PDA

View Full Version : NUMB + NUMB = ?

Maha
11th December 2005, 21:21
Thats right, two numbs, in this case my hands ,after about 20kms or so they start, it dosent take long to flick them back into shape but why does this happen and what could i be doing to make it happen?? Some helpful suggestions on why this is happening and how to rectify it would be much appreciated.

scumdog
11th December 2005, 21:25
You're riding an iron Harley?

Sometimes it can be 'cos your handle-bars are at the wrong angle and putting pressure on the area of your hand below your 'pinky' (little finger)

nudemetalz
11th December 2005, 21:25
Is it the buzziness of your machine perhaps?
Maybe re-gear it for a lower or higher rpm to be out of the "vibes" zone.

Fordy
11th December 2005, 22:07
Grip more with the knees, less with the hands.

It's the blood flow, bro.

If you feel it coming on flex the fingers to get the blood flowing round the fingers; thumbs hooked inder the grips, pinkies pointing forward, flex those pinkies, in, out, in, out etc.

XP@
11th December 2005, 22:12
Could be a few things...

RELAX! you don't need to hold the bars that tight. you only need a touch you turn. try slowing down a few kph and see if you still get the problem.

If you let go of your bars at 50kph or 100kph does the front end shake? if so check out your tyres are they in good nick & balenced? is the frame straight?

As scumdog says sort out your bar position (not usually easy with clip on's). Make sure your levers are in a good position, so when in your usual riding position your fingertips are touching the lever and your hands / wrists are in-line.

Are your gloves too tight?

Zed
11th December 2005, 22:26
Sore wrists and hands... (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=19725&highlight=hands)

crashe
11th December 2005, 22:46
Sore wrists and hands... (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=19725&highlight=hands)

Check out post 21 on that link....
It could be the start of CTS.

Maha
12th December 2005, 14:14
Cheers guys, read that other link, i have the same riding position as my mates ZX9, he also had the numb thing for about a month or so but no longer, so i guess its cos' i maybe holding on too tight and or the position of my hands needs to straighten up.........Fordy's advice sounds a little ''Richard Simmons'' to me but he may have a point........all good thanxguys

Hitcher
12th December 2005, 14:42
Start with your gloves. Try a larger size. Pressure on your fingers can contribute to pins-and-needles and other forms of numbness. Then make sure your levers are at the "right" position. Then start fannying around with the bars.

noyz
12th December 2005, 20:24
try riding a duke !! its a race between your wrists and arse as to which one goes numb first, i tried a throttle rocker and that helped a little but i took it off after knocking it a couple of times and scaring the shit out of myself as the bike unexpectedly launched foward. :doh: