PDA

View Full Version : Arthurs Pass gas stops?

jonbuoy
10th December 2005, 16:15
Hi everyone just joined this site, have met a few people on the road who rave about it so here I am. I have two questions:-

Q1) Was wondering if anyone here knows if I can get petrol in Arthurs Pass?? I'm planning a trip down south from Auckland over the christmas break. I've got a VTR1000 so my tank range is pathetic (140kms and I have to start looking....160km's and I'm pushing!) Also I've heard some stations in remote areas have poor quality fuel (rust/water in it) is this true?

Q2) Why do my posts show me as a learner rider??

Any advise would be great.

Cheers

Waylander
10th December 2005, 16:19
Don't know about the first one but the answer to question 2 can be found here.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=747

Welcome to the site

TLDV8
10th December 2005, 16:33
There are gas stations either side of the pass..i think there might be one in the middle too? but the South Island posters will know for sure.... That seems likes fairly heavy consumption,was thinking the VTR was similar to the TL1000 at around 190 kms until the first fuel light if you don't push it to hard?

Jeff da maori
10th December 2005, 16:34
yep you can get petrol at the pass and I think your a learner when you first join this site.

gav
10th December 2005, 22:53
Not sure when they changed but the first firestorms only had a 16 litre tank, later models had a 19 litre tank, but those 48mm carbs sure suck the gas hard, those distances seem right :yes:

FlyingDutchMan
11th December 2005, 09:30
I just went through there yesterday. They normally sell petrol, but they're re-doing the whole side of the road there so I couldn't tell if they're still there and operational. But tank up at springfield on the way over and I think its about 150ks from there to Kumara. Defo petrol station there, so you should be safe.

R1madness
11th December 2005, 09:44
Yes there is petrol at Arthurs pass township. If you get there and noone is around you can ring the after hours number and someone (usually) comes down and opens the pump (for an exorbinate amount of money).

TLDV8
11th December 2005, 11:32
I don't know about VTR's but 140 kms on a tank seems a little over the top ?.... even with a 16 litre tank and allowing 2 for a reserve thats around 10km/l from 14 litres or 27mpg..What about when you spank it,or is that the lowest figure ? ... i thought the TL's 190 k if you take it easy was a pita.:slap::confused:

Zapf
11th December 2005, 14:34
from memory they have... its at the general store / cafe... its expensive... and also might be older... but if it'll get you home... why not buy a few liters.

jonbuoy
11th December 2005, 15:07
Ok Thanks everyone should make it on one tank then. 140 - 150 KMs before red light honest, ask other stormers (with the olde small tank!) I fill on the side of caution esp if I'm a long way from home! It might be a bit better than that if I take it easy, not much though. I have sucked shite in through the Carbys before when running it on reserve, ran like a pig for a while afters.. Keep meaning to flush the tank out but its such a bitch fight to get it off - how awkward are those fuel lines!!?? Its a shame they put such a small tank on what would be an awesome touring bike. Hopefully the new storm there working on will have all the glitches fixed - won't be able to afford one till they get to the 2nd hand market tho.

Monkeyboy
19th December 2005, 22:01
A bit of a late reply but here's my tuppenceworth! From memory you can stop for gas in Kumara which is west of Arthurs Pass, closer to the coast and then the next stop east of Arthurs pass is either Springfield or Sheffield I always get the two mixed up, but you'll easily make it there as long as you gas up in Arthurs'.

As far as fuel consumption goes, I have a 2003 Firestorm with a 19 litre tank. I use it to go to work every day, two fangs a month to Akaroa and about two to three big trips a year. I get about 200 km before the red fuel bar starts flashing. When I fill up, I find that I have "only" used 14 litres which means I could have got about another 50 to 60 km's out of the tank.

My 2001 R1 was VERY economical, I used to get 270 km and some, out of a tank easily on a long trip. Yes I sold an R1 for a Firestorm!!! A sin I know, but my back couldn't take any more and it's too much power for the road and I had a couple of rear wheel spins exiting corners, never had that problem with my CBR600 nor do I with the VTR

Cheers

:ride:

tl_tub
19th December 2005, 22:08
I just thought I would chime in here. In the week I had my vtr, on a trip from palmerston north to tauranga I travelled 190kms and did not see a fuel light.
I was riding at 120kph on average and in top gear most of the time - probably not the same pace as any other vtr riders - just call me grandma :rolleyes:
Mine was the smaller tank.

geoffc
20th December 2005, 22:10
I've did that Arthurs Pass ride on my Firestorm across to Westcoast last December. 2001 model with 16L tank. There is petrol at the shop there and again at Kumara. No problems bro. Great trip. Cheers

Sniper
21st December 2005, 07:24
There is a petrol stop (yes I know it has been said before) but you have to leave your lid at the counter while you fill

SpeedyGirl
21st December 2005, 07:28
I just thought I would chime in here. In the week I had my vtr, on a trip from palmerston north to tauranga I travelled 190kms and did not see a fuel light.
I was riding at 120kph on average and in top gear most of the time - probably not the same pace as any other vtr riders - just call me grandma :rolleyes:
Mine was the smaller tank.

GRANDMA!!!!:bleh:

jonbuoy
22nd December 2005, 21:03
Thanks for the info - Nah I don't like letting it run low after the time I sucked shit in, really should scrub the tank out. I think the bike musta been stored for a while in Japland maybe.
Hopefully this Fecking weather will clear up by next week.

