PDA

View Full Version : rgv250 or rg150?

flash
10th December 2005, 17:49
hello all.

ive been looking for a rgv250 for months now but just had a thought...

would it be stupid just to get a rg150 until i get my full (around mid next year), then sell it and get a 400+.
i was just thinking this because some really nice 400's come along usally being in better condition than the 250's and 2/3's the price

the way im thinking is that all bikes go round courners at roughly the same speed and thats the real fun, not blitzing down a straight

any thoughts are welcomed

ZorsT
10th December 2005, 17:58
you have the right idea,

although, 2-smoker 250's aren't really that dare

flash
10th December 2005, 18:03
you have the right idea,

although, 2-smoker 250's aren't really that dare

their not dear, but usally trashed

flash
10th December 2005, 18:05
i always thought a two stoke 250 would be good because it would teach me alot about bikes...like their cruelty and brutality.. but at least it would make me a very competent rider ;)

miSTa
10th December 2005, 18:18
If you're looking to move up when you get your full then personally I wouldn't be too bothered about 'now' (a hack if you will) but what I could get in the future. From what I've seen of RG150's you couldn't go too far wrong for 'now'. YMMV.

flash
10th December 2005, 18:23
well if i got a two stroke 250, i probably wouldnt bother upgrading for a long while. if i got the 150, the day i get my licence ild upgrade.

but i mean if i get the 150, when i uprade ill be getting a more reliable bike (4stroke) thats just as fast or faster than the 250 for the same price (150 wont get much deprciation)

miSTa
10th December 2005, 18:32
well if i got a two stroke 250, i probably wouldnt bother upgrading for a long while....

I heard that one before too. Just remember though that for the 150 you should be paying between $1000-$1500 (and like you very little depreciation). Best of luck mate.

flash
10th December 2005, 19:53
was just talking to my dad about the idea, and he thinks that a 150 would just be to slow and disapointing. i had a 250 two stroke before for the road, but it was a street legal dirt bike so it didnt have a very good top speed. whats the top speed for a rg150?

im not one for speeding *cough*, but the way i see it, the faster it is, th better acceleration and crusing speed it has. he said i wouldnt want a 150cc if i was riding all the way to auckland, that true?

James Deuce
10th December 2005, 20:04
It's not the bike, it's the rider. If you want a graphic illustration of that, get Two Smoker to wheel his RG150 out, you can borrow my R6 and I'll guarantee that he'll get from point a to point b on the Rg150 quicker than you'll manage after 6 months of practising the same course on the R6. Just to make it more humiliating we'll make it a 15 minute long ride and give you 10 minutes head start.

Two Smoker will still get there first, and he'll pass you round the outside of a corner where you have knee down, foot peg scraping, and the rear spun up. Probably going faster than the theoretical top speed of the RG150 too.

Buy a bike, Learn how to ride. Don't worry THAT much about what it is. If you're worried about how you'll look on the bike then you're not buying it for yourself, you're buying to to fulfill your perceptions of other people's perception of you.

flash
10th December 2005, 20:09
i know all about how its the rider, and how a great rider on a small bike can piss all over a normal rider on a big bike, but i mean if i wanted to ride to auckland (2hr ride) wouldnt a 150 struggle with that? wouldnt it be reving to the max the whole ride?

James Deuce
10th December 2005, 20:14
i know all about how its the rider, and how a great rider on a small bike can piss all over a normal rider on a big bike, but i mean if i wanted to ride to auckland (2hr ride) wouldnt a 150 struggle with that? wouldnt it be reving to the max the whole ride?

No.

I commuted from Auckland to Wellington for 3 months on an RG250, and it was fine. I used to go to and from Auckland on my GSXR250 every long weekend when I had that too and it was fine. An RG150 will sit comfortably on 100km/hr al day.

Bear in mind that a 2 stroke is more efficient if you are giving it a bit of stick, and it's less likely to cold seize if you're cruising in 5th instead of 6th. You will get the odd head wind that means you may have to go down two gears to maintain headway, but then most single cylinder 4-stroke 250s need the same sort of encouragement from time to time too.

Racey Rider
10th December 2005, 21:50
I did 2.5 hours to Manfield, a days track riding, and Most of the way home in one day on my KR150. They handle it no problem! You can cruise at 130km/h if you wanted too. Their top speed is getting close to 180km/h in the right conditions. They are cheap to buy and fun to ride. Try one! I wouldn't hesitate to ride it from NP to Tauranga and back, if it was Registored/WoF'ed.

