PDA

View Full Version : quick question b4 I go to sleep

KLOWN
10th December 2005, 00:48
I want to go on coast to coast ride tomorrow but I have been riding less than a month and never with other bikers. Should I wait till i get more experiance or is it not that vital to know what im up to?

N4CR
10th December 2005, 01:03
Just take it slow and at your own pace, to learn what to do in situations pretty much requires you to have been in them before (eg sliding or somethign), they cannot be simulated. There has to be some first time eh! Go do it, take it at your own pace, don't try catching up and try have a buddy rider that you can stick around with.

Have fun.

Mooch
10th December 2005, 01:11
also remember your road code about riding in groups (staggered formation etc) and allow plenty of room between yourself and the bikes in front (two seconds or more). Check your mirrors more frequently as well.

MoFunthanmost
10th December 2005, 02:00
take it at your own pace, don't try catching up and try have a buddy rider that you can stick around with.

What he said.

Have fun.

:yes: ditto.

Dafe
10th December 2005, 05:45
Experience? Some people are just natural. Rossi was!
Just remember that when you lead from the front, do pull up and wait every now and then for the other riders to catch up. Don't push too far ahead, your bike being 150cc wouldn't guzzle as much gas as the thousands, so also take into consideration that the thous will be stopping at gas stations more often, hence why you may find yourself waiting for them for some longer periods.
Otherwise, just enjoy the ride. Don't spend all day waiting for the pack, be sure to open the bike up on the straights and have a thrill.
I guess you've taken the L-Plate off so you can gain an extra 40k from the reduced wind resistance?
:D

Divot
10th December 2005, 08:57
I want to go on coast to coast ride tomorrow but I have been riding less than a month and never with other bikers. Should I wait till i get more experiance or is it not that vital to know what im up to?

Go for it! If you wait untill you get more experiance you will never get that experiance.

Beemer
10th December 2005, 11:02
Too late for you now, but I did the Coast to Coast a week after getting my full licence back in 1999 and I survived. I went at my own pace, wasn't last, and apart from getting overtaken by two idiots (who subsequently crashed) who went on the inside AND the outside of me on a corner, I didn't have any scary moments. I did feel quite stiff and tired after the ride though, because I'd ridden up from Otaki to take part in the ride, and then ridden all the way home by myself afterwards.

I don't bother doing the ride now, for me it's one of those "been there, done that" rides that I don't feel the compulsion to do again.

KLOWN
10th December 2005, 15:28
cheers for the advice guys, as it happened I couldn't go cause I was busy but I went for a ride by myself at about 10:30 and happened across the ride so I turned around and joined in for about 30min untill I needed to go home.
It was great fun and I saw some really cool bikes. Everyone was good about overtaking me, no scarey moments and it helped me with my skills being able to follow more experianced riders.

danb
11th December 2005, 00:01
Well....
I did SH22 (first ride) not so long after getting my bike. It happened - I binned, but I learnt alot from it. (The ride in general I enjoyed, Have to admit it is still not nice seeing you pride and joy on its side!)
All I can say after the previous post is watch out for the darn gravel.