from a few things in the Muesum. I think in another part of Bologna there is a shop with EVERYTHING !!! The Muesum director was giving me directions on how to get there but we ran out of time, I suppose at the end of the day the shop in the MECCA of all things Ducati it must be amazing.

Blackbird
7th March 2004, 16:23
At least it wasn't anything expensive on your bike Celtic :laugh:

Mind you, specs are darned expensive too. I have some rimless Jaguars which are hanging on with a wing and prayer cos I shudder to think what an optometrist will charge to fix 'em!
:soon:

riffer
7th March 2004, 20:50
Yeah but if it was my bike it would probably be fixed by now, Blackbird.

But Titanium welding ... on flexible titanium frames? How the hell do you weld FLEXIBLE titanium, especially when its only 1mm thick, if that.

Stuffit, I'm gonna go see hitcher's bro and see 'bout some new ones.

In the mean time, its contacts. Not looking forward to that, I work in a positive-pressure air-conditioned environment controlled environment which dries out my eyes to hell...

Oh well, at least its always 22 degrees at work...;)