KLOWN
10th December 2005, 21:51
was just talking to my dad about the idea, and he thinks that a 150 would just be to slow and disapointing. i had a 250 two stroke before for the road, but it was a street legal dirt bike so it didnt have a very good top speed. whats the top speed for a rg150?

im not one for speeding *cough*, but the way i see it, the faster it is, th better acceleration and crusing speed it has. he said i wouldnt want a 150cc if i was riding all the way to auckland, that true?

I have an rg150 and it will sit at 120 all day at 8thou revs it red lines at 12and 1/2thou theoretical top speed is 180 I can only get it up to 170, i think this is cause wind resistance. After about 2 and a half hours i get sore in my legs and wrists but, I've been riding for less than a month and people say it will get better. I reckon it's a great bike. There are alot of bike out there that are faster but I really enjoy this bike. Also i've been told it is pretty comparable in acceleration to a 250cbr rr or a 250zxr.

Beemer
10th December 2005, 22:26
I bought a new RG150 in 1998 to learn to ride on and I kept it for four years because I loved it so much! I was told I would get bored on it as soon as I got my full licence, but you know what? I NEVER got bored on it! I got a sore arse and aching wrists at times, but I never got bored!

I didn't do a lot of long trips on it, but when my husband was doing the 1000 Miler one year, I rode up to Turangi to meet him and turned around and rode back again a few hours later and it did the job admirably.

The bike never gave me any trouble while I had it, although the power valve was getting a little tired when I traded it in. Jimdaworm bought it several owners later and he's just sold it to Alarumba so it's still going strong seven years later.

A true top speed is most likely about 165 - the speedos overread on them by quite a bit, but it certainly goes fast enough when you want it to. It may not have the accelleration going up hills, but if you drop it down a gear or two you should be fine.

But as for being disappointed, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised instead.

justsomeguy
10th December 2005, 23:22
You are in pretty much the same situation I was 2 days ago. I bought the mintest 4 stroke 250 I could find. I did this because:

1) It will last well and be reliable
2) Provided I don't crash I should not loose too much when I sell it

Have you ridden a CBR or ZXR 250?? They are pretty fast bikes as far as non-full license bikes are concerned. They get up to around 150 k's quite well and if you are already taking corners at over 150 then :not: there's a top end of around 170 - real world speed if you're into that sorta thing.

Test ride all of them. I think a ZXR handles a lot better mainly because it's easier to ride. On a CBR you sit upright like a sports tourer......

inlinefour
11th December 2005, 08:45
their not dear, but usally trashed

But a 2 stroker is easily rebuilt.:yes:

flash
11th December 2005, 09:08
But a 2 stroker is easily rebuilt.:yes:

its just more money to spend that i dont have:cry: , what if the gearbox blew or something like that?

SPORK
11th December 2005, 10:10
If ANYONE is selling or knows of someone selling an RG150 soon, say, around January 2006 give me a hollar, because I'll finally have got the money! Excellent!

Magua
11th December 2005, 10:22
Rg150s are fun, but more power would be nice. My vote goes for the 250 four stroke as my clapped out fzr could still take on a Ceilca GT4 whereas I lost to a Crx SiR on my rg. SiR = 97.3kW at the wheels.
Rg = Unknown.

Rg 150 pwns the fzr though, Brrrrrrrrrrring ning ning ning ning. All my friends hate it. :D

Sketchy_Racer
11th December 2005, 10:37
its just more money to spend that i dont have:cry: , what if the gearbox blew or something like that?

it wont ever, if you treat it nicely and use good oil.... mabey a clutch every 10000 km or somethin but thats it

flash
11th December 2005, 11:34
it wont ever, if you treat it nicely and use good oil.... mabey a clutch every 10000 km or somethin but thats it

when i get one of these bikes dont worry ill be looking after it VERY well, its just that i dont trust what the guy(s) before me did or didnt do to it

Highlander
11th December 2005, 12:12
I would have thought the important thing is get a bike and do the Km's.
Experience is the key, and you won't get that without a bike (your current bike is listed as sold).
Reading the info on sites like this is good, but is all theory until you experience it for yourself.

flash
11th December 2005, 12:20
I would have thought the important thing is get a bike and do the Km's.
Experience is the key, and you won't get that without a bike (your current bike is listed as sold).
Reading the info on sites like this is good, but is all theory until you experience it for yourself.

but i want help to know what bike to 'do the kms' on
I'm quite experienced (relatively). i ride a kdx 200 every Sunday on tail rides and only sold my other bike a while ago (rode everyday beforehand).

i was thinking about a TS 250 because it has the potential to be a very fast bike especially around the corners and hopefully with experience i can do that. also i want a bike that i can take to track days and have a hell of a lot of fun

James Deuce
11th December 2005, 12:21

Any bike. It doesn't matter.

