PDA

View Full Version : Yup. Binned it.

John Banks
10th December 2005, 12:34
I came off my bike going along the NW motorway. I can't really remember what happened, I'm just piecing together what I was told by the witnesses and the state of my gear. It seems a car in front of me pulled an emergency brake, causing me to slam on my own anchors a bit too hard. My first memory of it is me sliding along the motorway on my chest.
The van behind me and a car in front had stopped and got out. The two guys in the van behind said they were bikers too. They picked up the old Honda and wheeled it to the side of the road while the lady guided me over. After asking if I wanted a lift (I said no, didn't want to leave the bike and I didn't think I was injured), they both left.
I called up TIE to see if I could get any help, unfortunately I chose the day his ute was in pieces to crash. But he called up crashe and Frosty to help. A police car showed up while Strat was calling me (I was supposed to meet with him for a ride) and wrote out a crash report, and put a big yellow sticker on the back of my bike. He also called out an ambo, which came along, asked me to squeeze his hand, then buggered off.
crashe arrived shortly after and with the help of a random biker that stopped (big respect to that guy, I gave him a sticker with the site address on, so hopefully we'll see him soon) we got the gear lever bent out, started the bike up and moved it up to the grass bank on the onramp.
It was an amusing two hours waiting. Swamprat stopped, and a few other bikers stopped to check everything was OK. We had a little picnic on the side of the motorway (my neck is sunburnt now - seems when you crash, not too many people have sun block in the emergency kits :lol:) until Frosty arrived with his van. We headed over to his place, and he replaced the handlebars and indicators for me to get it road-worthy again - well, sort of road-worthy. I was still a tad shocked while I was standing around and he was pulling apart my bike, so I wasn't the most talkative fella. He dropped me and the bike around at my place and I got someone to take me to the A&E. To be honest, I wasn't expecting so much waiting there. I left for the A&E at 8pm, arrived home at 5am. Apart from some very minor gravel rash, it looks like I've fractured my wrist, so I will probably be in a cast for 4 weeks. It's a bastard trying to type all this out with one hand in a cast.

Big thanks to everyone who helped out, and especially to crashe, who wasted several hours of her time waiting on the motorway with me, and to Frosty, who was unimaginably helpful - even just picking me up was beyond the call of duty, but he went and fixed the bike, too!

Unfortunately I'll be out of riding for a while, but hopefully I can get the bike fixed for when the cast comes off and get back out there as soon as possible.

boomer
10th December 2005, 12:43
Good to see your ok and big ups to the 'nice' folk out there :yes:

Wasp
10th December 2005, 12:44
bad luck mate. good to see you ok.

got any pics of your bike? (before the crash) im just curious as to how close it looks to my vtz250

Kornholio
10th December 2005, 12:46
Bummer man... hope you get back on your wheels soon :D

cowpoos
10th December 2005, 13:09
rep to frosty and crashe....what good pair of buggars these two are...

Scorpygirl
10th December 2005, 13:43
Bugger mate!! :angry: You will be counting down the days to when you get your cast off and can get back on the bike again. Crashe and Frosty are certainly great KBers!!! :2thumbsup

FROSTY
10th December 2005, 14:02
Proof that good gear is a lifesaver once again-No leg damage because of the padding
I really like ya idea of the Nekkid bike bit.:niceone:
I'll be more than happy to pull the front out of the ol gal and get the forks straightened if needed--Mostly i'd love ta see ya bike as a Nekkid.
It turns out I might be able to get my hands on the bits ya need --Off of a CBX250 -thatll give ya indicators,all the brackets and a headlight

Badcat
10th December 2005, 14:09
glad you're not badly hurt.
good on you for wearing adequate gear.
glad you're still with us.

ken

T.I.E
10th December 2005, 14:26
yep if ya need a hand putting anything back on glad to lend a hand, and good to see ya alright. i might have to pillion you around for a bit. lol.

p.s the utes gear box is poked.

metric
10th December 2005, 14:47
bummer dude... sorry to hear about the bin, good to hear you're alright

Leong
10th December 2005, 15:06
Glad to hear you're not too badly hurt, given it happened on the motorway!! It could have been worse - maybe that thought can help you get through the next 4 weeks in the cast!!

