PDA

View Full Version : Cagers perception of your speed.

FROSTY
11th December 2005, 14:45
Something Ive been noticing lately is How SLOW a modern sprotbike seems to be going when looking at it front on.
You just dont look like you are going as fast as you are
Especially in a 50km/h zone .
I've almost pulled out on a couple of guys who were going a "tadd" faster than the speed limit and I've got I think a hugely higher bike awareness than your average cager.
Just keep that in mind when bearing down on a cage preparing to turn or perhaps pulling out of a sidestreet.

OHH and guys Yea I know they should look etc etc--YADDA YADDA--You are still the poor sap with a busted bike or worse -

Gremlin
11th December 2005, 14:54
Agree with you Frosty, although I think some cagers may be almost a little scared of a modern sprotsbiker kitted out in full leather...

The ultimate protection: A bloody loud exhaust that makes you seem as if you are bigger (ie truck) and going a helluva lot faster than you really are :devil2:

On my test ride of the really loud 7, cars were looking for me in traffic, and moving over etc thinking I was probably some sort of emergency vehicle...

It felt awesome to be noticed :2thumbsup

note: when riding a bike like that, you really should have earplugs :weep:

The Stranger
11th December 2005, 15:30
I have seen this argument used as a reason why you should NOT ride with your head light on.

Not advocating one way or the other, but it is said that with the head light on it is more difficult to judge speed of an oncoming bike.

onearmedbandit
11th December 2005, 15:40
I have seen this argument used as a reason why you should NOT ride with your head light on.

Not advocating one way or the other, but it is said that with the head light on it is more difficult to judge speed of an oncoming bike.

That's easily sorted by keeping the nose of the bike pointing at the sky!!

But yes you're right Frosty, especially taking off from intersections. For example car parked on the side of the road in front of you but across the intersection. Driver of said car wants to perform a u-turn, looks over their shoulder, sees the redlight controlling you, looks forward again to check no oncoming traffic and pulls out. During this the light has turned green and you've taken off. They may even recheck behind them and see the light turn green but still think they've got enough time before you become a concern. Seen this happen oh so many times. Me, well I try and ride like everyone on the road wants to kill me. And I've never been hit by a car.

Eurodave
11th December 2005, 16:49
The ultimate protection: A bloody loud exhaust that makes you seem as if you are bigger (ie truck) and going a helluva lot faster than you really are :devil2:On my test ride of the really loud 7, cars were looking for me in traffic, and moving over etc thinking I was probably some sort of emergency vehicle...

I can only agree wholeheartedly, LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!!:headbang:
[especially when they make beautifull V Twin music while theyre doing it]

Gremlin
11th December 2005, 17:30
Can see how that might be, and see your position, but I'll ignore that theory, as it isn't as important as actual visibility.

I know when travelling, I notice vehicles that have headlights on at unusual times (ie day) more. So for motorbikes, this is good.

For this same reason, I'm against the US idea of all vehicles to have headlights on. We would no longer stand out.

avgas
11th December 2005, 17:36
I dont trust anything drivers do/dont see anymore - which is why there is a pipe on the bike. They seem to hear better than see these days.

Waylander
11th December 2005, 17:37
Except yours is sideways!! lol

For this same reason, I'm against the US idea of all vehicles to have headlights on. We would no longer stand out.

Never heard of that. After sunset yes they have to be on but that is just common sense. Never heard of anything saying they had to be on during the day.

Gremlin
11th December 2005, 17:56
Never heard of that. After sunset yes they have to be on but that is just common sense. Never heard of anything saying they had to be on during the day.
My mum was in LA, all the cars had their lights on (hardwired I believe)... did I jump to a conclusion??

scumdog
11th December 2005, 18:23

When you're doing 130kph out on the open road and Joe Farmer is about to pull out on front of you as a logging truck is going the other way your LOUD PIPES won't do jack-shit about make Mr Farmer aware of you existence.:slap:

Motu
11th December 2005, 18:35
I think some cagers may be almost a little scared of a modern sprotsbiker kitted out in full leather...

Doubt it,what has a sportsbike rider ever done to invoke fear - but there is another type of motorcyclist that car drivers have always taken notice of because of fear...change your bike and gear and see what reaction you get.

Eurodave
11th December 2005, 19:11
Doubt it,what has a sportsbike rider ever done to invoke fear - but there is another type of motorcyclist that car drivers have always taken notice of because of fear...change your bike and gear and see what reaction you get.

The addition of a white fully faired touring bike ie Beemer R or K series or even a Kwaka GTR or Honda ST1100 seems to enhance said effect, esp if you wear a plain white full face helmet!!