Highlander
11th December 2005, 12:29

If it were my money being spent I'd want the best I could get for the dollars I was prepared to spend. Best being in priority order Mechanically sound then appearance.

I could be wrong but while both 150 and 250 are fast enough to get you in trouble with the Law, the one that will cruise at YOUR SPEED with the least effort will be more enjoyable, because you won't feel as though you are pushing hard all the time, allowing more time to take in what is going on around you, and think about what you are doing.

Racey Rider
11th December 2005, 14:18
I'm an experienced rider, but I still enjoy pushing a 150 round the track to it's limits.
Another thing to think about is crash costs. When I had my KR250sp I would aways be concerned about the cost of crashing it. That meant I didn't push it as hard as poss in the corners. The 150 is so light, if you crash damage is normally minimal.

What do your friends ride? Sometime it's good to be on similar machinery size wise.

flash
11th December 2005, 14:24
I'm an experienced rider, but I still enjoy pushing a 150 round the track to it's limits.
Another thing to think about is crash costs. When I had my KR250sp I would aways be concerned about the cost of crashing it. That meant I didn't push it as hard as poss in the corners. The 150 is so light, if you crash damage is normally minimal.

What do your friends ride? Sometime it's good to be on similar machinery size wise.

only one of my friends ride (getting more though) and he rides a 4stroke 250 enduro bike, any of these bikes im looking at would be too good. i want to use the bike on trips shown in the "meetings and events", so i want a bit of pep to atleast sorter keep up with the slower ones :2thumbsup

bigbadwolf
11th December 2005, 19:50
aprilia rs250... mmm... they are sexy.... make sure you have a spare $8000 up you're sleeve tho

Potzman
12th December 2005, 12:49
Hey dude,
I have a KR150 2 smoker, just started(road riding) a couple of months ago.
Altho i do get lots of shit for riding a little lawn mower i find it sooooo easy and fun to ride compared to the heavy 250 4 strokes, much better round town. I have been on a few of the long( over 500 km) kb rides round coro loop etc on the little 150 and have managed to keep up with every body quite nicely, even impress a few people with the corner speed ;-)

Get the 150, you wont be alone on the rides.

Sketchy_Racer
12th December 2005, 13:33
how much you looking at speending?? iv got a friend with a 150 for sale.....2004 for $2500....

crazyxr250rider
13th December 2005, 11:08
i was thinking about a TS 250 because it has the potential to be a very fast bike especially around the corners and hopefully with experience i can do that. also i want a bike that i can take to track days and have a hell of a lot of fun
Do you Mean a Suzuki TS250 they're dirt bikes arent they?

flash
13th December 2005, 15:34
i couldt be botherd writing two stroke, so i shortend it ;)

flash
18th December 2005, 21:24
ok everyone. I'm bitting my tongue here but i might now be getting a 250 4stroke, i had a test ride and it felt a lot weirder than my two strokes (what I'm used to), shit theres just so much engine breaking though.

the way I'm thinking, ill keep it for around a year until i can sit my full and get next to no depreciation when i sell it again.

i went to taupo (track day) and there were a couple of rgvs and cbrs and they were about the same on the track

Sketchy_Racer
18th December 2005, 21:32
i may have one for sale soon ish maybe :)

flash
18th December 2005, 21:36
any pics?, just incase.....

flash
18th December 2005, 21:37
by the way the bike i test rode was a yamaha fzr, he wants around $3500, too dear?

vtec
16th January 2006, 14:44
From someone who's owned an RGV 250, and currently owns a CBR250RR. I would have to say that a 4 stroke 250 will probably work out cheaper if you kept it for a couple of years.

My RGV used twice as much gas as my CBR
My RGV cost me ten times as much in maintenance/repairs
My RGV was faster, but trickier to ride (I don't mind it being tricky, but I like the control I've got on the CBR)
The RGV was a lot cheaper to buy (RGV $2k, CBR $5k)
The RGV sounded like a lawnmower
The CBR sounds like a real engine, (and an absolute screamer when you take it up high)
The RGV smoked a fair bit

Although if you could find a relatively new two stroke 150, I personally would be keen on giving one a go.

Also I've just found out about the streetstock racing class. Check here for info: http://www.vicclub.co.nz/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=68
It allows 4 stroke 250s and 2 stroke 150's, cheapest decent racing class out there.

Coyote
16th January 2006, 14:52
i always thought a two stoke 250 would be good because it would teach me alot about bikes...like their cruelty and brutality.. but at least it would make me a very competent rider ;)
Get an old 80 :bleh: Several times I wheelied it to the point of landing on my back. The older 80s had no powervalves so they were very brutal. Very fun bikes though