190KM is a fine range for a small tank VTR - tho - I guess tank range should be a lot better for me touring as opposed to fanging it. I'll have to be a bit smoother with the right hand anyway.:finger:

Cheers everyone.

jonbuoy
22nd December 2005, 21:04
Didn't realise that little feller pulls the finger at first - thought he was jus giving a cheerfull wave!

Sniper
22nd December 2005, 21:12
No worries, just edit your post and put :*wavey: instead of :*finger: (There are no asterix's though.)

Asher
18th April 2012, 15:03
Resurrecting this old post to please the bandwidth nazi's

I went on a fun ride to Arthurs Pass today, before i left i checked the distance being 80ish kms from Springfield, thinking if i filled up there i would be pushing it making it to Arthurs Pass and back on a full tank so i googled "Arthurs Pass petrol station" a few results came back so figured there was defiantly a station there.
So i arrive at Arthurs Pass, ride through it looking for some pumps, none to be seen.
I made it back to Springfield with around half a litre left in the tank luckily.

So i used google again to check if there was a station and it says there is a station a bit before Arthurs Pass but when i looked on street view it was a empty field and the link sent me the DOC website.

So is there a petrol station there and im just blind? Its a really fun road and i would like to do it again without worrying about running out of gas

PirateJafa
18th April 2012, 15:04
The cafe has a gas pump, you will need to go inside to pre-pay, or at least ask the lady at the register to activate the pump for ya.

Asher
18th April 2012, 15:12
The cafe has a gas pump, you will need to go inside to pre-pay, or at least ask the lady at the register to activate the pump for ya.

:facepalm:

Which cafe? One of the two in the main part of the town?

JATZ
18th April 2012, 15:21
:facepalm:

Which cafe? One of the two in the main part of the town?

On the left as your heading towards the pass, big place...got a gas pump outside it...:facepalm:

or just take a small tin of gas with you

Hitcher
18th April 2012, 21:54
Any advise would be great.

Learn the difference between advise and advice.

Transalper
18th April 2012, 22:11
It's the 'Arthurs Pass Store'

Google map street view shows it here (pump included). (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?q=arthurs+pass&hl=en&ll=-42.939297,171.561671&spn=0.001384,0.003272&hq=arthurs+pass&radius=15000&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=-42.9394,171.561714&panoid=TQcTIChvwVIfaGAUJu1Q8g&cbp=12,283.09,,0,11)

It's a pain in the ass on a busy day.
:done:

Asher
18th April 2012, 22:15
Thanks, i can see how i missed it, i was looking for a proper station

jonbuoy
19th April 2012, 02:06
Learn the difference between advise and advice.

:motu: Hitcher and his egotistical spelling crusade stoops to a new low, correcting errors from seven years ago. You really are a knob jockey. I hope I didnīt make any grammar errors that you can highlight and masturbate over. Maybe you should learn some basic human interaction skills.

jrandom
19th April 2012, 05:11
Hitcher and his egotistical spelling crusade stoops to a new low, correcting errors from seven years ago. You really are a knob jockey.

9zI3_pnUU3k

jonbuoy
19th April 2012, 05:19
You searched that out just for little old me :love:

jrandom
19th April 2012, 05:20
You searched that out just for little old me

Feel the love, brother biker.

Timber020
19th April 2012, 20:57
I was on a VTR doing arthurs a couple weekends back. Jeez they have a small tank when your having fun. I went past the fuel stop twice before I spotted it.

jimichelle
20th April 2012, 13:31
about 1.5 mtrs long just incase they run out
but gas in springfield wil take you through to kumara
unless your on an hd iron

jrandom
20th April 2012, 13:39
gas in springfield wil take you through to kumara

I got from Springfield to Kumara on my Nightster in Jan without too much hassle. It's not much above a hundred miles, is it?

Go easy on the throttle and 12.5L will give you 200km on the 1200.

The 883 Iron has the same tank size, right? Surely the fuel economy's not actually worse.

Asher
20th April 2012, 13:48
I dont have the room to carry much on my bike, i do carry a 1 bottle of petrol with me and a bit of cash after running out with out my wallet but that 1L is only good for another 10km
I find it best just to google the distance and check that there is fuel on the way.

jim.cox
20th April 2012, 14:45
The Arthurs Pass store has pretty much the most expensive fuel in the country

91 and diesel only

And then they sting you with a 15% public holiday surcharge

Ah the joys of a monopoly

Timber020
21st April 2012, 15:55

91 and diesel only

Its cheap if your contemplating pushing. I would have paid $5 a litre rather than be stranded

Virago
21st April 2012, 19:38

91 and diesel only

Rural petrol stations are making so much money, they're closing down in droves...

Virago
21st April 2012, 19:59
:motu: Hitcher and his egotistical spelling crusade stoops to a new low, correcting errors from seven years ago. You really are a knob jockey. I hope I didnīt make any grammar errors that you can highlight and masturbate over. Maybe you should learn some basic human interaction skills.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/54686-Pointless-drivel-posts?p=1130307635#post1130307635 :innocent:

Jerry74
22nd April 2012, 09:25
Gas up on the coast and fill at springfield as Arthurs pass is about 20c more a litre for petrol.

jonbuoy
22nd April 2012, 09:36
about 1.5 mtrs long just incase they run out
but gas in springfield wil take you through to kumara

For what? Syphoning from a passing car? You would need a container as well, car tank is lower than a bike tank.

Kickaha
22nd April 2012, 09:38
You mean there are bikes which get less than 320km to a tank of gas?

jimichelle
26th April 2012, 08:44
For what? Syphoning from a passing car? You would need a container as well, car tank is lower than a bike tank.no another bike works well takes a bit of time though i keep my tube in a small coke bottle