FROSTY
11th December 2005, 20:43
Or if ya ride a um--white looking FJ1200 --has the same effect funnilly enough
But yea Um now ya mention it the bikes with headlights on were harder to speed check

scumdog
11th December 2005, 20:45

In case (for some) you are being too obtuse, I presume you mean that a person riding a noisy Harley with ape-hangars and wearing black (tassled?) leathers with a black helmet and wrap-around shades would be percieved to be more of a 'danger' to the average motorist?????

Motu
11th December 2005, 21:08
You got it Scumdog....

Coming home on the Northen MW last night about 9.00pm in the Pajero with my boys,I was going to pull out into the ''fast'' lane when I saw a couple of bikes coming,so let them come past,a couple of Harley's,as I check my mirror to pull out I see another bike - with no headlamp!! I was a bit concerned as they were cutting traffic,but the lumbering Pajero wasn't up to reeling them in.As we got to the Bridge one of the other riders had noticed and waved the lightless bike between the other 2,then they set off through the traffic again.Good move,but I wished they noticed earlier.If they were on moskito sportsbikes I reckon the guy would of gone down - everyone knew what was coming through.

You ever try to sneak up on a cat? Their ears turn backwards and track you.....Harley's do that to car drivers.

cowpoos
11th December 2005, 21:08
When you're doing 130kph out on the open road and Joe Farmer is about to pull out on front of you as a logging truck is going the other way your LOUD PIPES won't do jack-shit about make Mr Farmer aware of you existence.:slap:

you have a problem with farmers MR dog? :wait:

scumdog
11th December 2005, 21:13
you have a problem with farmers MR dog? :wait:

No cowpoos, just an example of how bike riders EXPECT everybody to SEE them coming (c.b. SEES ME COMING AT TIMES - BUT THIS IS A FAMILY SITE):doh:

cowpoos
11th December 2005, 21:14
I have thought about this too....and funnily enough happened to ask a cop [at a rest area...he borrowed a cig off me....lol] one day on his veiw of cars pulling out in front of bikes even when they have looked right at you....

he said: its really not obvious...but its because in his view the point of refernce someone looks at a motorbike is higher than a car...ie:top of the fairing or rider....and because they are higher off the ground than a cars/trucks point of reference [grill/number plate/lights] its percived that they a further down the road...and not as close as the seem....especially true at night with the height of the light on a bike on a unlit road...

it may not be fact...but it makes alittle sence to me...

cowpoos
11th December 2005, 21:16
No cowpoos, just an example of how bike riders EXPECT everybody to SEE them coming (c.b. SEES ME COMING AT TIMES - BUT THIS IS A FAMILY SITE):doh:

:niceone:

2 characters

Eurodave
11th December 2005, 21:20
In case (for some) you are being too obtuse, I presume you mean that a person riding a noisy Harley with ape-hangars and wearing black (tassled?) leathers with a black helmet and wrap-around shades would be percieved to be more of a 'danger' to the average motorist?????

I gotta say that I am WAY more concerned about being nabbed by a cop & having my wallet lightened for some trivial alleged traffic infringement than I ever am about being monstered by some Hells Angel wannabe

Drunken Monkey
11th December 2005, 21:51
....and because they are higher off the ground than a cars/trucks point of reference [grill/number plate/lights] its percived that they a further down the road....

That is counter-intuitive => objects of any given equal height appear to be shorter (i.e. smaller) when further away. If a motorcyclist is higher than a car, it should appear to the observer to be closer than the observer thinks.

FROSTY
11th December 2005, 21:58
actually mr SD I thought motu was refering to the motorcyclists with red n blue lights and a white helmet

scumdog
11th December 2005, 22:01
From my (work) experience a vehicle approaching in a straight line towards you does not give any particular indication of speed, HOWEVER a vehicle approaching at an obtuse angle (ie. coming towards you from around a curve in the road) looks like it is going quicker than it is actually is.:slap:

cowpoos
11th December 2005, 22:04
That is counter-intuitive => objects of any given equal height appear to be shorter (i.e. smaller) when further away. If a motorcyclist is higher than a car, it should appear to the observer to be closer than the observer thinks.

think about it for awhile...that was exactly what I said back at the cop...

my conclusion after a few hours riding was the same as the cops...

scumdog
11th December 2005, 22:05
actually mr SD I thought motu was refering to the motorcyclists with red n blue lights and a white helmet

Yeah right Mr Frosty - see post #15 on this thread ya bozo! (or is it Mr 'wind-up'??):lol: :lol: :killingme :killingme :wait:

Lou Girardin
12th December 2005, 07:22

Dead bloody right. If they can't hear a bloody siren, how are they going to hear a loud can?

