PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki zx6r and zx7r (96-ish)

Gremlin
10th December 2005, 16:52
OK, so in the process of looking for an upgrade from the zzr250, you have to ride some bikes :yes: So, having been into Mt Eden to sit on some of the bikes to have an idea of what fits, and interrogating Mike about the history of Ninjas... I can't decide between nimble (the 6) or more space (the 7)

So yesterday, Friday, having the day off I decide to find out which might be better for me. Mt Eden are happy for me to have a go and the 6 is rolled out first (I thought it was logical to start with the smaller first, having ridden only John Wright's CB250, and my zzr250).

Being a little scared by the $1500 if I can't get it back in one piece, and never ridden anything big before, slow riding on well-known roads is called for. Asking nicely, I'm able to go out to through Beachlands, Maraetai and Clevedon and back. Excellent test of hills, cornering, overtaking etc.

Need to be very careful, position is foreign, being quite forward. A quick blip of the throttle confirms the waiting power, the needle leaps up the dial and back, faster than you can say "Oh She-ite". Ease out into traffic, Allun has said there is diesel on the SE Highway, so the back route it is.

Initially it is difficult, being a bit awkward. However, the bike pulls from 3.5k ish, not huge power, but easily enough for tootling. Onto Tamaki Drive, I realised how potent it was. It was enormously difficult to keep it under 60 (the zone being 50 :wait: ). A little overtaking while getting into the country proved enormous roll-on, often not even necessary to shift down a gear.

I was still changing as quickly as a 250, which is why I felt there was no engine braking. Front brake didn't seem to be quite as strong in the initial stages as I would have liked, but the power!!! Cars were turned into nuisances, capable of being passed within a second :2thumbsup

I thought there was power at 5-6k when still in the city... then I hit 8k when passing in the country... next nanosecond I was holding for dear life, grabbing at anything to stop accelerating like that :eek5: I normally upshifted then back off.... crikey it was fast. Hills didn't exist either. Body positioning was more raked than the zzr, but I could still sit upright, but the bike was just big enough, with my knees just touching the fairing when riding normally.

Handling is quickish, but not as nimble (expectedly so)

With nervous, shaking hands I got off the bike at Mt Eden... onto the zx7r :blip:

MSTRS
10th December 2005, 17:11
Careful, Grasshopper, the DarkSide has you in it's sights.

Gremlin
10th December 2005, 17:21
Mt Eden had 3, the first didn't want to start (apparently they don't like sitting for weeks on end, more so than most bikes). The second eventually started, but on the route out of the city, I realised the speedo wasn't working and based on my previous experience with the 6, that would really not be a good idea :lol:

Back again to the shop. The 3rd was eventually started up by Mike (Chris stated he was over them :laugh:). I got up the road towards Khyber Pass, then it suddenly died under power and wouldn't start. Rolled it back down to the shop. It was not fun on a hot, sunny day in full gear pushing a bike weighing just over 200kg for 100m. Further, and I might have died :lol:

Turned out the fuel had been turned to the off position :no: Anyway, a little worried that perhaps I was being given a message, I set out again. Positioning, I was far more stretched over the bike, with it feeling far more bulky. Also difficult making it move under its own steam at low revs and manoeuvring into traffic, being heavy.

Getting out of the city, I was hit with early rush hour (being a Friday) and it was then I realised just how much of a race/track bike this was. Getting off the line was difficult until you eased the clutch out and gave a little power. It was fine for a half second, then it would accelerate fast... as in almost into the vehicle in front :no: The lack of ear plugs didn't help with a tremendously loud Muzzy exhaust, which was only loud if the clutch wasn't engaged (ie. most of the time, from 2k onwards)

Out in the suburbs, the exhaust was awesome, cars were moving over, slowing down letting me filter past (note: rolling the throttle on to overtake will result in a minimum increase of 20km/h). So much fun with everyone looking over their shoulder to look for the noise :devil2:

Getting into the country, the exhaust quietened down (probably because I left the noise behind :doobey: ). I didn't find a powerband as such, it simply always had power. The 6 could reach 140 easy when overtaking, this would reach 160-ish in the same blink. Hills didn't mean snot to it, I could accelerate whenever I liked, in whichever gear I was in too *drools*

Overtaking.... mmmm yes well... I didn't have to plan or anything, I was able to overtake where normally I couldn't, cars were literally overtaken in a second. Handling was superb. The bike has apparently been fitted with 2 grand of Ohlins rear, and it has braided brake lines. When getting back to the shop, it was with shock I had reduced the chicken strips on the rear to 10mm. This was despite taking it real easy, and sometimes not catching up with cars... scary stuff. The bike must have been really confidence inspiring, I never felt like I was even close to the limit. Brakes were strong as well, which I would hope, as it was hauling up 300kg in short times.

Acceleration was so strong, that when I rolled on a decent amount, I literally slid back in my seat and started holding on with the handlebars, even when I tried to hold on with my knees.

Body positioning: I paid for the zzr position to put it bluntly. Not being used to such a stretched position, a lot of my weight was over the bars, as I was not automatically using my knees all the time, and it couldn't hold all my weight anyway. By the time I got back to Mt Eden, I was in pain. My arse hurt like hell, and boy, my wrists hurt. I was also partially deaf. :doh:

Getting the bike to normally accelerate was almost impossible (probably because I wasn't used to it either). It would gently start rolling, but sound as if it would die, so release the clutch more, which basically made it shoot off like a rocket, even in first gear.

