PDA

View Full Version : bought an ipod video today ...help!

skidMark
10th December 2005, 21:07
ok so i buy my new ipod video today.....

and get ět home....video won't go onto it wrong format...so eventually find on ipod website..

you need to have quicktime 7 PRO and on the cd they give me quiktime 7 ...which doesnt vhave the export feature to change it into the correct format...

ok then i think ill just get pro but guess what they want me to pay for it ...i just spent 500 bucks on an ipod and they don't give me the right software....

can anybody tell me how to get round this without buying it

as i have no credit card and no way my parents will let me put thier details online..

i hear you can get some linux ipod software?

or does somebody know of some free software that will export it into ipod format ( dunno wat it puts videos into ) (i can get audio to work)

help i wanna use it

Cheers: MA

WINJA
10th December 2005, 21:25
I GET SICK OF TECHNOLOGY LIKE THIS AND ALL ITS PROBLEMS , THERES BEEN TIMES THAT ID LIKE TO KILL BILL BY SMASHING MY COMPUTER ON HIS HEAD

John
10th December 2005, 21:26
another reason apple are queer.

heaps of free shit out there, google.com, and I am sure apple have forums.

Colapop
10th December 2005, 21:30
I dunno about tech shit either but www.download.com may have what yer after.

skidMark
10th December 2005, 21:39
you are a viking horned god lol....

http://www.download.com/3001-2140_4-10468630.html?idl=n

still has a watermark across it cus it's only trial but itll do for now

thanks mate... rep givin forgot all about that site

danb
10th December 2005, 23:17
Oh the horrid ipods! :bash: :killingme

bugjuice
11th December 2005, 06:13
it is a bit shit what apple have done here. They restricted the siszing of the vid on the ipod so that punters could get the best quality for the smallest size. So to do this, you need QT pro. QT7 is the same thing, but the pro part of it is just that you've bought the key for it at US$29.99. Older versions of QT (of which there's loads of keys/hacks on the internet for) doesn't work, cos it's only the new version of QT that has the development for the iPod vids. There are a few sites now, that have iPod vids to download so you can put them on the iPod, so go check out a few of those from Apple.com. And there are other bits of software that will convert files to fit the iPod, but you'll have to pay for those too. Cos it's new, you gotta pay for everything!! Give it 6 months, and there'll start to be a few freebies floating around. Do a search for iPod Video on versiontracker.com and see what pops up.

The other reason Apple want you to pay for QT, is not just cos it converts for iPod video format, but they have chucked a fair bit of stuff in there, for iTunes, QT HD, cutting and pasting, converting etc. It is actually quite an underrated powerfull app, but it has so many jobs, that most people only want it for one or the other, and don't want to shell out for the rest the aren't/can't use.

If you want to watch trailers, there's a few now at http://www.apple.com/trailers/ and about half way down on the right in yellow are iPod trailers. You can also go to the apple store in iTunes and download podcasts. There's now a vid-podcast thing that got snook in without being announced. No idea what they're like, but put it this way - anyone with a cam corder and a brain cell can post stuff up now, I think..

enjoy your toy ;)

dawnrazor
11th December 2005, 10:52
not to suggest your somehow in the wrong here, but it clearly states that you need QT7 on the box.
Also if your consider that ipod is essentially an apple product aimed at apple users and as such most apple users will have iLife which has QT7 as standard then wheres the injustice here.
I can think of worse cases of big company consumer buggery then this

Badcat
11th December 2005, 11:07

and get ět home....video won't go onto it wrong format...so eventually find on ipod website..

you need to have quicktime 7 PRO and on the cd they give me quiktime 7 ...which doesnt vhave the export feature to change it into the correct format...

ok then i think ill just get pro but guess what they want me to pay for it ...i just spent 500 bucks on an ipod and they don't give me the right software....

can anybody tell me how to get round this without buying it

as i have no credit card and no way my parents will let me put thier details online..

i hear you can get some linux ipod software?

or does somebody know of some free software that will export it into ipod format ( dunno wat it puts videos into ) (i can get audio to work)

help i wanna use it

hey mark.
a couple of good free utilities to repurpose the video:
windows videora:
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/

mac isquint:
http://homepage.mac.com/tylerl82/

they will sort you.

k

SPman
11th December 2005, 11:25
Why would you sell a product, without the software to actually operate the f**kin thing!
If it needs QT7Pro to operate, in my book, its a breach of the fair trading or consumer guaratees act, to not include it.No use including a program that only"partly" runs. Ive been caught like that before on a product and they get no more business from me!
Im with WINJA on this one!