And the help you got from Crashe and Frosty. and from T.I.E about your first lot of gear... There are some really good people here!!

Gixxer 4 ever
10th December 2005, 15:12
Ouch......Glad to hear you are ok. Take care and it is great to have a suport group like KB......:2thumbsup

danb
10th December 2005, 17:47
Darn - Not good news - Hope you are on 2 Wheels again soon and not put off by your mishap. Cheers Crashe and Frosty and others for there help.

flash
10th December 2005, 17:53
gees dude that sucks, hope you get better soon ;)

Deviant Esq
10th December 2005, 18:06
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your bin - what on earth was that cage driver doing, making an emergency brake on the motorway?? :bash:

Glad to hear you're all in one piece, and props to Frosty and crashe for looking after you! :hug:

flash
10th December 2005, 18:11
i may of missed it but how fast were you going?

sunhuntin
10th December 2005, 18:11
glad to hear you werent worse hurt...big ups to everyone who stopped to help. hope you get back out there soon!

crashe
10th December 2005, 19:42
Hi JB,

Mate it wasnt wasting a couple of hours lying around on the side of the motorway, I was also trying to get a nice suntan.... :rofl:

I was totally concerned for your welfare and safety.

Yep the gear saved you from getting some more nasty injuries....
And they were so brand new as well.
I am so glad that you got your helmet changed to the correct size as well....
otherwise your chin and face could have looked really bad.

Rest up.... and can I please sign your cast.

Cheers to Frosty for fixing your bike as well...
He is one good dude.

So when you can get back on your bike again..
do you want to go for another ride out with T.I.E. and me again...?

Divot
10th December 2005, 21:43
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your bin - what on earth was that cage driver doing, making an emergency brake on the motorway?? :bash:

Glad to hear you're all in one piece, and props to Frosty and crashe for looking after you! :hug:

You have never driven on the motorways in auckland. everyone follow at a bout quarter the distance required. When they have to stop more often they use the car infront to stop.

Colapop
10th December 2005, 21:53
See? Now I wish those people who've 'left' the site could see this thread and see the community that is here.
JB take some time out good to hear you're not too badly beat up (and the bike), and Crashe you deserve a decent tan, everyone else Merry Christmas. (I'm not even drinking!)

Deviant Esq
10th December 2005, 22:14
'tis true, I haven't driven on Aucks motorways. But now I think about it, in the times I've been there... I know what you mean. Still, hope the fracture doesn't hinder you too much in the meantime... and back to the bike again soon :)

korowetere
10th December 2005, 22:20
John, sorry to hear about this man. Hope you heal up 100% and get back on the bike. Hope to join you on a newbie's ride in the New Year.

The ex-Minister of Maori Affairs.

John Banks
11th December 2005, 13:30
Haha, yes crashe, you can sign my cast, but you'll need to come and see me first.

and Divot, most of the time on the motorways I keep a very large following distance, precisely because I knew that sometimes cars like to brake hard for no reason. It just seems that my reaction was completely wrong.

korowetere, definately. I'm hoping to get everything fixed and back on the bike asap.

Highlander
11th December 2005, 13:46
Hey JB,

1) Not good to hear about your oops, best pleased to hear that the damage is superficial.

2) You can type with 2 hands? - I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Divot
11th December 2005, 15:00
and Divot, most of the time on the motorways I keep a very large following distance, precisely because I knew that sometimes cars like to brake hard for no reason. It just seems that my reaction was completely wrong.

Hey Banksy, didn't mean you but all the cages out there. Work on the motorway and see it all the time. Been knocked of my self once riding home from work car infront stops I stop the can behind didn't. Lucky it was at 11:30 at night, one lane flowing through some road works