In summary tho, what an awesome day... it was easier to ride the zx's at almost the same speed as the zzr, and I was soo calm afterwards as well, the bikes simply don't cause stress because you can pass soo easily.

Gremlin
10th December 2005, 17:26
Before I left for home afterwards, I joked with Mike if only I could buy right then and now.

He stated it was part of the sales process to make me ride home on my own bike to enforce the ability of the test bikes.

Boy was he ever right, I couldn't ride mine initially, first I rev'd it, then lurched it off the line. I was wondering why it wasn't accelerating, then noticed the revs were at 8k while still cold. Positioning felt like an enduro bike, so upright it was ridiculous.

I wasn't going fast on the 6 and 7, but when I moved off the line, I was wondering just how I ever thought I was fast before... :no:

Cheers to Mt Eden for happily letting me take the bikes out along the pohutukawa coast for testing

Now I'm still not really sure which bike would be better, both have big advantages and disadvantages... sheesh, shopping is sooo hard :killingme

edit: I really can't understand how you guys can ride the thous legally, but I suppose its what you get used to...
edit2: somebody buy my bike please... I want one of these :yes:

cowpoos
10th December 2005, 18:01
get the zx7r....they are gorgeous...especially in that paint sceme...
you don't often hear bad comments about the zx7r's...

Great write up also :2thumbsup

branco
10th December 2005, 20:26
as the owner of a for sale 98 x7r, i can tell you this, the aching wrists will vanish once you get some time on the bike. check my one out in the for sale column. am interested to see if my price is reasonable. they are great bikes that pull from low down, and for a sports bike this is quite rare. but whatever bike you buy, take it easy, these are not toys.

Matt Bleck
10th December 2005, 20:57
ZX7R is a must, absolutley brillant to ride, a little on the heavy side, but that won't matter to you. Also the ZX7R or ZXR 750 has been around since about 88 - 89 so by 95 - 96 the bike was well refined. Which means they are a very reliable bike with a bullet proof gearbox.

Go for it, but as branco sez treat with respect!!

skelstar
10th December 2005, 22:26
Good write up dude...so hanging out for a big bike so Im living vicariously through you instead.:)

aff-man
11th December 2005, 09:32
Good write up man. Sounds like you had fun. The zx7r will handel way better but you'll pay for it. As to taking off the line i have the same problem now that i have the arrow on. You could get the carbs rejetted but i just ride the clutch a bit more.

Sounds like you've found a winner..... so when you going in to get it then we can go see how she compares with the gixxer....

p.s. if you really gave it balls the 6 should come up in first and the 7 would possibly come up in second(maybe a little bounce needed):banana: :banana:

limbimtimwim
11th December 2005, 09:39
Now I'm still not really sure which bike would be better, both have big advantages and disadvantages... sheesh, shopping is sooo hardWho cares!? They are both the correct colour!

I've always had a thing for the ZX-7R. It looks just that little bit cooler than he ZXR750.

Performance Bikes magazine have purchased a slightly sad ZX-7R in their Janurary issue (Which I got on the 6th of December, January has moved!!) and going to spend some money on it, making it a better. Perhaps you should buy the Feb issue when it comes out (Heh, I wonder if that is next week) and see what they do to it.

Fordy
11th December 2005, 10:45
ZX7R is a must, absolutley brillant to ride, a little on the heavy side, but that won't matter to you. Also the ZX7R or ZXR 750 has been around since about 88 - 89 so by 95 - 96 the bike was well refined. Which means they are a very reliable bike with a bullet proof gearbox.

Go for it, but as branco sez treat with respect!!

:yes: Wheras the 6 wasn't REALLY sorted until the G1, '98 on (i'm not slating the F, just the G was a major redesign that K stuck with till 2003(?) when the B came out, tho they did bore the engine out for the A.

The 7 is an iconic design, if you can live with the weight at low speed. Just get some plugs and save your ears.

JohnBoy
12th December 2005, 12:50
Just recently sold my 93 ZX7RR after more than 2 years of ownership. Even after giving it the mad flogging (including racing for 1/2 season) and flipping it end over end a couple of times it still ran like a dream! best of luck to you mate! i know its not an easy choice

iwilde
21st December 2005, 21:58
How's the search going Gremlin? Any more test piloting?

Gremlin
22nd December 2005, 16:17
No, no more test piloting. Lots of making lists of bikes, then crossing them off when they weren't viable :weep:

I really really fancy the zx7r, but finding one that is in good nick, and not sold is proving hard...

edit: started a thread looking for them: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=22109

limbimtimwim: thanks for the heads up, just got the december one, when do the issues normally come out??

loosebruce
24th December 2005, 00:41
ZX7R's are the horn, i fucken love them to bits, close to the best looking bike on the planet. Almost brought one a while back but it was a bit rough, so settled with the TL, maybe in a little while when i look at buying another bike i will look for a 7R but finding a lter 98> SP model is a toughie, not too many round which is the only one i'd buy.

Buy the 7R the 600 is a waste of time in my books, just as heavy no where near as sorted as the 7R, plus the looks of the 7 are timeless, up there with the TL1000R.