Badcat
11th December 2005, 13:40
Why would you sell a product, without the software to actually operate the f**kin thing!
If it needs QT7Pro to operate, in my book, its a breach of the fair trading or consumer guaratees act, to not include it.No use including a program that only"partly" runs. Ive been caught like that before on a product and they get no more business from me!
Im with WINJA on this one!

the iPod is a music player.
you don't need QT Pro to operate it as marketed.
take a look here to see how it's marketed in the USA:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html
the video function is a small add-on to support music videos, video podcasts and TV SHOW episodes, downloaded from itunes music store. Apple haven't given us the ability to use the ITMS in nz.

it's not marketed as a do-all video device and doesn't support multiple video formats, as the content partners (like fox, NBC and the music companies) in the international ITMS offering wouldn't participate if the device could be used to steal video content (ie ripping a dvd to DIVX etc)
let's face it, the only reason people want DIVX support for example is to "backup" copyrighted video content.
Flame me all you like, but that's the story behind the video format in iPod video.

K

Slingshot
11th December 2005, 17:38
Can we assume that the videos you want to upload to your gayiPod are of motorcycles?

Badcat
11th December 2005, 17:43
Can we assume that the videos you want to upload to your gayiPod are of motorcycles?

ooh, you must be L33T!
is that us iPod owners pwned?
strike now, you've really got us on the ropes.

skidMark
11th December 2005, 17:46
duhhh lol

of course

i got "givin"a serial code that turned it into pro ;)

but it's slow as hell to convert

ill try some of the link you guys gave me this conversion is f***ing rediculous

Badcat
11th December 2005, 17:50
duhhh lol

of course

i got "givin"a serial code that turned it into pro ;)

but it's slow as hell to convert

ill try some of the link you guys gave me this conversion is f***ing rediculous

go for videora if you're a windows user.
QT pro is as slow as a wet week.

K

pyrocam
11th December 2005, 19:01
me and buggy had a chat about this the other day. easiest solution is to get the latest version of quicktime and spam serial numbers into it until you get the right one. a mate of mine did this (I dont condone stealing from apple) and went through about 25 keys before getting the right one.

www.astalavista.box.sk

happy hunting

Slingshot
11th December 2005, 19:04
ooh, you must be L33T!
is that us iPod owners pwned?
strike now, you've really got us on the ropes.
Haha...I don't actually have anything against them. They do seem to be the cool thing to have at the moment, kinda like drinking short blacks or red wine...I sometimes wonder if people actually like using iPods (or drinking short blacks or red wind) or if they just do it because they perceive it as the cool thing to do. There's a woman just like that at work, she'll do anything if she thinks others might think that she's cool because she's doing it.

And the post was really to try and understand why this thread was posted here and not "rave on".

Suney
11th December 2005, 21:19
Download this, this is what I use
Videora Ipod converter
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/download.php

skidMark
11th December 2005, 21:29
thats what i am trying to use just now...but it's going funny:S it does the vid too fast for the audio so it plays the video like 4 times during length of the song ...do i have to set it up or something? :S can't find any obvious settimng for it what mode do i have to set it to convert to or is there another setting to stop it doing this?

Suney
11th December 2005, 21:36
i think you might have the wrong birate or resolution
ipods use 384kbps with 320x240
i can't remember
goto www.ilounge.com and browse the forums there, theres heaps of articles there n stuff
what colour did you end up getting?

skidMark
11th December 2005, 21:43
black because i bought a white phone earlier this year...scratched like crazy...also figured the black would make the video stand out rather than the distraction of white

skidMark
11th December 2005, 21:44
i wouldve thought that would affect the audio also though?

DogBreath
11th December 2005, 22:02

Try this link
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/5929/
use pretty much any converter, on a mac use ffmpegX, on a intel use ffmpeg, should be free (ripped) for windoze machine. $50 on mac.
Pay attention to macroblock explanation, this is important.
Also note hi res may not be necessary if you do not want to play back on TV, so go for lower res, more vids/disc eh.
Have fun

skidMark
11th December 2005, 22:15
ahh now maybe i have my frame rate a tad to high ill have to check what it's at

skidMark
11th December 2005, 23:12
tryed changing bitrate and everything wouldnt work....

so i gave in and tried a different vid...and it worked :doh:

i guess it was just that one vid ddnt want to convert properly for some stupid reason?

ugh computers me and my pal bill >>> :eyepoke:

John
12th December 2005, 00:14
tryed changing bitrate and everything wouldnt work....

so i gave in and tried a different vid...and it worked :doh:

i guess it was just that one vid ddnt want to convert properly for some stupid reason?

ugh computers me and my pal bill >>> :eyepoke:
bullshit you dont have a pal, nor would "bill" even consider been seen in public with you.