BTW Scummy, next time she asks for a pearl necklace, she could mean the ones from oysters.:doh:

tracyprier
12th December 2005, 08:12
The addition of a white fully faired touring bike ie Beemer R or K series or even a Kwaka GTR or Honda ST1100 seems to enhance said effect, esp if you wear a plain white full face helmet!!

Have to agree with you there. Ok my bike IS an ex cop bike albeit CHP but it is almost identical to the 1150RT the motorway boys here are riding plus the crash bars etc.

I must say that since I have been riding this bike almost no one has cut me up on the motorway. Not sure if it's just the size of the bike or if it gets mistaken for a cop bike.

Either way I ain't complaining :)

Eurodave
12th December 2005, 08:20
Yep, theres a guy here in CHCH that has a white Kwaka GTR 1000 & he wears a white helmet too.......even I do a double take when I see him round town!!!

Eurodave
12th December 2005, 08:24
Just out of interest, my Guzzi in my profile pic ,that my brother is riding ,was an ex LAPD bike!!!
I restored it to its former glory. Took me about 5 years ! BTW, I wouldnt say no to one of the CHP's old Kwaka 1000's either,they look cool & I used to own a Z1000 a long time ago

TwoSeven
12th December 2005, 10:15
hmmm. no-one cuts me up and I ride a red bike (although white lid). Mind you, even when I put my black lid on they still dont cut me up.

Very seldom have any problems with car traffic. Must be something with the way I ride.

tracyprier
13th December 2005, 13:54
Just out of interest, my Guzzi in my profile pic ,that my brother is riding ,was an ex LAPD bike!!!
I restored it to its former glory. Took me about 5 years ! BTW, I wouldnt say no to one of the CHP's old Kwaka 1000's either,they look cool & I used to own a Z1000 a long time ago

Check these guys out:

http://stores.ebay.com/HOLLYWOOD-MOTORS

I came across them when looking for my RT-P

Korea
13th December 2005, 21:21
Bottom line is...
Don't ever count on car drivers to give way to you no matter how much in the right you are.
Wait until you're out of the city on the open road to stretch your bike's legs.
I have ridden in some of Asia's worst traffic and amongst the most inconsiderate drivers in the world for over 2 years without incident by just avoiding every possible opportunity for a 'situation' to develop long before it ever becomes one.

...oh, and of course <I>I rock!</I>
(Shortly thereafter the writer was steamrolled by a bus...)

FROSTY
15th December 2005, 07:10
But Korea--You only ride in carparks matey :bleh:

loosebruce
22nd December 2005, 23:38
I've got I think a hugely higher bike awareness than your average cager.

Pity about your parked car awarness matey :Pokey:

I dont really know what this thread is about but if i had a dollar for every time a cage has pulled out in front of me while i's pullin a 140kph minga in a 50kph area well i tell ya i'd have a new engine for the GSXR by now, bloody muppets, when are they guna learn i own the road.

Jackrat
14th January 2006, 19:28
Agree with you Frosty, although I think some cagers may be almost a little scared of a modern sprotsbiker kitted out in full leather...

The ultimate protection: A bloody loud exhaust that makes you seem as if you are bigger (ie truck) and going a helluva lot faster than you really are :devil2:

On my test ride of the really loud 7, cars were looking for me in traffic, and moving over etc thinking I was probably some sort of emergency vehicle...

note: when riding a bike like that, you really should have earplugs :weep:

Why would anybody be scared of a squid in full leathers,,what the fuck are they going to do,,give you the finger before they run away,,,oh yeah real scary that:wacko:

Pixie
16th January 2006, 23:36
Do you have a premature ejaculation problem? :laugh:

Pixie
16th January 2006, 23:39
The loud exhaust tactic is self delusion.

Get in a car, in traffic, say on the motorway with bikes filtering past and see if you can hear any of them coming.

Posh Tourer :P
17th January 2006, 03:28
think about it for awhile...that was exactly what I said back at the cop...

my conclusion after a few hours riding was the same as the cops...

You have references to position by other things on the road and around - speed is determined solely by bike going past other objects. There are more objects, closer to the focal point, lower down. If you focus up high you have less reference. Thus perhaps a perception of slower speed. You do it yourself, while riding - look at the difference in perception of speed depending on distance from reference points, for example between 50kmh on a minimoto and 50kmh on a 'real' bike....

sAsLEX
17th January 2006, 07:13

Get in a car, in traffic, say on the motorway with bikes filtering past and see if you can hear any of them coming.

you can , especially the potato gang or other big v twins, that is if they aint doing +30 more than you

scumdog
17th January 2006, 07:49

I agree - sure, downtown at generally below 50km speed they will hear - but often don't identify with which direction the noise is approaching from.

On the motorway it can make the driver close to you (alongside) aware you are there.

Open road or busy urban street? By the time they hear you it's likely to be all over if they're doing something stupid.